Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Updated 9:10am PST on 12/15/23

The time has come!

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread: JEBINC’s installation tips and review of 1EV / EV Sportline CarPlay / Android Auto display kit IMG_0094

After some thought, I decided to break this up into two installments - so you are not waiting a week for information! This first installment will cover “initial thoughts” about the kit and installation tips. The second will focus on the kit’s performance and useability. Since I need to get familiar with everything, “Part II” will likely be a few days, to a week, in the making.

Key Highlights:
  • @EV Sportline put everything into this kit that you will need. The packaging is 1EV / EV Sportline branded and looks very professional (see attached picture).
  • PSA: Do watch all the videos and read the instructions first, as that will save you some time / answer questions you didn’t know you had until getting into it!
  • The aluminum mounting bracket is custom designed by @EV Sportline, and IS NOT some gargantuan generic suction cup contraption - Pat. Pending (see attached picture)
  • You get 1EV / EV Sportline support throughout its service life (they will still be in the phone directory); and do not have to deal with “fly by night” Chinese outfits and customer support challenges…
  • Firmware is 1EV/EV Sportline, and not some comical asian load with incorrect units displayed
  • The display is quite responsive to input. Many customizable features and options for many different things – and hence why I need to learn it all before providing the second installment (“Part II”) of this review.
  • I just had to try the BT Audio ASAP, coming from the typical “FM” broadcast “connectivity to the vehicle” mode that most of those cheap Amazon/Chinese products rely on. And it sounds great! Great news - Same as streaming audio from your phone to the Rivian. Night and day from my prior “FM” connection (old, cheap CarPlay unit I purchased last spring). Very happy with this!!!
  • I have a R1T that has the front 12v plug (few do; only the first 12,000 R1T serial numbers, if I recall correctly). Obviously, this is the easiest and quickest approach to power your new display, however, since most owners do not have this option, the @EV Sportline kit comes with the fuse panel hardware needed. Given this, I chose to follow the @EV Sportline instructions and videos – to see and report what it will be like for most of you! Do watch all the videos and read the instructions first, as that will same you some time and answer questions you didn’t know you had until getting into it!
  • Re #6, the installation took a bit of time as I was taking pictures and documenting all of the tips, etc. It was also cold, dark and cramped in my garage as I worked. The weather is just bad, so that was the best path on installation day.
  • Re video playback - Airplay youtube, or videos on your device only. Will NOT do Netflix, Amazon, etc.. It also has a built in basic media player to perhaps play stuff off a MicroSD card... Didn't test.
  • A member asked how easy it would be to add and remove. The simple answer is, “very easy/quick” is you are using the 12v dash plug to power your display. If so, all you would need to do is lift up the dash mat with either your plastic trim tools or screw drivers and pull the unit out. Then press the pad back in place. The sun will melt it back into factory status, being a skinned foam core part. If you wire it to the fuse box, removing all of that would take about as long as it took you to put it all in.
  • Visibility through the windshield is unimpeded! You still see dash mat and dash grill as you look over the display!
  • Compact 12v plug option (if you have the dash plug) https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...oid-auto-display-kit.22269/page-2#post-451371
  • "Initial thoughts" - So far, this is looking like a winner!!! - I plan to run maps on this display and the gauge screen on the main Rivian UI!

Installation Tips:

Installation Tip #1 – Mounting custom bracket to the display

The mounting screws are tiny, and two can be challenging to get started. Also, by design, there is a little play in the bracket before all screws are tightened to ensure all screws can be “started”.

Best procedure is to first “drop in” the two toughest “lower” screws through the bracket (see picture) and then insert the provided screw driver to “hold down” the first screw to loosely attach to the display (see attached picture). Next, screw this screw loosely into the first display threaded hole. Repeat this for the second lower screw. Then, loosely insert the two upper screws.

Next, we need to property align the loose bracket to the display, before tightening all four screws. Do this by pushing the bracket down as shown in the picture, then tighten all four screws. Bracket is now properly aligned to display (see attached picture). Note: The threaded inserts are “interference threads to ensure things don’t come loose (vs. using Loctite). The screwdriver provided works fine, but if you have a better, real fine tip Philips-head screwdriver that would be better.

Installation Tip #2 – Mounting the display and bracket under the dash mat

EV Sportline’s directions, narrative and videos (on product page / web site) are clear about how to best accomplish this step. I will add that things are more pliable if the dash mat is warmer, not 40 degrees in a cold damp garage. If the sun is out during your install, let the dash “catch some rays”. Definitely not required, which is why I list this as a “tip”. For me, it was cold and damp (and being anal), I used a hair dryer to warm things up (not necessary). I then used my set of plastic interior trim removal tools to make easy work of this (see attached picture). Note: The mat is attached to the main dash via those sturdy white plastic push pins. So, if you hear a pop and the mat pops up a little, all the easier. Simply push down on the mat when you’re finished.

Installation Tip 3 – Cable routing and securing

I used USB-C cable mount pads behind the main UI display to neatly hold the cable in place. EV Sportline will add these to production kits for you (smile).

Routing and securing are a “personal thing”. Since I had left over Gorilla seal tape, from my @EV Sportline running board installation (see link below), I used that for securing wires, and some double-sided tape to secure the “charging box” to the backside of the plastic fuse panel removed to gain access to the fuse panel.
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...x-running-boards-sliders-from-team-1ev.11589/

Photo Gallery

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread: JEBINC’s installation tips and review of 1EV / EV Sportline CarPlay / Android Auto display kit IMG_0034
Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread: JEBINC’s installation tips and review of 1EV / EV Sportline CarPlay / Android Auto display kit IMG_0035
Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread: JEBINC’s installation tips and review of 1EV / EV Sportline CarPlay / Android Auto display kit IMG_0036
Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread: JEBINC’s installation tips and review of 1EV / EV Sportline CarPlay / Android Auto display kit screw

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread: JEBINC’s installation tips and review of 1EV / EV Sportline CarPlay / Android Auto display kit IMG_0037

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread: JEBINC’s installation tips and review of 1EV / EV Sportline CarPlay / Android Auto display kit IMG_0050
Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread: JEBINC’s installation tips and review of 1EV / EV Sportline CarPlay / Android Auto display kit IMG_0088
Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread: JEBINC’s installation tips and review of 1EV / EV Sportline CarPlay / Android Auto display kit IMG_0092

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread: JEBINC’s installation tips and review of 1EV / EV Sportline CarPlay / Android Auto display kit IMG_0066
Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread: JEBINC’s installation tips and review of 1EV / EV Sportline CarPlay / Android Auto display kit IMG_0062.PNG
Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread: JEBINC’s installation tips and review of 1EV / EV Sportline CarPlay / Android Auto display kit IMG_0089

Part II – Coming soon….

Questions are welcomed; tag @EV Sportline as well

Disclaimer: I am not an @EV Sportline employee; I paid for my display – it was not given to me FoC. I did get shipped a “pre-release” kit for this review, so I was first to get one.
Sponsored

Last edited:

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, R2 res, Tesla S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Upgrading Electric Vehicles
Clubs

The time has come!

IMG_0094.jpeg

After some thought, I decided to break this up into two installments - so you are not waiting a week for information! This first installment will cover “initial thoughts” about the kit and installation tips. The second will focus on the kit’s performance and useability. Since I need to get familiar with everything, “Part II” will likely be a few days, to a week, in the making.

Key Highlights:
  • @EV Sportline put everything into this kit that you will need. The packaging is 1EV / EV Sportline branded and looks very professional (see attached picture).
  • PSA: Do watch all the videos and read the instructions first, as that will save you some time / answer questions you didn’t know you had until getting into it!
  • The aluminum mounting bracket is custom designed by @EV Sportline, and IS NOT some gargantuan generic suction cup contraption (see attached picture)
  • You get 1EV / EV Sportline support throughout its service life (they will still be in the phone directory); and do not have to deal with “fly by night” Chinese outfits and customer support challenges…
  • The display is quite responsive to input. Many customizable features and options for many different things – and hence why I need to learn it all before providing the second installment (“Part II”) of this review.
  • I just had to try the BT Audio ASAP, coming from the typical “FM” broadcast “connectivity to the vehicle” mode that most of those cheap Amazon/Chinese products rely on. And it sounds great! Great news - Same as streaming audio from your phone to the Rivian. Night and day from my prior “FM” connection (old, cheap CarPlay unit I purchased last spring). Very happy with this!!!
  • I have a R1T that has the front 12v plug (few do; only the first 12,000 R1T serial numbers, if I recall correctly). Obviously, this is the easiest and quickest approach to power your new display, however, since most owners do not have this option, the @EV Sportline kit comes with the fuse panel hardware needed. Given this, I chose to follow the @EV Sportline instructions and videos – to see and report what it will be like for most of you! Do watch all the videos and read the instructions first, as that will same you some time and answer questions you didn’t know you had until getting into it!
  • Re #6, the installation took a bit of time as I was taking pictures and documenting all of the tips, etc. It was also cold, dark and cramped in my garage as I worked. The weather is just bad, so that was the bed path on installation day.
  • A member asked how easy it would be to add and remove. The simple answer is, “very easy/quick” is you are using the 12v dash plug to power your display. If so, all you would need to do is lift up the dash mat with either your plastic trim tools or screw drivers and pull the unit out. Then press the pad back in place. The sun will melt it back into factory status, being a skinned foam core part. If you wire it to the fuse box, removing all of that would take about as long as it took you to put it all in.
  • Visibility through the windshield is unimpeded! You still see dash mat and dash grill as you look over the display!

• "Initial thoughts" - So far, this is looking like a winner!!! - I plan to run maps on this display and the gauge screen on the main Rivian UI!

Installation Tips:

The mounting screws are tiny, and two can be challenging to get started. Also, by design, there is a little play in the bracket before all screws are tightened to ensure all screws can be “started”.

Best procedure is to first “drop in” the two toughest “lower” screws through the bracket (see picture) and then insert the provided screw driver to “hold down” the first screw to loosely attach to the display (see attached picture). Next, screw this screw loosely into the first display threaded hole. Repeat this for the second lower screw. Then, loosely insert the two upper screws.

Next, we need to property align the loose bracket to the display, before tightening all four screws. Do this by pushing the bracket down as shown in the picture, then tighten all four screws. Bracket is now properly aligned to display (see attached picture). Note: The threaded inserts are “interference threads to ensure things don’t come loose (vs. using Loctite). The screwdriver provided works fine, but if you have a better, real fine tip Philips-head screwdriver that would be better.

EV Sportline’s directions, narrative and videos (on product page / web site) are clear about how to best accomplish this step. I will add that things are more pliable if the dash mat is warmer, not 40 degrees in a cold damp garage. If the sun is out during your install, let the dash “catch some rays”. Definitely not required, which is why I list this as a “tip”. For me, it was cold and damp (and being anal), I used a hair dryer to warm things up (not necessary). I then used my set of plastic interior trim removal tools to make easy work of this (see attached picture). Note: The mat is attached to the main dash via those sturdy white plastic push pins. So, if you hear a pop and the mat pops up a little, all the easier. Simply push down on the mat when you’re finished.

I used USB-C cable mount pads behind the main UI display to neatly hold the cable in place. EV Sportline will add these to production kits for you (smile).

Routing and securing are a “personal thing”. Since I had left over Gorilla seal tape, from my @EV Sportline running board installation (see link below), I used that for securing wires, and some double-sided tape to secure the “charging box” to the backside of the plastic fuse panel removed to gain access to the fuse panel.
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...x-running-boards-sliders-from-team-1ev.11589/

Photo Gallery

IMG_0034.jpeg
IMG_0035.jpeg
IMG_0036.jpeg

IMG_0037.jpeg

IMG_0050.jpeg
IMG_0088.jpeg
IMG_0092.jpeg

IMG_0066.jpeg
IMG_0062.PNG
IMG_0089.jpeg

Part II – Coming soon….

Disclaimer: I am not an @EV Sportline employee; I paid for my display – it was not given to me FoC. I did get shipped a “pre-release” kit for this review.
Great work @jebinc! Always putting effort in to help the Rivian Community!

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Great write up @jebinc!.. thank you.

I also have the lighter socket in my Dec 2022 build R1T and plan on using that to power the screen.

Question: do you or @EV Sportline know how many watts the unit draws? I was considering the adapter below which by most user accounts can provide 32watts to the USB-C port. What do you think?

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Cigarette-Lighter-MRGLAS-Compatible/dp/B0BLYX8SHZ/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=lk5T5&content-id=amzn1.sym.35cab78c-35e3-4fc1-aab0-27eaa6c86063:amzn1.symc.e5c80209-769f-4ade-a325-2eaec14b8e0e&pf_rd_p=35cab78c-35e3-4fc1-aab0-27eaa6c86063&pf_rd_r=E04JPDX8DJ2NRWGD0ARF&pd_rd_wg=qOMN7&pd_rd_r=42fcc07e-2144-4b2e-8e0b-927af14b9d13&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m&th=1
I will defer to @EV Sportline

32W should be more than enough.... 😜

Volts=I*R and Power (W)-V*A.

Given the harness power rating of 5v @ 2.5A, max power out of the charger is only 12.5 watts...

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread: JEBINC’s installation tips and review of 1EV / EV Sportline CarPlay / Android Auto display kit 1702594161213
😉

Sponsored

Inhisname

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
RSM
The time has come!

IMG_0094.jpeg

Key Highlights:
  • The aluminum mounting bracket is custom designed by @EV Sportline, and IS NOT some gargantuan generic suction cup contraption (see attached picture)
  • Re #6, the installation took a bit of time as I was taking pictures and documenting all of the tips, etc. It was also cold, dark and cramped in my garage as I worked. The weather is just bad, so that was the bed path on installation day.

Installation Tips:

Photo Gallery

IMG_0034.jpeg
IMG_0035.jpeg
IMG_0036.jpeg
screw.jpeg

IMG_0037.jpeg

IMG_0050.jpeg
IMG_0088.jpeg
IMG_0092.jpeg

IMG_0066.jpeg
IMG_0062.PNG
IMG_0089.jpeg

Part II – Coming soon….

Disclaimer: I am not an @EV Sportline employee; I paid for my display – it was not given to me FoC. I did get shipped a “pre-release” kit for this review, so I was first to get one.
Thank you for doing this! I sincerely appreciate it. Hopefully mine will be arriving soon as I ordered it the first hour after they posted it being available.!

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Thank you for doing this! I sincerely appreciate it. Hopefully mine will be arriving soon as I ordered it the first hour after they posted it being available.!
No worries. Hope the tips help! Your should arrive soon, given how early you ordered it!

Last edited:

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Awesome! I’m stoked to get mine. Thanks @jebinc for the detailed write-up. One thing I didn’t see is how the bracket attaches to the dash and how easily it can be removed. I guess I need to go watch the installation video now. 😊

@EV Sportline

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Awesome! I’m stoked to get mine. Thanks @jebinc for the detailed write-up. One thing I didn’t see is how the bracket attaches to the dash and how easily it can be removed. I guess I need to go watch the installation video now. 😊

@EV Sportline
Yes, I didn’t want to duplicate what @EV Sportline has prepared already. That’s why I created the “tips” section - to supplement the @EV Sportline material! 😉

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

Nice write up. Watched @evsportline setup video as well. Interest in reviews of the unit.

Only thing that looks clunky (but no way around it for now) is the youtube/airplay. But better to have the ability than not right now.

Might need to think about getting. Could route to the fuse panel, but lucky enough to have the 12v in the cabin.

https://www.amazon.com/Nextbase-Pow...0&psc=1&mcid=63269fd8f9e83107ad2e3794690acd80
Sponsored