Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
hadn't noticed? how can you not notice that?
Actually not that noticable with the door closed, pretty dark there. The photo with my phone has the flash on and much easier to see. It is much more noticeable with the door open.
Sponsored

OP
OP

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired physician
wAoOy8g.jpg

There is damage to the handle itself, isn't the handle made of metal? Seems like a pretty serious impact on the handle then.
That is a great observation...a tiny ding on the metal below the peeling area. This makes me wonder that whatever was wrong with the door handle that required repair prior to me taking delivery... MAYBE that caused a problem and that also caused the peeling.

This very thin layer peeling off only 6 months since delivered makes me think there will be many others reporting problems soon.

Sattman69

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜19 4Runner Limited, toytec lift & power brakes
Occupation
Consult/Project Manager
Almost looks like something insect repellant could cause or affect. Iā€™ve had the deet stuff take paint off my glasses and watch bands. Iā€™m on board itā€™s a Rivian issue butā€¦always a fan of tracing steps.

During the heart of COVID I was using hand sanitizer every time Iā€™d get into my 4Runner and the plastic/vinyl on my steering wheel started to peel. Toyota saidā€¦thatā€™s a bummer but not a warranty item.
Good Luck OP!

Reactions: Rad

shumdit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 and countingā€¦.
Clubs

This is a coating peeling that is used because it gives the hard plastics a soft touch. Ask any Ferrari owner from the 90ā€˜s-2000ā€™s about sticky plastics. something reacted with it likely a lotion on skin based on the OPā€™s description.

Sponsored

Rivi

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S DEFENDER
I never believed in sunscreens. Wasted money for something what actually harms you.Those chemicals are even worse for your skin but the body -versus Rivian door panel-heels itself.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

During the heart of COVID I was using hand sanitizer every time Iā€™d get into my 4Runner
Umm it's an airborne/aerosol transmitted disease. Save that alcohol for my G&T's please.

I never believed in sunscreens. Wasted money for something what actually harms you.Those chemicals are even worse for your skin but the body -versus Rivian door panel-heels itself.
Amen, brother. Zinc and titanium never done me no good on the outside. Gotta keep those metals on the inside šŸ¤–

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I checked mine and at 11k no signs of this anywhere in cabin. Also checked and I do believe I hit my knee at least now and then in that same area. But no wear in mine.

I wonder if, seeing that damage to the handle, if it is possible this was refinished prior to delivery by a substandard method?

OP
OP

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired physician
There WAS some sort of repair of door handles done at the service center...the reason my delivery was delayed by over a week. They had to wait on parts and effect a repair. I do not know if this was the exterior door handle, interior door handle, or which doors were affected. They did not reveal any of this detailed information to me. Truthfully, on delivery, I did not carefully inspect the entire interior, and it would have been very easy to miss any tears or defects in this very thin surface covering in this area. Because the color of the coating and the plastic beneath are so close, it would have been easy to miss.

I only use spray on sunscreen, mostly Coppertone Sport, and never apply it until I am out of the cabin getting golf clubs out of truck bed, so any contact of my leg with the door area occurs about 4 hours after the sunscreen has been applied. In addition, there is no evidence of any similar problems similar on my Chevy Bolt or RAV4. Sunscreen did discolor a small portion of the seat in my Bolt very slightly, but that is it.

I am beginning to believe the most likely hypothesis is an initial damaged area, caused by repair technicians at the service center, not detected on delivery, and the rubbing of my leg on this same area while driving, sometimes with shorts and sunscreen on my legs, sometimes not, and this area just disintegrated.

I am awaiting some sort of response from Rivian.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Sponsored

OP
OP

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired physician
Rivian service is scheduling a mobile visit for the first week in December to evaluate and order repair parts. No mention of whether this will be a warranty-covered repair or not but think he would have mentioned if NOT. Will update the group once more is known!

cjbot3000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Clubs

To chime in and echo sentiments - deet-based insect repellent will do this 100% of the time. It will dissolve any plastic/based material, including vinyl camping equipment, camera grips, synthetic clothing, etc.

Happened to my 1991 bmw, and is common on German interiors with similar finishes. I speak from experience.

I've also had this happen in my 2013 VW from an air freshener.

Similarly, the oils in those tree-style air fresheners have dissolved the same finishes in my friends vw, including radio buttons.

OP
OP

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired physician
Rivian service called back to schedule a mobile evaluation on December 6th and said they would make a warranty determination at that time.

Rivi

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S DEFENDER
Prolonged rubbing combined with chemicals in the lotion, against a vegan leather (re: vinyl) surface. I think you nailed it.

Still I wouldnā€™t have expected that. I haven't seen it on any other plastics or leather finishes. Keep us updated.
Is "vegan leather" a nicer name for plastic?