Sponsored

Front License Plate Mount that looks good and high quality?

EV-by-the-Sea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Dual Motor Performance
For those that have or will use the Rivian provided front mount. Here is what this mount looks like. It's not very visible from the camera view. Hopefully Texas will pass the no front plate law soon, but until then ... Got this from Amazon. I bought the second link that is a silicone one for the rear. I like it and might try adding it to the front, but it will make a larger image that the camera might catch.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B9XY1FBR?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CV5PLFM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

"You a big William Hung fan?"

20230720_153056_HDR.jpg
Hmm, I think this might be what I'm looking for. We took delivery of our R1S and because it was for my wife, she insisted on having the front plate mount installed (nevermind I've been running my cars without them for a decade and no problems...but that's another discussion). Surprise, surprise, she hates how it blocks the front camera view.

@redantpile - I was looking at the OEM front plate mount and it looks like it's riveted on. How did you remove it? Drilling the rivets with a larger bit? And how did you attach this new bracket? With the included self-tapping screws? Thanks!
Sponsored

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

I went with "Invisi-plate" - it's amazing honestly, almost like the plate isn't there at all. I don't know how they do it but you can't see anything from the front, but you open the frunk and boom! there's a license plate in there! Crazy! Must be mirrors or something, I dunno, but it was super easy to mount, took literally no time at all. Highly recommend, 5-stars, would install again on my next vehicle too.

Gman

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Toyota Landcruiser, Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Open Ocean Swimmer
I have both- Snapplate and Brainexploder - Snapplate does impact front camera

redantpile

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 EDGE, 2023 R1S red adventure 20"
Occupation
Retired telephone engineer
Clubs

Hmm, I think this might be what I'm looking for. We took delivery of our R1S and because it was for my wife, she insisted on having the front plate mount installed (nevermind I've been running my cars without them for a decade and no problems...but that's another discussion). Surprise, surprise, she hates how it blocks the front camera view.

@redantpile - I was looking at the OEM front plate mount and it looks like it's riveted on. How did you remove it? Drilling the rivets with a larger bit? And how did you attach this new bracket? With the included self-tapping screws? Thanks!

Mine was delivered without the front plate mounted. So I drilled the holes. I re-used the same holes for the aftermarket plate. I used some stainless sheet metal screws. Not sure about a factory mounted version.

Last edited:

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I went with "Invisi-plate" - it's amazing honestly, almost like the plate isn't there at all. I don't know how they do it but you can't see anything from the front, but you open the frunk and boom! there's a license plate in there! Crazy! Must be mirrors or something, I dunno, but it was super easy to mount, took literally no time at all. Highly recommend, 5-stars, would install again on my next vehicle too.
I was running this set up too until I got pulled over for no front plate... finally put the snap plate on.

Sponsored

EV-by-the-Sea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Dual Motor Performance

Just to update my own post query --

I did pull the factory plate mount off the front bumper. As others have related, it is riveted on. I was able to drill one of the rivets out -- the other I had to use some pliers to destroy/wrestle it out as the "pin" in the rivet was pulled back through the head, so no easy way to drill it.

Another unpleasant surprise was that they apparently mounted the plate mount uncentered -- thankfully the aftermarket bracket linked above had enough flexibility in the mounting spaces that I could drive the new screws in through the rivet holes AND center the new plate mount.

The new one is much slimmer (as redant's photo demonstrates) and doesn't obscure the front camera nearly as much.

Anyway, it's a solid and affordable option for those who want to replace the factory front plate mount and get some front camera visibility back.

EveryAmp

Site Sponsor
First Name
EveryAmp
Threads
Reaction score
Website
everyamp.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3, & Model Y
Hopefully this graphic helps with the front camera questions of Factory OEM vs Gen2 Height Adjustable SnapPlate.

There's no avoiding the front camera view, with it showing the bumper, but the visibility can be adjusted to preference. If you're wheeling and want a completely unobstructed view it's simple to remove SnapPlate and throw it in the frunk for later / when needed.

None of the height positions have an impact with sensors either.

Rivian R1T R1S Front License Plate Mount that looks good and high quality? 6

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I like to add random challenges to introduce some excitement to an otherwise mundane life. I'm going to drive without the front plate (egad!).

YellowR1T

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired Air Force
Clubs

Used the Brain Exploder Tow hook attach. Lasted a few times then the plastic attch broke off the hook, despite removing the plate before entering the nontouchless car wash.

yourgrace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Sonata Hybrid

Can you share your OEM installed plate and the camera view? Deciding if I should get the plate drilled or not
Sponsored