Sponsored

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

EDIT: Added photos now with the Abstract Ocean blackout lightbar with "RIVIAN" on it. Definitely looks better than just the lower portion being blacked out. Not sure I love the overall look yet, but it's better. Maybe now 50/50 on if I keep it. These should at least, remove any "mustache" talk!!

ORIGINAL POST......
I love the look of the truck. But as with many, the front end is something than many "love it or hate it". I'm personally not a fan. Don't hate it, but sure as heck don't love it.

Over the past year and a half, probably before too, I've tried many different renderings using photoshop to see if I could do something with the front end to make it look better. Hated every version I came up with and gave up for a while.

Then JeffSTX posted a question for ideals at: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/mods-for-less-cartoonish-front-end.22571/

Got me to try again. This time, came up with one that didn't look horrible. Ordered some vinyl for $30 and decided to give it a try. I generally suck at applying vinyl, especially if there are any curves or creases, but actually turned out to be pretty easy to do. Only took about an hour, start to finish. Used a lot of soapy solution and a blow drier. While I generally also suck at photoshop, the renderings actually nearly match real life perfectly.

I can say, I don't absolutely LOVE it. Don't hate it either. I'm probably about 40/60 on whether I keep it on or not. Will give it some time to see if it grows on me?

Will be interested to hear everyone's thoughts? For now, just did the lower portion as that is what I envision is more "factory like". Will add the Abstract Ocean "RIVIAN" black vinyl to the light bar tomorrow. That gets more into a "custom" look, but maybe it will look better? If the renderings are any indication, it will look pretty much the same. Good thing is, was a cheap option to try and very easy to remove if it doesn't grow on me!

FIrst two photos are the photoshop renderings, then the real life photos taken today.

Rivian R1T R1S UPDATE: Blackout lightbar decal added + applied vinyl to break up the controversial front end on my Rivian 1704608142978

Rivian R1T R1S UPDATE: Blackout lightbar decal added + applied vinyl to break up the controversial front end on my Rivian 1704608149636

Rivian R1T R1S UPDATE: Blackout lightbar decal added + applied vinyl to break up the controversial front end on my Rivian 1704608175562

Rivian R1T R1S UPDATE: Blackout lightbar decal added + applied vinyl to break up the controversial front end on my Rivian 1704608191073

Rivian R1T R1S UPDATE: Blackout lightbar decal added + applied vinyl to break up the controversial front end on my Rivian 1704608203115

Rivian R1T R1S UPDATE: Blackout lightbar decal added + applied vinyl to break up the controversial front end on my Rivian 1704608219073

Rivian R1T R1S UPDATE: Blackout lightbar decal added + applied vinyl to break up the controversial front end on my Rivian 1704652879386

Rivian R1T R1S UPDATE: Blackout lightbar decal added + applied vinyl to break up the controversial front end on my Rivian 1704653191671

Rivian R1T R1S UPDATE: Blackout lightbar decal added + applied vinyl to break up the controversial front end on my Rivian 1704652943629

Rivian R1T R1S UPDATE: Blackout lightbar decal added + applied vinyl to break up the controversial front end on my Rivian 1704652990797

Rivian R1T R1S UPDATE: Blackout lightbar decal added + applied vinyl to break up the controversial front end on my Rivian 1704653160192
Sponsored

Last edited:

kewlasu

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LA Silver Adventure Large Pack 21"
Clubs

IDK... for me, the front is what makes Rivian unique from all the current front end designs out there. My first impression the first time I saw it is that same look on my face 😃🤣😂

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I prefer the original Rivian designed front end not these Jerry rigged changes. To each their own.

Biturbowned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Model Y, ‘22 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Hope you like it

Sponsored

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
I didn’t like it at first, but then I kind of did. I wouldn’t do it to mine, but I’m the same as you - I wanna do something, but I just can’t find an option that I really love.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

Just my personal opinion, but I think one of the biggest reasons the aesthetics of these vehicles trip people out is that they're USED TO a specific look. In this case, we have a vehicle that doesn't need a giant grille to mask radiators behind it, so that area is simply 'closed off.' Even competitors tend to contour or add features that sort of 'mimic' the idea of a grille.

In Rivian's case, they just closed it up and didn't create a boundary, and I for one prefer it that way. But what I see here is someone attempting to re-create an older aesthetic. If you dig it, do you, but to me, our Rivian's are pretty snazzy looking vehicles.

That said, it doesn't look bad *with* that update either, for sure. Doesn't need it, but definitely isn't hurting because of it 🙃 AND, for what it's worth, I do prefer some personalization--make it yours!

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Ah the fake grill trend - I also did this on my MachE, feel it looked much better there though.
Rivian R1T R1S UPDATE: Blackout lightbar decal added + applied vinyl to break up the controversial front end on my Rivian IMG_9364

Not a huge fan here on the R1S - but as I always say about vinyl it comes off almost as easy as it goes on!!! So great to customize with some thing so simple and colorful.

Jimflip

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
I think you did a great job on the vinyl, well done!

Also, each to their own on "taste" - it is your truck, and if you like it, that's really all that counts.

Again, well done on the wrap, I look forward to seeing the photos when you've added the lightbar vinyl.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I think you did a great job on the vinyl, well done!

Also, each to their own on "taste" - it is your truck, and if you like it, that's really all that counts.

Again, well done on the wrap, I look forward to seeing the photos when you've added the lightbar vinyl.
Just added the light bar photos

Rivian R1T R1S UPDATE: Blackout lightbar decal added + applied vinyl to break up the controversial front end on my Rivian 1704652879386-

Rivian R1T R1S UPDATE: Blackout lightbar decal added + applied vinyl to break up the controversial front end on my Rivian 1704653191671-

Rivian R1T R1S UPDATE: Blackout lightbar decal added + applied vinyl to break up the controversial front end on my Rivian 1704652943629-

Rivian R1T R1S UPDATE: Blackout lightbar decal added + applied vinyl to break up the controversial front end on my Rivian 1704652990797-

Rivian R1T R1S UPDATE: Blackout lightbar decal added + applied vinyl to break up the controversial front end on my Rivian 1704653160192-

SPITmadFIRE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S DPM Max Pack 20" AT
I'm a big fan of minimal badging on my vehicles, but I think your implementation looks pretty clean overall. Nice work!

maddave12

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Volvo XC90, Subaru Outback
Occupation
Selfless supporter of the economy
Clubs

I like it, as well :rock:
Sponsored