Sponsored

Bug Tare-Away Shield for R1 Front End Needed

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Ok accessory people, there is nothing like it out there today.

When I used to race open wheel (FF) years ago, I used to put tare-away layer on my helmet shield to clear my vision (usually oil and other fluids from the cars in front). I'm sure you know what I am talking about.

This weekend, I drove from SoCal to NoCal and back on I-5 and must have killed gazillion bugs between my windshield and the front of my R1S. Once I was at my destination, I had to do a quick front-end wash to get rid of almost completely bug covered front end. And had to do it agin when I got home.

I occurred to me that it would be great if there was a 2-sheet tare-away protector that fits along (and including) the light bar down to the grill that sticks to vehicle (e.g., food plastic wra/Saran Wrap) that I can simply remove at the destination and have bugs-free. Needs to include the headlights too as they were essentially black covered with bugs. Then the other layer, once I get home.

If someone doesn't come up with such a easy precut thing, I will try using the Saran Wrap...
Sponsored

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
Did you get all the bugs when you drove through Orchards? On our way back from Monterey or maybe Tahoe (can't remember) a few years back, we killed about 1 million bees. Every Orchard in that area had bee houses lined up along the roadway to pollenate the fruit trees.

Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Appreciate that. The whole point was not have to wash or wipe it away at the destination. At home, there's time to clean it properly.

It needs to be fast and easy. without any stuff to carry around with you.
The point of this product is that it's water soluble, so a simple rinse washes off the product and the bugs that got stuck to the product. It is really pretty trivial to wash off, unlike washing off the bugs without the product where even a good scrubbing doesn't get them all.

It lasts for a week when sprayed on, and is almost invisible, so what I do is to apply it before I leave then rinse it off when I get home.

I'm sure there are other things that work too, but this worked for me and was pretty convenient and cheap.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Something like this? I saw it recommended by owners of exotics that sometimes put them on a track or take a long trip.

I've not used it, but reading the "reviews" lead me to believe that if properly applied and perhaps more importantly, properly removed (sun warmed), this film *might* work for a trip to Love Bug territory (FL).

JamboF4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma /. 335i Coupe
Occupation
Retired airline Captain
Ok accessory people, there is nothing like it out there today.

When I used to race open wheel (FF) years ago, I used to put tare-away layer on my helmet shield to clear my vision (usually oil and other fluids from the cars in front). I'm sure you know what I am talking about.

This weekend, I drove from SoCal to NoCal and back on I-5 and must have killed gazillion bugs between my windshield and the front of my R1S. Once I was at my destination, I had to do a quick front-end wash to get rid of almost completely bug covered front end. And had to do it agin when I got home.

I occurred to me that it would be great if there was a 2-sheet tare-away protector that fits along (and including) the light bar down to the grill that sticks to vehicle (e.g., food plastic wra/Saran Wrap) that I can simply remove at the destination and have bugs-free. Needs to include the headlights too as they were essentially black covered with bugs. Then the other layer, once I get home.

If someone doesn't come up with such a easy precut thing, I will try using the Saran Wrap...
I have wondered this for YEARS MKG3…generic, windshield-sized (perhaps 10-15 choices) for tear-off…long trips. I’d buy!
Sponsored