Sponsored

Adhesive front license plate

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

For CA you there is only one company available and even that is a pilot program. The etsy one you referenced is for applying over a license plate for show vehicles.

Directly from that etsy site:
DISCLAIMER:
THIS ITEM IS ONLY FOR SHOW OR OFF ROAD USE ONLY
I understand that one has been approved by the DMV and the other has not. But is that the only difference? I suspect that it is. And if so, how will the police know the difference?
Sponsored

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
I understand that one has been approved by the DMV and the other has not. But is that the only difference? I suspect that it is. And if so, how will the police know the difference?
Give it a go. They don't look quite the same to me judging by customers posts.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I did a European delivery a few years ago and kept the plate on the back. It was a German plate. No front plate. Paid $40 to DMV for a vanity plate. No issues.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Colorado requires a front plate, though plenty of people run without them. At work I like to back into a spot, but they scan license plates for permitting, so I've had warnings when I don't have a plate on the front. I didn't like the idea of drilling my bumper for the included mount, and wasn't super thrilled with the SnapPlate solution. Fortunately there are companies that will print a license plate replica on reflective vinyl. I went with https://adhesivereplica.com/ since they have Colorado, and I ordered the 11x5.5" version. I did the black "frame" without "screws". It arrived today and went on easily. We'll have to see how it does with the license plate reader at work, but I'm hopeful (not always a great strategy).
2022-07-06 Front License Plate.jpg
Thanks for this post btw. Just ordered my front "plate"

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

I ordered a cheap one of these from one of the many sellers on Amazon or Etsy (I forget which one). I ordered the black plate with yellow writing option for Calif. When I got it, I was disappointed to find that it was just a piece of cheap black adhesive vinyl, not even cut straight or to the correct size, a separate yellow “California” die cut decal, and another separate yellow die cut decal with my license plate number. Nowhere in the ad did it say that it would come this way. I should’ve known that you get what you pay for.
Rivian R1T R1S Adhesive front license plate IMG_0245

So I got my money back for the cheap one and ordered the expensive, official one. It is MUCH nicer! A good quality piece that should do the job well.
Rivian R1T R1S Adhesive front license plate IMG_0244

Tac V

First Name
Tac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Real Estate
FYI, I just received my adhesive license plate wrap and the instructions is not stick it dead center on the front bumper. The license plate wrap has metal particles in it which will interfere with the truck's sensor. $120 wasted as I will not install this off center.

Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

FYI, I just received my adhesive license plate wrap and the instructions is not stick it dead center on the front bumper. The license plate wrap has metal particles in it which will interfere with the truck's sensor. $120 wasted as I will not install this off center.
Wouldn't a little bit of metal particles be less that the plate? The plate is aluminum but it has the same reflective that probably has metal particles in it?

Tac V

First Name
Tac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Real Estate
I would say yes but when I get home I scan the instructions and upload for everyone to see. I have it on my Tesla Model Y and love it. Too bad I can't use it for my R1T.
Sponsored