First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I suspect they were worried it would cannibalize the sales of the remaining units and always intended on producing one. The original Ultium presentation basically confirmed a city car would be coming at some point in the future, with pack sizes down to 50kWh.
If that was their reasoning it's faulty. Until their Ultium platform is on the market ready to take those sales there's no reason to stop making the car they do have. A car that was selling really well.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

If that was their reasoning it's faulty. Until their Ultium platform is on the market ready to take those sales there's no reason to stop making the car they do have. A car that was selling really well.
They probably didn't know how the battery fire fiasco was going to turn out. Ford didn't continue using the Pinto name. GM might have been considering distancing themselves from the Bolt design language, which would have been considerably different than what it sounds like what they are doing.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
They probably didn't know how the battery fire fiasco was going to turn out. Ford didn't continue using the Pinto name. GM might have been considering distancing themselves from the Bolt design language, which would have been considerably different than what it sounds like what they are doing.
Fair points.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
GM had a great system in the Bolt.. they had all their UI stuff on the main screen, if you wanted to use AA/CP you plugged your phone in to a vehicle USB port and pressed a button under the display at which point main screen changed to a full AA/CP interactive screen. Needed to go back to the Bolt UI screen?... tap the button below the display it toggled back to the Bolt UI screen and AA/CP continued to work in the background. When you were done and wanted AA/CP again.. tap that same button under the main display and it changed the screen back to AA/CP again. Google voice recognition was really great too, especially for news and podcasts on long drives.

Everyone was happy and GM didn't have to spend one dime on a Nav system or voice recognition for the Bolt as AA/CP took care of all that. It was a simple, elegant, super low cost solution that just worked.

Last edited:

Ohm Boy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Renewable Energy
Clubs

Hey Siri, tell everyone they can say “Hey Siri”.

Sponsored

k9ltd3

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Operations Manager
I use my iphone for Waze in my Rivian. The Rivian Map system sucks! The only thing I use it for is to put the charger location I will stop at so I can have it precondition the battery 15 miles before I get there. I found in researching that you can't use Alexa with Apple to send a text message, that it can only be done with an android device. Has that changed?
To send a text message I simply hold the side button on my phone for a second to get Siri to come up and you can then speak to it and dictate a message through the audio system via bluetooth.

SunDevil2213

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Construction Cost Consultant
IF waze could integrate with the vehicle state of charge / load charging stations sure but it doesn't (correct me if I'm wrong) I use waze and maybe I never looked into changing it to EV or something.
As a map editor for Waze, the rollout of making Waze more of a go-to for EV charging needs is well underway. We are currently working a project to import all public ev charging stations into the Waze map. The devs know of the importance of this, and it is a priority for Waze.

AYAYRON

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
As a map editor for Waze, the rollout of making Waze more of a go-to for EV charging needs is well underway. We are currently working a project to import all public ev charging stations into the Waze map. The devs know of the importance of this, and it is a priority for Waze.
IF waze also was kept up to date like plugshare that would kind of be necessary, but lastly, how will waze import real time data from the truck / state of charge and such?

SunDevil2213

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Construction Cost Consultant
IF waze also was kept up to date like plugshare that would kind of be necessary, but lastly, how will waze import real time data from the truck / state of charge and such?
I can’t speak to integrations with vehicles although I’ve brought up to the Waze developers that they should reach out to Rivian for a potential partnership. No guarantees that did (or will) go anywhere. However, the importing of the charging locations as destination points is tied to a feed provider - meaning they have the ability to adjust for number of chargers, kW, maintenance, usage, etc… in real time. There’s a lot of steps to the rollout but it is in the works.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
This is what the GM interface looks like. Native Google Maps for nav and Spotify and you can see an icon for Waze. This would make me happy enough to ditch CarPlay.

https://videopress.com/v/sFzaQbej
My Hummer can download Waze directly, as well as many other apps, like Plugshare. But it also supports CP as well, maybe one of the last GMs to do so.

Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Apple maps can access the battery and efficiency data, my Mach E has that feature. But the auto manufacturer has to enable it on their side. It can then do trip planning and charging stops.

Inhisname

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
RSM
To send a text message I simply hold the side button on my phone for a second to get Siri to come up and you can then speak to it and dictate a message through the audio system via bluetooth.
understood, but my phone is on the upper left side of my dash, near the drivers side window and cross bar as it's attached magnetically with Waze on the screen. So for me that does not work. But I appreciate the suggestion. This would all end if we had a nav system that actually gave the most accurate directions. I now keep my screen on the page with all of the data information like, temp, tire pressure......

WorldComposting

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.worldcomposting.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Subaru Ascent
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Hey Siri, tell everyone they can say “Hey Siri”.
Siri "I don't understand would you like a picture of a horse" :D

Ohm Boy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Renewable Energy
Clubs

Siri "I don't understand would you like a picture of a horse" :D
World, point VERY WELL taken!! And your reply is a total classic!! 🙂

“Hey Siri, disregard what I said about Hey Siri-ing, and instead get RJ to add CarPlay”!!

…a week later a horse shows up in Irvine…

Obioban

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
e46 M3, e39 M5, e46 M3 converted wagon, i3, e60 M5
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Meanwhile, Porsche and Aston Martin are the first companies to implement carplay 2:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a46188510/apple-carplay-next-gen-interface/https://www.macrumors.com/2023/12/20/first-next-generation-carplay-vehicles-announced/
Rivian R1T R1S For all the people wanting CarPlay... GM is dropping it carplay-porsche-high-res-6583067c0e0d0

Apple is collaborating with automakers to bring brand-distinct design details to the CarPlay environment. The first brands to openly take advantage of this capability are Porsche and Aston Martin, with both high-end performance vehicle manufacturers previewing the bespoke CarPlay interface that'll feature in upcoming models.

This next-generation CarPlay builds upon previous versions by integrating into all of the displays of a given vehicle and not just the central infotainment screen. Though the familiar CarPlay experience remains, multiple template options and special details ensure the interface reflects the ethos of a given brand.

For instance, the preview of Porsche's CarPlay interface shows that it features a trio of circular gauges in the cluster and a background wallpaper that mimics the brand's distinct houndstooth (or Pepita in Porsche-speak) seat pattern.

Rivian R1T R1S For all the people wanting CarPlay... GM is dropping it aston-martin-apple-carplay-658306edbfaf2

Aston Martin, on the other hand, goes a slightly different route. Its cluster includes a central information screen bookended by a circular speedometer and tachometer, the latter of which integrates "Handbuilt in Great Britain" wraparound text.

Although Apple's next-generation CarPlay requires an iPhone to share app-related information, the system relies on its host vehicle to provide driving-specific data. Apple's keen to note that connected iPhones neither store nor track this vehicle-sourced information.

This connection to the vehicle also means this new generation of CarPlay can cohesively display information from the vehicle's native infotainment system (think tire-pressure information and the like), as well.

While Porsche gave no timing specifics regarding the launch of this latest CarPlay in its models, Aston Martin shared that Apple's next-gen setup is compatible with its latest infotainment system that launches in 2024 in vehicles such as the DB12 coupe and DB12 convertible (or as Aston calls it, Volante).

Given Porsche's relation to the Volkswagen Group and Aston's to Lucid and Mercedes, we wager it's only a matter of time until those companies integrate this tech into other vehicles within their respective portfolios.
Sponsored