Sponsored

For all the people wanting CarPlay... GM is dropping it

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
FWIW, Polestar just added Carplay via OTA update.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

ovation919

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Durango, 2019 Acura TLX aSpec
Occupation
Amateur musician now. Retired
Clubs

There is a company that listens to its community. Their car just became a safer vehicle. Rivian should take note.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
Never had CarPlay in any vehicle, so I probably don’t miss it as much as those who are used to it. However, as I spend more time in my R1T, I am starting to realize that CarPlay would be a darn nice addition, offering much needed functionality and even safety. I know Rivian has their reasons for not offering CarPlay, but, at the same time, it would be a huge bonus for their consumers. Heck, at the very least, I’d be happy to just have Apple Music. I know sound quality suffers using Bluetooth from my iPhone.

And, NO. I have no interest in using Alexa, ever, or any additional music subscription services.

Cypress

First Name
Cypress
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Pacifica PHEV, Reserved R2
Occupation
Associate Technical Fellow in Model Based Definition and PLM

Sponsored

Cypress

First Name
Cypress
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Pacifica PHEV, Reserved R2
Occupation
Associate Technical Fellow in Model Based Definition and PLM
Never had CarPlay in any vehicle, so I probably don’t miss it as much as those who are used to it. However, as I spend more time in my R1T, I am starting to realize that CarPlay would be a darn nice addition, offering much needed functionality and even safety. I know Rivian has their reasons for not offering CarPlay, but, at the same time, it would be a huge bonus for their consumers. Heck, at the very least, I’d be happy to just have Apple Music. I know sound quality suffers using Bluetooth from my iPhone.

And, NO. I have no interest in using Alexa, ever, or any additional music subscription services.
So I’m new to Rivian, what are their excuse?

tobidogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S / Jaguar XE-S / Misc.
Occupation
Snowboards...
I know someone who worked on the Apple car project, CarPlay and the new headset. Genius level embedded systems person. Listening to his talk about what they have been up to is really interesting...but it seems they are missing one opportunity here: they need a CarPlay widget that plugs into infotainment systems like how Spotify does. CarPlay 2 wants more control...but it seems the wrong direction. But one thing car makers are missing is that people are carrying around incredible compute devices with them which contain substantial AI and GPU coprocessors - utilizing them seems like an obvious choice. Because CarPlay is sill a glorified KVM with a few APIs tacked on...but it could be way more useful.

That said I never use CarPlay in any of my cars...

Jimbydude

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2016 Honda Civic
I just want WAZE!!!
I was putting together a car play setup using an old ipad for wifes Tesla when i realozed that all she actully wants is to have Waze.

I wonder how often when people say carplay they just mean a single app they use a lot and can be done via ipad mini and mount+ hotspot

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I was putting together a car play setup using an old ipad for wifes Tesla when i realozed that all she actully wants is to have Waze.

I wonder how often when people say carplay they just mean a single app they use a lot and can be done via ipad mini and mount+ hotspot
This is exactly my thinking. Most people say they want android auto or CarPlay, they really want Google maps/navigation/traffic/Waze.

Second to that they might like a media app, but I actually think Rivian will add those with ease down the road.

All of this said, I did post earlier this week that it seems the Rivian map and traffic got better in the last couplen of weeks and others noted the same thing.

Sponsored

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
This is exactly my thinking. Most people say they want android auto or CarPlay, they really want Google maps/navigation/traffic/Waze.
Strongly disagree. People have already made their phones the hub of their digital lives. It is the center, and other tech devices (should, in this worldview) orbit around it. Anything that doesn't integrate well with that concept is an annoyance. I'm not saying CarPlay/AA is the ONLY way to accomplish this in an automotive setting, but it is certainly the path of least resistance.

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Strongly disagree. People have already made their phones the hub of their digital lives. It is the center, and other tech devices (should, in this worldview) orbit around it. Anything that doesn't integrate well with that concept is an annoyance. I'm not saying CarPlay/AA is the ONLY way to accomplish this in an automotive setting, but it is certainly the path of least resistance.
Well, I like integration and dual use too, but there are limits IMO. With the approach above, why not have the car completely rely on the computing power of the phone and essentially makes the vehicle a peripheral of the phone? Of course, it is because not everyone has a great phone, what if the person wants to take their phone and still have the vehicle work well, etc. The laptops a few years ago where you could snap your phone into the case and it was essentially the phone with the case and your laptop was basically the phone come to mind.

I think if Rivian had google maps/waze and the texting/phone capabilities we all expect 90% of the complaints would go away.

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
I think if Rivian had google maps/waze and the texting/phone capabilities we all expect 90% of the complaints would go away.
Well, now you're moving the goal posts. Sure, if the in car system did everything and was seamlessly integrated of course no one would want CarPlay....

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1S
I doubt it, CarPlay/AA future proofs the vehicle so we can have the next best thing without begging for it.

And there more than just phone and navigation apps that people want, I like to be able listen to local radio stations via their apps when out of the service area. And I want a real voice assistant to make everything hands-free.

CarPlay/AA support is not a zero sum game, Rivian can add CarPlay/AA support and you don’t lose anything.
Sponsored