Drive unit gear lash?

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I’ve always heard some creaking coming from the front end of my R1T. I thought it was the air suspension. Got a flat the other day and was putting on the spare when I noticed the sound and what felt like significant gear lash. Is this normal. Attached is the video of me spinning the front passenger wheel by hand while it’s jacked up

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Mine does same thing, but not sure what actually is making that noise.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I’m not a mechanic, but that doesnt sound good.

OP
OP

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I’m not sure if damage is happening to the gearbox. If this is normal it would save me two hours of driving round trip to the service center.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'll take a video of all the corners on mine when I swap wheels in a couple days, assuming they are doing this. I feel quite a bit of lash in the pedal when jumping between light regen and light acceleration.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I would jack up the rear end of the truck and see if those wheels make the same sound when rocking them back and forth.

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
Occupation
IT
That's normal. If you crawl under and hold the driveshaft at various places while someone rocks your wheel back and forth, you'll find the play is on the inside CV joint/slip coupling on your axles. Not your gearbox, the play doesn't make it all the way into the gearbox.

Someone posted a cutaway of the style axle our trucks use that have ball bearings in the slider portion of the axle. That would explain all of this movement/sound.

I had my front drive unit and axles replaced already for a loud knock/tock on decel/accel. This isn't that sound.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
Can you hear this 'lash' when hitting uneven road / etc? Or only when changing wheel directions or rocking the car via accelerator?

Deleted member 7086

My R1T was absolutely silent until 2,000 miles. Then it developed “gear lash.” Had it in the service center twice, same repair, lube the half shafts and splines, replace and tighten bolts. Will pick it up tomorrow. I would be surprised if the problem has been fixed but hope springs eternal.

Ngkgb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I have exact same noise and have since I licked up truck 1 mo ago. Taking to service center Saturday. I’ll lost with an update.

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I’ve always heard some creaking coming from the front end of my R1T. I thought it was the air suspension. Got a flat the other day and was putting on the spare when I noticed the sound and what felt like significant gear lash. Is this normal. Attached is the video of me spinning the front passenger wheel by hand while it’s jacked up

Within spec! Mine does same thing on driver's side....have a ticket in....they want a video...as if they've never heard of this problem before. The passenger side front shaft can make a small amount of noise, but driver's side is definitely looser.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
My R1T was absolutely silent until 2,000 miles. Then it developed “gear lash.” Had it in the service center twice, same repair, lube the half shafts and splines, replace and tighten bolts. Will pick it up tomorrow. I would be surprised if the problem has been fixed but hope springs eternal.
Well, with an 8 year warranty....they should be getting tired of this repair and hopefully redesign the offending parts.

RYU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I had this on Day 1. I think it's slightly more pronounced in FWD mode. I've had worse on my Land Rover. I'm not going to worry about it until it becomes an issue.

I believe it's coming from the CV axles. I don't believe the two motors at either ends of the car have a physical connection.

With the amount of torque this truck produces and the complexity of the suspension I think a little noise is par for the course.

Maybe i'm just an earmuffs kinda guy! haha

OP
OP

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I should have posted a follow up:

12/19/22 - Service appointment. They take off the bolted connection from the hub to the shaft and grease it. Sound is gone!

1/5/23 - Sound is back! created a new service ticket. Advisor said this is a common problem and grease only fixes it some of the time

1/23/23 - Service appointment is scheduled. Replacing both front half-shafts. Should be done in half a day.
Sponsored