First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Warehouse Management
Does this actually work? The Maverick bed has slightly different dimensions. I admit that it’s a good looking option, but for $1K+ I would want it to fit correctly.
The only thing I have to go on is that other Maverick covers have fit the T’s bed and seem to work without significant gaps… I’ve only seen other forum members try the tri-fold style though with good luck and function.
Sponsored

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

The only thing I have to go on is that other Maverick covers have fit the T’s bed and seem to work without significant gaps… I’ve only seen other forum members try the tri-fold style though with good luck and function.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. It’s pretty wild to me that a company like BAKFlip, who specializes in tonneau covers, hasn’t developed one for the R1T. Has there ever been such a glaring need in the truck world?

R1T Preds Fan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Warehouse Management
It would be sweet if they had a chance to fit and spec one to fit it exactly! Maybe I won’t have to go this route if the manual cover comes to fruition…

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

It would be sweet if they had a chance to fit and spec one to fit it exactly! Maybe I won’t have to go this route if the manual cover comes to fruition…
I have more confidence in the aftermarket community to develop tonneau covers than Rivian. They’ve had years to produce a manual cover, and yet we still don’t even have a picture. They simply have more critical things to focus on. I know we are supposed to see one s00n, but I am skeptical.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

For those who have the powered tonneau that is either disabled or non-functional and have implemented temporary solution: has anyone simply cut the plastic end caps off or did you disassemble the bed to the point where you could remove the torx bolts holding that cap in place? I'm wondering if it might be easier to simply cut the portion that blocks the channel off and either 3D print a replacement when the fix is implemented or pay for the replacement part since it is basically just a small piece of molded plastic.

It just seems like it's a lot of work to remove all the panels necessary to get to those 3 bolts when it's such an insignificant little piece to replace.

Sponsored

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
I have the roll-up version and gaps aren't an issue, but it hasn't rained since I installed it either. Anything is better than no cover, though.

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I have the roll-up version and gaps aren't an issue, but it hasn't rained since I installed it either. Anything is better than no cover, though.
That’s good to know, thank you!

Agreed. I actually wrote to BAKFlip last night, and they responded this morning that they are “working” on covers specific to the R1T and to check back “in a few weeks.”

This could be just a generic response, but it could also be good news. Even if Rivian releases the manual cover, and the updated power cover, more aftermarket options will benefit us all.

R1T Preds Fan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Warehouse Management
It’s certainly one of the higher end aftermarket options that would be available. But offers a good deal of theft deterrent paired with good quality materials and retains a better lockable function than a Tri-fold imo… Also nice that it is easily rolled out of the way rather than pulling panels out and storing them somewhere else. I’m not in an urgent hurry for a tonneau, but I’ll definitely purchase something by our late summer trip if the Rivian option isn’t sorted by then…

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
My crack at a tonneau. Pretty happy with how it’s turning out. I’d still rather have a powered cover, but I think this should work. Powder coated aluminum fence panels with hdpe slides.

272E59B5-6588-4736-8B87-30F0DFB0EDFC.jpeg

A45453CB-E6EE-4B5C-BCBA-16401044BE46.jpeg

281DB5BB-92A5-4015-848B-1020295A84F8.jpeg
Holy crap. Those panels are $55/each, that's $550 worth of materials there. crazy for fence boards. Definitely the best looking DIY one at the moment... I think I may go with the plastic fence panels for now and 'bed-liner' them black. Until I decide if there's an aftermarket version that I want more...

Anyone else notice that the Rivian manual tonneau option jumped from 800 to 1800? I picked up a R1 shop vehicle and lost my tonneau because my guide said I could buy it when it became available. He didn't say anything about it costing 125% more before it was even listed as available in the shop...

Powered tonneau isn't even listed in the vehicle configurator anymore...

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Came up with this idea while reading through this post. Definitely some labor involved but only about $120 total cost. Vinyl fencing pickets, cut to length, then crush and tape both ends to fit in track. I took this route since I knew fencing can already withstand the elements, it's light-weight, wind resistant, and has a tongue and groove. It takes some cutting and finessing but it works! (I kind of like the white contrast but probably can be painted after properly prepped)

Bed1.jpeg

Bed2.jpeg

Bed4.jpeg

Picket.jpeg

Bed3.jpeg
Here my attempt with vinyl privacy fence

F46B070F-5723-4C6D-94FF-A0892BC0630F.jpeg
@Collyay and @Jack Smoke , how easy are those fence boards to pull apart if you want to remove them? Does pulling on the tailgate one bring the whole cover back to you, or do you need to go grab each panel and slide it out?

Is the tongue and groove tight enough that you need to slide them sideways to pull them apart, or do they sorta pop together and apart with some effort? I think this may be a weekend project for me soon, but I don't think the big box store is going to let me take the fence panel apart in the store to play with it...

Sponsored

Bf3

Site Sponsor
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
interrobang.store
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Holy crap. Those panels are $55/each, that's $550 worth of materials there. crazy for fence boards. Definitely the best looking DIY one at the moment... I think I may go with the plastic fence panels for now and 'bed-liner' them black. Until I decide if there's an aftermarket version that I want more...

Anyone else notice that the Rivian manual tonneau option jumped from 800 to 1800? I picked up a R1 shop vehicle and lost my tonneau because my guide said I could buy it when it became available. He didn't say anything about it costing 125% more before it was even listed as available in the shop...

Powered tonneau isn't even listed in the vehicle configurator anymore...
Yeah, it’s certainly not the cheapest option. It started as a temporary fix, but this will be my permanent cover. All in, it’s ended up well over $800 just in materials and quite a few hours.

Collyay

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, BMW i3, BMW 328i coupe, Subaru Impreza
@Collyay and @Jack Smoke , how easy are those fence boards to pull apart if you want to remove them? Does pulling on the tailgate one bring the whole cover back to you, or do you need to go grab each panel and slide it out?

Is the tongue and groove tight enough that you need to slide them sideways to pull them apart, or do they sorta pop together and apart with some effort? I think this may be a weekend project for me soon, but I don't think the big box store is going to let me take the fence panel apart in the store to play with it...
The tongue and groove on mine rest against each other they don’t snap together. The finished cover is not water proof, with a direct hose I get drips into the bed. Not a big deal. I remove them one at a time, I can slide mine or put them in sideways then set straight, which is a little easier.

dga965

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (Adventure, Red Canyon; Ocean Coast, 20AT)
Yeah, it’s certainly not the cheapest option. It started as a temporary fix, but this will be my permanent cover. All in, it’s ended up well over $800 just in materials and quite a few hours.
Rivian R1T R1S DIY temporary tonneau / bed cover? B34D035E-EC95-49E0-8C76-0F16250BEB94

Going this route as well, thanks to Bf3. Not cheap, but I think it has the potential to be better than the never seen stock Rivian manual tonneau: I have to some calcs but it may be strong enough to stand on, looks great and is repairable

Bf3

Site Sponsor
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
interrobang.store
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

B34D035E-EC95-49E0-8C76-0F16250BEB94.jpeg

Going this route as well, thanks to Bf3. Not cheap, but I think it has the potential to be better than the never seen stock Rivian manual tonneau: I have to some calcs but it may be strong enough to stand on, looks great and is repairable
Repairability is huge for me too. I didn’t do any calculations, but I rolled the dice and found out 2 slats together can support a 180lb guy. I don’t intend to do any tap dancing on top of it, but I’m pretty happy. My kids wouldn’t stay off of it, so I have anecdotal evidence it can support at least 80lbs of wild children too.

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Yeah, I really like that look... @Bf3 Can you post a little more about the work you did to make it so clean? (HDPE slides, how'd you cut down the boards, etc...) I'll stick with my plastic ones until I see more from EVSportline and Rivian for their offerings, but even at $800, you're at, or cheaper, than the Rivian one if you bought it before they increased the price by 125%.
Sponsored