Softopper bed cap for R1T?

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
I really want a Softopper rather than a hard shell cap so I emailed them about product development. Today, a rep responded that a Softopper is indeed in development and was anticipated to be available in about 3 months if all goes well. That would mean approximately April 2023. Pretty excited to hear that at least one option may be available soon!
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
That would be amazing. I love those Softoppers. Very versatile.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
That’s very cool to hear! I’ve had a snugtop on every one of my trucks since I was 16 and don’t want a hard topper every again.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I really want a Softopper rather than a hard shell cap so I emailed them about product development. Today, a rep responded that a Softopper is indeed in development and was anticipated to be available in about 3 months if all goes well. That would mean approximately April 2023. Pretty excited to hear that at least one option may be available soon!
Rivian said 3 months and you believed them? You must be new here.

Just kidding, but I would be surprised if they actually started shipping one in that timeline.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Rivian said 3 months and you believed them? You must be new here.

Just kidding, but I would be surprised if they actually started shipping one in that timeline.
I read that as a statement from the company Softtopper not as something Rivian said.

I’ll probably buy one if they make it.

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I read that as a statement from the company Softtopper not as something Rivian said.

I’ll probably buy one if they make it.
I just re-read it, it looks like you are probably right. My fault.

OP
OP
Rivdog

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
I just re-read it, it looks like you are probably right. My fault.
Yeah, I emailed someone from Softopper, which is an aftermarket accessory company. Not affiliated with Rivian at all.

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Rivian R1T LE (delivered 6/28/22)
Occupation
Retired
Agreed, this is promising, watching the thread…my wife hated the hard cover on the back of my Silverado (that I traded in when I got my R1T), and with something like this on the Rivian, it only blocks the view when you need it….she never learned to drive with mirrors (or cameras)…gotta look over the shoulder 😜

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Yeah this could be cool. Not for my personal use case, but I could see how it has some appeal.

CotoR1TDude

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I reached out to them (softtopper) in Nov/December and they said no, but maybe they are getting a lot of interest. I hope their solution isn't sourced from the same expensive zip code other providers are sourcing from! I have the manual tonneau on order, but I prefer the softopper. - it is very versatile and I can put a real size refrigerator in the bed when camping.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rivdog

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Thanks for posting, but Softopper was far more optimistic with me back in January and indicated the finished product would possibly be ready for delivery by now. To hear that it’s in the “very early stages” of development is extremely disappointing to say the least. Doesn’t look like one will be coming anytime soon after all.

Oppie

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Just got an email back from them last night, it’s on hold until they get more interest and a local truck to design from.

“Our designer has advised that as we haven't gotten a lot of inquiries on this top he will not be proceeding forward with a design at this point in time. If you know anyone else with a Rivian that is interested in a Softopper please have them reach out to us. Once we have enough inquiries he will bring a local truck in to see if the truck's design will work with our top's design.”

OP
OP
Rivdog

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Just got an email back from them last night, it’s on hold until they get more interest and a local truck to design from.

“Our designer has advised that as we haven't gotten a lot of inquiries on this top he will not be proceeding forward with a design at this point in time. If you know anyone else with a Rivian that is interested in a Softopper please have them reach out to us. Once we have enough inquiries he will bring a local truck in to see if the truck's design will work with our top's design.”
Thanks for posting - sucks they told me that it was expected to be available in April 2023 and then said it would be a few more months when I inquired again. To know that they’re not even gonna make one at this point is fine, but I wish they would have been honest up front.

Funny thing is that I offered to let them use my truck for testing back on January 2nd, 2023, and they weren’t interested.