aburke00

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5 Sportback
You gotta be kidney me!

Please forgive this terrible word play which is an attempt to get a chuckle.
Ahh man. That’s what happens when you type angry. Stay tuned. If you like catching typos, urine for a treat with this thread.
Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Ahh man. That’s what happens when you type angry. Stay tuned. If you like catching typos, urine for a treat with this thread.
:clap: THANK YOU FOR THIS!!! :CWL:

I’m just glad I didn’t piss you off by adding humor to a serious subject.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I‘ve purchased several vehicles from BMW Silver Spring and they have always taken exceptional care of me.

Not the case with other BMW dealerships in the WMA…
I agree, overall experience at BMW of Silver Spring was great - we bought two cars there (while living here in PA) because the local dealer in PA sucks. But I object to an $89 charge because they put nitrogen in without asking me if I wanted it. I’m not maintaining them with nitrogen, waste of money.

michaelcasto

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Occupation
Landscaper
Ah yes, like the vast majority of people here I will dearly miss the joyful experience of shopping at my local car dealerships of choice. At least I can recall with the hint of a wistful tear in my eye all my fondly cherished memories of flawless dealership experiences: being given a glance and deemed insufficiently wealthy to be spoken to by a salesperson, asking a dealership representative if a salesperson was available only to be told "we aren't hiring", having my pristine car damaged during its first routine service by an idiot running it through the dealership car wash, etc, etc. Good times indeed.
[/QUOTE I didnt miss the Dealership when I took delivery of my R1T in Oct 22’ but I really miss being able to go get a airbag recall checked and a glitch in my screen looked at and not having to travel out of state to Richmond Va and spending 1k for hotel stay for two nights and food. And then to leave with only the Airbag checked out and glitch in the screen still there and they told me to leave my truck and take rental or set another appointment. So I left in my truck and will schedule another appointment in the winter.

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
I’m in a not dissimilar situation- the night before the delivery, they dinged my R1T and canceled. my wife’s car had died a week earlier and so we are left with a single car, and 3 kids. I offered to take the damage R1T and they refused.

not to bore you all with the details, I’m in a renal which took several days to arrange (they wanted to give me uber credits which simply doesn’t work where I live). now we are in the second week of waiting without any knowledge of when I’ll get into the vehicle that I am paying for.

I am beginning to wonder if the R1T built in 2022 is actually a real lemon and I’m in a similar situation. I too am a bit frustrated, I would have waited for a build if my wife’s car hadn’t died and had rushed to get something close but not what I would have purchased.
Man, we all have rough deliveries. I took delivery last week with a dented door and messed up trim panel. Kind sucked but now they have to replace the entire door apparently over a dent, and the trim panel under a gear tunnel is an easier fix to replace. What sucks on door is it gets ordered, then painted, then put on truck and other parts transferred to it so better work out issue free.

Sponsored

Rs6er

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru, Chevrolet
Just saying.... free in your driveway too with the onboard Rivian compressor 😁

1686073867160.png
Pure nitrogen is better than what your compressor delivers. When your tires are filled by “pure” nitrogen, their tire pressure is not affected by ambient temperature. This is important if you live in a place like I do where there’s a 40 degree air temperature swing every day.

vordo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Rav4 EV
Occupation
Film Music Editor
Man, we all have rough deliveries. I took delivery last week with a dented door and messed up trim panel. Kind sucked but now they have to replace the entire door apparently over a dent, and the trim panel under a gear tunnel is an easier fix to replace. What sucks on door is it gets ordered, then painted, then put on truck and other parts transferred to it so better work out issue free.
At least you got your vehicle - I was more than happy to take it with the ding and have it fixed later but they refused. It's been at the body shop for more than a week with no information as to how long it will be. My family will be traveling most of the summer so it would be an ideal time to have it fixed, right now with school ending, well, I'd be much better off with a dented truck. I made that clear but now I am wondering when the other shoe will drop...

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
When your tires are filled by “pure” nitrogen, their tire pressure is not affected by ambient temperature.
I think you mean they are not affected as much. Nitrogen is better about maintaining consistent pressures in varying temperatures, but still fluctuates.

maddave12

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Volvo XC90, Subaru Outback
Occupation
Selfless supporter of the economy
Clubs

Wow, I hate to wade into what seems like it could become a religious war, but... in the spirit of trying to be informative, this is from Les Schwab:

A normal tire filled with regular air loses an average 1 to 2 PSI (pounds per square inch) per month. It’s true that there is a slower loss from nitrogen-filled tires. But this improvement is slight — only about 1.3 PSI less over the course of an entire year, according to Consumer Reports. It’s not enough to make a true difference in gas mileage or tire wear for people driving passenger vehicles.
I certainly haven't done the tests myself, but I don't see an obvious reason for CR to manipulate their findings on this.

Rs6er

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru, Chevrolet
Wow, I hate to wade into what seems like it could become a religious war, but... in the spirit of trying to be informative, this is from Les Schwab:

I certainly haven't done the tests myself, but I don't see an obvious reason for CR to manipulate their findings on this.
That doesn’t mention temperature fluctuation or stability at all. I made no comment about mileage.

Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I agree, overall experience at BMW of Silver Spring was great - we bought two cars there (while living here in PA) because the local dealer in PA sucks. But I object to an $89 charge because they put nitrogen in without asking me if I wanted it. I’m not maintaining them with nitrogen, waste of money.
I couldn't agree with you moe on the nitrogen and that would have really pissed me off too. The moment you have to top off somewhere with regular air, you've ruined the nitro. Not worth it.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T

So CR is saying that oxygen and other trace elements cause 10x the air loss over the course of a year? Seems improbable since air is 78% nitrogen.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
So CR is saying that oxygen and other trace elements cause 10x the air loss over the course of a year? Seems improbable since air is 78% nitrogen.
There is science behind the nitrogen thing but it's over inflated (pun intended). But there's more profit for the dealer than the science justifies. If it's so important, why don't all service centers offer nitrogen? Most don't!

From a CR article:
"We filled one tire per model with air and another with nitrogen. Both were filled to 30 psi (pounds per square inch) at room temperature. We set both tires outdoors for one year, then checked the inflation pressure at room temperature again.

Both tires lost pressure over that time, but the difference in loss was minimal. The average loss of air-filled tires was just 3.5 psi from the initial 30 psi setting. Nitrogen-filled tires lost an average of 2.2 psi.

The results show that nitrogen does reduce pressure loss, but the reduction was only a 1.3 psi difference from air-filled tires over an entire year."

Nitrogen has less pressure change with temperature, but it is still 1 psi per 10 degrees temperature change with nitrogen, so you can't avoid winter/summer pressure adjustments.

The above losses are equal to a 13 degree temperature change. Temperature change has more impact that annual pressure loss.

The "You need nitrogen" is marketing and profit based hype based on the fact that race teams use nitrogen. That's totally different, where tire temperatures are much higher and variable during the course of a race, and that pressure signficantly affects handling. Anything to minimize variability is worth it on the track.

Sorry, nobody on the street needs nitrogen for any of those reasons.

OP
OP

aburke00

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5 Sportback
Not sure if I’m mostly venting or looking to see if others have dealt with the same, but Rivian royally screwed up what was supposed to be my delivery tomorrrow after years of waiting (like we all have waited). Here’s the details-

I was slated for a July-Sept delivery of an R1S but watched their “ready for delivery” selection religiously to see if my exact configuration popped up. It did and I grabbed it. Took about 2 week with the portal saying “delivery scheduling available soon then last Friday at 5pm central I got a text saying vehicle cleared inspection and I could pick up the vehicle as soon as 6/6 at noon. I immediately responded that 6/6 at noon would be great. They misspoke and said payment needed to be submitted 6/7 by 3pm, but I figured out (over the weekend) that they meant to say 3pm on 6/5. Had to scramble a bit with banks opening just today and needing to move cash around but I got it done, then around 3pm today (shortly after wire was sent), I get notice that my delivery is canceled. No explanation. Naturally I reach out to the person to texted me Friday as well as my guide. They were responsive but couldn’t/wouldn’t share details and started asking if I had flexibility on vehicle specs while they look for another vehicle. Keep in mind I don’t know why delivery was canceled still. I had to get more aggressive than I prefer to get a call today with an explanation for what happened. Ultimately, the vehicle apparently should never have left the plant and on final inspection for release they noted the hold. Sadly I sold my current/former SUV yesterday. To their credit, they are getting a rental for me and trying to find another vehicle that fits my specs quickly, but they have no idea what my timeline looks like now. To say I have a sour taste in my mouth about Rivian right now would be a massive understatement.

Has this happened to others?
IMG_3955.jpeg
IMG_3956.jpeg

IMG_3954.jpeg
Update- 2 days removed from our planned delivery date. The rental car they offered was a small sedan. We had talked about the fact that I have 3 kids in carseats. We were asked to pay the difference for a vehicle that that fits our family. Absolute zero resolution for when we may expected delivery of new R1S. I’m simply back (as of this morning) into having access to the shop. I was told there are 2 with my preferred exterior spec, but white interior (cannot do with kids). Asked if they can ship others from service centers that fit my spec and they said no (this is a won’t vs can’t scenario). My guide is fully unresponsive (see image). Again- This is not a scenario of Rivian doing me a favor by not delivering a defective vehicle.

Rivian R1T R1S Delivery Nightmare IMG_3983

Trizzle29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco FE, Alfa 4c, Panigale
Not sure if I’m mostly venting or looking to see if others have dealt with the same, but Rivian royally screwed up what was supposed to be my delivery tomorrrow after years of waiting (like we all have waited). Here’s the details-

I was slated for a July-Sept delivery of an R1S but watched their “ready for delivery” selection religiously to see if my exact configuration popped up. It did and I grabbed it. Took about 2 week with the portal saying “delivery scheduling available soon then last Friday at 5pm central I got a text saying vehicle cleared inspection and I could pick up the vehicle as soon as 6/6 at noon. I immediately responded that 6/6 at noon would be great. They misspoke and said payment needed to be submitted 6/7 by 3pm, but I figured out (over the weekend) that they meant to say 3pm on 6/5. Had to scramble a bit with banks opening just today and needing to move cash around but I got it done, then around 3pm today (shortly after wire was sent), I get notice that my delivery is canceled. No explanation. Naturally I reach out to the person to texted me Friday as well as my guide. They were responsive but couldn’t/wouldn’t share details and started asking if I had flexibility on vehicle specs while they look for another vehicle. Keep in mind I don’t know why delivery was canceled still. I had to get more aggressive than I prefer to get a call today with an explanation for what happened. Ultimately, the vehicle apparently should never have left the plant and on final inspection for release they noted the hold. Sadly I sold my current/former SUV yesterday. To their credit, they are getting a rental for me and trying to find another vehicle that fits my specs quickly, but they have no idea what my timeline looks like now. To say I have a sour taste in my mouth about Rivian right now would be a massive understatement.

Has this happened to others?
IMG_3955.jpeg
IMG_3956.jpeg

IMG_3954.jpeg
first world problems.. Youre still getting it
Sponsored