Delivery Nightmare

aburke00

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5 Sportback
Not sure if I’m mostly venting or looking to see if others have dealt with the same, but Rivian royally screwed up what was supposed to be my delivery tomorrrow after years of waiting (like we all have waited). Here’s the details-

I was slated for a July-Sept delivery of an R1S but watched their “ready for delivery” selection religiously to see if my exact configuration popped up. It did and I grabbed it. Took about 2 week with the portal saying “delivery scheduling available soon then last Friday at 5pm central I got a text saying vehicle cleared inspection and I could pick up the vehicle as soon as 6/6 at noon. I immediately responded that 6/6 at noon would be great. They misspoke and said payment needed to be submitted 6/7 by 3pm, but I figured out (over the weekend) that they meant to say 3pm on 6/5. Had to scramble a bit with banks opening just today and needing to move cash around but I got it done, then around 3pm today (shortly after wire was sent), I get notice that my delivery is canceled. No explanation. Naturally I reach out to the person to texted me Friday as well as my guide. They were responsive but couldn’t/wouldn’t share details and started asking if I had flexibility on vehicle specs while they look for another vehicle. Keep in mind I don’t know why delivery was canceled still. I had to get more aggressive than I prefer to get a call today with an explanation for what happened. Ultimately, the vehicle apparently should never have left the plant and on final inspection for release they noted the hold. Sadly I sold my current/former SUV yesterday. To their credit, they are getting a rental for me and trying to find another vehicle that fits my specs quickly, but they have no idea what my timeline looks like now. To say I have a sour taste in my mouth about Rivian right now would be a massive understatement.

Has this happened to others?
Rivian R1T R1S Delivery Nightmare IMG_3955
Rivian R1T R1S Delivery Nightmare IMG_3956

Rivian R1T R1S Delivery Nightmare IMG_3954
Sponsored

NormalLife

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, Audi e-tron
Occupation
Med Device
With my delivery apparently sometime this week, but pre-delivery inspection not yet completed, you've made me a little worried!

OP
OP

aburke00

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5 Sportback
I wish I could say don’t worry, but I think I’ll leave it at good luck. Also, I never got an update on the website or from my guide. Just a text out of the blue that said I could schedule pickup via text.

gregtay

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S LS/OC, '21 Escalade, '13 RS5 Cab
The good news (if there is any) is that they didn't deliver a lemon to you. The other good news is that there seems to be a lot of R1S' in the shop and they are shipping them out rather quickly. So you might be on the road rather quickly. Good luck.

Sponsored

OP
OP

aburke00

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5 Sportback
Respectfully, I’m struggling to see the silver lining in having paid and having a vehicle in 18hrs to having paid and not having a definitive timeline.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
My delivery was delayed a week after paying in full with my money and not a loan. Shit happens and it sounds like Rivian is going to make you whole and is giving you a rental car until then. They aren't ignoring you, they didn't take your money and run.

zigzagzap

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maserati QP, Porsche GTS, BMW X5, R1S
Occupation
Financial
You dealer haters can chime in, but this is another case where a local dealer, one who lives in your neighborhood or town can and would provide better service and you'd get to visually see the car before paying for it. I'll shut up now and wait for it.....3.....2.....1........ :surprised:

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
You dealer haters can chime in, but this is another case where a local dealer, one who lives in your neighborhood or town can and would provide better service and you'd get to visually see the car before paying for it. I'll shut up now and wait for it.....3.....2.....1........ :surprised:
Ah yes, like the vast majority of people here I will dearly miss the joyful experience of shopping at my local car dealerships of choice. At least I can recall with the hint of a wistful tear in my eye all my fondly cherished memories of flawless dealership experiences: being given a glance and deemed insufficiently wealthy to be spoken to by a salesperson, asking a dealership representative if a salesperson was available only to be told "we aren't hiring", having my pristine car damaged during its first routine service by an idiot running it through the dealership car wash, etc, etc. Good times indeed.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Agree. If you want to have a car instantly after paying for it then buy one off the lot. Don’t forget to pay the market adjustment and the underbody coating.

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Ah yes, like the vast majority of people here I will dearly miss the joyful experience of shopping at my local car dealerships of choice. At least I can recall with the hint of a wistful tear in my eye all my fondly cherished memories of flawless dealership experiences: being given a glance and deemed insufficiently wealthy to be spoken to by a salesperson, asking a dealership representative if a salesperson was available only to be told "we aren't hiring", having my pristine car damaged during its first routine service by an idiot running it through the dealership car wash, etc, etc. Good times indeed.
Let me guess....it wasn't a Lexus or Acura, correct?

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I actually agree with you. I think the direct model has alot of upside...and hoping fairly quickly Rivian fixes a bunch of things like this pretty quickly...but at this moment...they aren't performing better than dealers at least in my experience over the past few decades....

OP
OP

aburke00

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5 Sportback
My delivery was delayed a week after paying in full with my money and not a loan. Shit happens and it sounds like Rivian is going to make you whole and is giving you a rental car until then. They aren't ignoring you, they didn't take your money and run.
Correct. I’ve definitely not tried to complain about the bad while ignoring their efforts to provide service. But this becoming and indefinite delay is the part that has my head spinning. They’re asking me if I’d consider different specs, colors, etc. It does not appear that this is about to be a 1 week delay.

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Sucks to have that happen, but I think Rivian is being reasonable by offering a rental - especially since you could just cancel the order at any time and they’d have already paid out for it. I highly, highly doubt most legacy manufacturers would do that (maybe the high end stuff, idk, but I’m pretty sure Ford wouldn’t, for example).

You’ve waited this long, and when you finally get it, the truck will be worth it. Hang in there!

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Correct. I’ve definitely not tried to complain about the bad while ignoring their efforts to provide service. But this becoming and indefinite delay is the part that has my head spinning. They’re asking me if I’d consider different specs, colors, etc. It does not appear that this is about to be a 1 week delay.
It sounds like the one they sold you either doesn't exist, was allocated to someone else, or got wrecked in the delivery process like fell off the truck. That's why they are talking about different VIN's and specs because they want to get you a vehicle as fast as they possibly can and the fastest way they can do that is give you one that's already been produced. I'm not sure how long your delay is going to be, I think that depends on whether or not you can find something from their existing inventory.
Sponsored