Sponsored

Brake light function with one pedal driving?

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Interesting. Did not know that. Good to know. Thanks
I'm glad my pickup/delivery person showed me that before my first drive. I was curious, as well.

As one of my friends said, with all the screens (even the little car showing what it's doing) it's like driving around in Google Maps. šŸ˜†
Sponsored

OP
OP

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20ā€
It used to be the "normal" way to drive was to upshift to continue accelerating and then downshift to slow down. No amount of downshifting ever activated a tail light. People actually had to pay attention to the vehicle that was in front of them.
While I donā€™t have a stick shift, anymore, I have had plenty in my time, and do love them. Today, even though I have an automatic, I use my tranny ALL THE TIME to slow down and on downhills to control speed. Isnā€™t that what itā€™s there for šŸ˜ƒ I constantly follow people on long downhill grades, riding their brakes all the way down. Heck, I downshift a gear or two, just like a stick shift, and coast leisurely down. Using the brakes is pretty much a last resort, for slowing down even quicker or coming to a final stop. Iā€™m tellinā€™ ya, I get a LOT of miles out of set of brake pads. Maybe thatā€™s why, when I test drove an R1T, the whole one pedal thing felt instantly normal, to me. I loved it!!

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Been driving EVs for 4 years now and stick since I started driving. I was paying more attention to the brake lights in the on-dash representation and was actually bothered by the fact that the brake lights don't come on until I'm braking harder than I normally do coming to a stop in traffic. In a stick that's not a problem since you could just graze the brake pedal just enough to trip the brake lights. I love high regen, but it does seem like they should come on with slightly less deceleration.

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
If somebody behind you is annoyed with how frequent your brake lights come on, that's on them.
Well, most considerate people don't enjoy having their brake lights going on and off any more than a typical, average vehicle. Best case it's annoying to those driving behind you, worst case you get a crazy road rager that's assuming you're brake-checking them.

To your earlier point that brake lights should activate every time you slow down for obvious safety reasons, why isn't there mass death and carnage on the road where we've had and still have hundreds of millions of vehicles that have more than one gear? None of which activate brake lights when driving in lower gears or simply downshifting to slow the vehicle down.

Ideally, and particularly for a truck at this price point, there should be multiple drive modes with varying levels of regen; at least one of which allows some regen when pulling off the accelerator but NOT enough regen to activate the brake lights. Ford has a "sport" mode for their Lightning that does just this. Unfortunately Ford screwed this feature up by resetting it to off every time you turn your vehicle off...forcing you to go through the menu screen with several taps and delays to turn it back on. Hopefully Rivian offers something in an update downstream and doesn't screw it up like Ford.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Forgot this thread existed, but used snow mode for the first time this morning and feel like it's even worse when it's slick. Obviously you want to be braking less than normal to ensure you don't lockup/slide and I was frequently coming to a stop this morning without the brake lights coming on at all until I came to a complete stop. That doesn't seem right.

Sponsored

tragicmonkey049

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Adventure; 2019 Toyo Prius
Occupation
Curmudgeon
Some one-pedal-drive vehicles don't activate the brake lights unless you completely release the pedal. So it's possible (as the below video shows) to rapidly decelerate without ever illuminating your brake lights. Considering all the data that made the 3rd brake light mandatory, I'd say the brake lights are kind of important when quickly decelerating... Does Rivian activate the lights before one's foot comes completely off the pedal?

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I did discover recently that you can use your left foot, while still managing light regen with the right, to lightly hit the brake pedal and get the brake lights to light up without the truck slamming to full regen and adding friction brakes hard.

R1TruKaLa

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜23 Blue R1T
Occupation
Merchant Seaman
There have been really good reasons NOT to tailgate since the second automobile hit the road. It used to be, that everything had a manual transmission. Some still are.

It used to be the "normal" way to drive was to upshift to continue accelerating and then downshift to slow down. No amount of downshifting ever activated a tail light. People actually had to pay attention to the vehicle that was in front of them.

Nowdays, we have metric sh*t tons of drivers who have no idea what to do with a clutch and stick shift. Most people no longer "drive"...they just "aim"....[end of rant.]
Very true, most people drive like idiots, everyone making up their own rules šŸ˜–

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
Some one-pedal-drive vehicles don't activate the brake lights unless you completely release the pedal. So it's possible (as the below video shows) to rapidly decelerate without ever illuminating your brake lights. Considering all the data that made the 3rd brake light mandatory, I'd say the brake lights are kind of important when quickly decelerating... Does Rivian activate the lights before one's foot comes completely off the pedal?
As others have said, Rivians DO NOT operate like his Ioniq 5 so there is nothing to worry about. There is a bit of deadzone where the lights don't come on when you start regen but it's very small.

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

As others have said, Rivians DO NOT operate like his Ioniq 5 so there is nothing to worry about. There is a bit of deadzone where the lights don't come on when you start regen but it's very small.
IMHO, the Rivian still is capable of braking too strongly without activating the brake lights. Almost daily I manage to stop at various lights with the brake lights not coming on until I've already come to a stop. Not a fan.

RivLiam

First Name
Liam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

It's based off of the amount of deceleration.

This is what the law is for european countries. I thought there was an identical law for the US but I can't find it currently, so ignore previous edits of mine.

1680545678302.png

I've actually observed that when you are traveling at a decent rate of speed and regen brakes are severely limited that the Rivian will still slow down but not illuminate the stop lamps, so they have to be measuring it somehow.
So while this may be true for Rivian (and I've noticed it in my old Polestar) there actually isn't this rule in the US. He goes WAY into the details but check out around 16:30 since "service brakes" and "supplemental brakes" are two different things.
Electric cars prove we need to rethink brake lights - YouTube

Milermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I tend to modify my driving sometimes because of the brake lights on regen.
Since it's right there in front of me on the driver display I can see when the brake lights come on during deceleration. When I'm driving an ICE and pass someone I let off the brake and coast to decelerate. If I do that in the Rivian it looks like I'm passing them and then brake checking them. So I try and make a conscious effort to slow more moderately after passing.
Still, I have noticed that the Rivian brake lights come on more frequently than I would use the brake in an ICE.
Maybe that's just because I get pumped up by the power at my disposal and drive more aggressively in the Rivian. In that case, it's all on me.

jlstan

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mustang GT
So I've always hated folks that ride their brakes. Drives/drove me crazy. My other car is a 6-speed, and I use the brakes sparingly by anticipating and situational awareness. That was the way I was taught.

Now my Rivian brakes on its own, and I'm one of those people. Karma, I suppose.

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Any other colorblind (or otherwise) people here who have a hard time seeing the brake lights on the dash? I know they're there but it's very difficult for me to see in most conditions, even at night!
Sponsored