Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

There has been much discussion around this and it is pretty clear the current Bosch motors and existing electronics will not support either of these. Pretty sure this will come with the new Rivian motors they are working on.
GM is running a split pack with a core 400V system/motors. During charging they apparently run the pack in series vs parallel to get "800V" for DCFC only. I put that in quotes because IIRC it's more like 350V nominal operation and ~700V for DCFC. I mention this only because you don't need to have an 800V drivetrain to charge at 800V.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
GM is running a split pack with a core 400V system/motors.
Several years ago Rivian filed a patent application outlining exactly this practice. Don't know if it was ever granted.

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Back to the original question.. when does the R1 become outdated..

It depends on your order status in my opinion. If you have a pre-price gate order, I dont think it becomes outdated for the product your getting at a price comparison. Theres not much, if anything, you can get that should have the features, size, power, etc, at the given price point. But it will become outdated as Rivian goes to build the R2T in the near future.

If your Post-Price Gate, then its already outdated. A Ford F150 Lightning Lariat is the same price, maybe even cheaper, already has a dealer network in place, has a overall better design, and a few other notables, but is also a larger truck. The Silverado EV is still a unknown. They could potentially do the same thing Rivian did with price-gate, and GM has done it before, nothing to stop them from doing it again.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
2019 technology delivered in 2023?

Sponsored

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Every vehicle has a “few year old technology” when it’s finally released. The development/new model stages take several years to complete before you can actually buy the vehicle.

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Did you just list that as a positive? 😞
I did..
Ford dealer is 1.5 miles from my house.
Rivian dealer is 21.8 miles from my house.
It is all relative.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I did..
It is all relative.
I think when they are saying outdated they mean features and capabilities.

I also do not think the F150 and R1T are really competitors. They are designed for 2 different markets. It would be interesting to see if both were readily available how many people would actually cross shop them given how different they really are.

FrankieJ

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and Mercedes GLE 53 AMG
I disagree. I am a fairly early adopter of technology. In 2018, when Rivian showcased the R1T, Apple introduced the iPhone X and Google introduced the Pixel 3. Imagine if Apple/Google tried releasing either of those phone today or in 2-3 years.
Tesla and Rivian want to be tech companies. If that’s the market they want to play in, they need to understand that 2-3 year delays put them way behind in technology.
Back to the camera issue. I believe (personal opinion) is that the electronics being used are outdated and limiting the camera quality. Something like that is such a low hanging fruit that it should never have been put through QA. Some have said Rivian reduced the resolution so that more processing power could be used in data collection. If that’s true then it only strengthens my belief that the electronics are pre 2019 standards.
Maybe you should just stick with an ICE or get yourself a Cybertruck. All the back and forth is getting tiresome. Rivian has so many good things going for it that your concerns come across as rather nit picky. Every single reputable EXPERT reviewer has been over the top with the Rivian. Is it perfect. No. Nothing is, but it is as bleeding edge as any vehicle out there. I am sure there are plenty of people that would love your place in line.

Sponsored

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
I think when they are saying outdated they mean features and capabilities.

I also do not think the F150 and R1T are really competitors. They are designed for 2 different markets. It would be interesting to see if both were readily available how many people would actually cross shop them given how different they really are.
Agreed on not really being competitors. But then again, nothing else really is. Its in its own size class, and category.

As far as features and capabilities, I still think they are better than competitors based on price class. Pre-Price-Gate, better than others, Post-Price-Gate, slightly less than others, when you compare it dollar for dollar on what you get.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Well, it's 2018 tech first delivered in late '21 ... : )
The whole truck is not the battery alone (and really it's only the battery cooling that's obsolete.)
We're seeing the Munro teardown and some of it is not the wow and awe of a Plaid battery and the R1 was never going to be a Model Y for mass production and years of revision in lean design. Even now Tesla hasn't propagated some of the innovation of the Y into the S, X and 3.
Also, in '23 or '24, the battery gets a refresh.
From the long arm, long travel suspension and quad motor to the cabin design, there's nothing coming to market to compare to it … people who will enjoy the R1 would not be seen in the Clustertruck or Hummer EV. The Lightning and EVlanche are 20% larger (and just drive their ICE equivalent to feel the difference … those are all the pluses and minuses of full size trucks … )
I don't see the R1 "dating" for 7 years, so call it 2025 before Rivian will really be needing to do something about design and appearance, but Rivian needs to be moving quickly right now for the lack of complete software and its Driver+ implementation … good news there is it's the same technology as Ford BlueCruise and GM SuperCruise, so Rivian has the capability to offer hands-free.

scooby

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RT1, F250, Just sold Plaid
Occupation
Finance
I did..
It is all relative.
Meh R1T is far superior in capability to the Lighting. The Air suspension alone dominates the lightning. Not to mention the 4 motors vs 2 etc Does Ford mobile tech to your home? Nah. Do Ford dealers price gouge and rape their customers almost across the board on new purchase? Yup

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

GM is running a split pack with a core 400V system/motors. During charging they apparently run the pack in series vs parallel to get "800V" for DCFC only. I put that in quotes because IIRC it's more like 350V nominal operation and ~700V for DCFC. I mention this only because you don't need to have an 800V drivetrain to charge at 800V.
This sounds like a problem waiting to happen

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Meh R1T is far superior in capability to the Lighting. The Air suspension alone dominates the lightning. Not to mention the 4 motors vs 2 etc Does Ford mobile tech to your home? Nah. Do Ford dealers price gouge and rape their customers almost across the board on new purchase? Yup
Not even close...Rivian is superior
Sponsored