Sponsored

At what point is the R1T outdated?

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This field needs to be bigger, I’m at 10 cars…
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

So, I get where you're coming from. But I also think it's a bit of a fallacy. It's functionally no different than ICE vehicles.

What's "obsolete" in this case? Not "best in category compared to new vehicles?" As long as they have that 800v parallel pack switch, there isnt a ton coming down the pipe to massively change performance.

Is a 2010 range Rover obsolete?
as the former owner of a 2012 Range Rover, the answer is definitely yes!
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model-Y, VW GTI, Holden Commodore (Chevy SS)
Occupation
Engineer, Business Owner, Sales Guy
With the next inevitable delay and the slow ramp up, will the R1T become outdated before significant deliveries even start? If they take 2-3 years to clear the current backlog of orders, will the R1T still be relevant?

They are trying to come to market with killer specs for 2018, but it’s 2022! How will the look in a few years when a brand new R1T is using 5 year old tech? Will Rivian make any changes so close to launch, or have they stockpiled clearance parts and need to use up their inventory?

We know there are shortcomings and some will scream OTA updates but if the hardware isn’t there, no OTA magic can help.
I have a preorder for the R1T, R1S and Silverado EV. If Rivian can’t deliver in another year and doesn’t update the aging tech, I don’t see myself holding an R1 for very long, if at all.
I agree, the truck is awesome but it 2018’s hella bad.

400v battery tech, 300 mile range is acceptable today but will be dated real quick.

I’m starting to think GM is the dark horse in the EV industry. They are focusing on battery supply chain and the ability to scale up. The cars are the easiest part for GM.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

I think when they are saying outdated they mean features and capabilities.

I also do not think the F150 and R1T are really competitors. They are designed for 2 different markets. It would be interesting to see if both were readily available how many people would actually cross shop them given how different they really are.
I know I am

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

You might recall that 911s up until the mid to late 80s were called "widow makers" because the rear engine layout was not forgiving to most drivers.
This is plain generalization.
The first widow maker was the 930 and the next one (for some) was the 997 GT2.
Anyway, this isn’t Rennlist.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Yet you felt compelled to post your correction. This isn't PorschePolice.com either.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

This is plain generalization.
The first widow maker was the 930 and the next one (for some) was the 997 GT2.
You're absolutely right. I just used it to simply illustrated just how much things change over time, even though exterior may look similar to the mass. :)
Sponsored