Systems Exec

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Itā€™s just phoned in. I hate how it looks and distracts from the overall ethos of the car.

News? While Iā€™m driving? Jesus, people - try harder.

I say this as 1) one who loves Carplay, and 2) one who does not actually want Carplay in their Rivian, and 3) someone who is pretty much inextricably tied to the Apple ecosystem. Just ā€¦ no.

jdkent

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Attorney
Itā€™s just phoned in. I hate how it looks and distracts from the overall ethos of the car.

I say this as 1) one who loves Carplay, and 2) one who does not actually want Carplay in their Rivian, and 3) someone who is pretty much inextricably tied to the Apple ecosystem. Just ā€¦ no.
CarPlay is just so much better for people that use more that the telephone, bad maps and limited music. Carplay reads and letā€™s you dictate messages, integrates your calendar and destinations, letā€™s you call or text people in WhatsApp, WeChat, etc., allows nearly unlimited music inputs, multiple map integrations, and much, much moreā€¦. You can even do Zoom, Webex, and Teams audio for meetings. Those that donā€™t want CarPlay, just donā€™t use it. It is for those of us that want/need a much more robust system than the very limited and basic offerings by Rivianā€¦..

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

So many people can't just focus on the task at hand while driving, it's getting pretty ridiculous to be completely honest.

Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
Next gen CP with integrated multiple screens, much improved graphics, and brand design cues.

Yes please.

Rivian will never catch up to Apple, Google Maps, Waze, multitude of hard wired music options, text dictation/read, and the plethora of whatever else you already have and pay for on your smartphone. CPā€™s current functions way exceed Rivian, and many of you complain about those.

Carry on.

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

Automakers had their chance, it's time to let Apple fix terrible car software

"The average age of the smartphone in someoneā€™s pocket is far lower than the car they drive. There is no reason to believe that will change in the coming decade. The technology we carry will, for the foreseeable future, be more capable than the technology that carries us. This is at the core of the in-car projection issue, and itā€™s a fight the carmakers canā€™t win."

https://apple.news/AIivKLuUYSgeheoPAYA0C2Q

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
If People are really so busy maybe hire a driver, or an assistant to handle these functions while you drive. A lot of people talk about safety but studies show distractions are distractions.

Here is a good study showing voice to text verses texting is not really any safer, Iā€™m sure studies will show other features would be similar when moved from the small screen to the large one.

gregtay

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S LS/OC, '21 Escalade, '13 RS5 Cab
I believe this is exactly why Rivian doesn't want to jump in bed with Apple. Apple wants control of ALL screens, the entire experience. Apple isn't going to build their own car... they are simply going to own the screens in all the cars on the road (so they also own monetization of services). quite brilliant strategy. The car is the next "mobile phone" and Carplay was just a trojan horse to get Apple in the gates. Yes, the convenience for users is great, but I think we are headed to a place where we have to choose "google or apple" when deciding which new car we want. I don't think Tesla and Rivian can hold out forever... Apple and Google have too much power at this point and customers want the integrated experience.

Pacblue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
I have said this before and I'll say it again - the fact that texting does not work natively with Rivian will drive these complaints and CarPlay rants into eternity. The fact Rivian prioritized sand mode, or rallye mode, or Halloween over native texting, after all these years is just such a bummer.

Make no sense, and I don't want CarPlay either, but without native texting, a core functionality of a modern car for *me*, it drives me to want CarPlay back. And CP, the current interface is **TERRIBLE** and I still want it back for texting (and better Maps but I am willing to use Rivians to some extent).

Rivian are you listening?

Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
No premium oem that can develop their own software will neuter their brand and feel by outsourcing their software and user experience to Apple, etc

Every oem that do so will reduce to becoming the cheapest to produce commodity hardware, ie all the generic Android phone manufacturers.

The smart car OEMs will invest in software and develop their entire stack. Much like Apple does with their own hardware and software stack.

If this is unacceptable to you, you have few choices:

- Buy a separate hardware adapter for CarPlay such as the one from EVSportsline

- Or, buy a generic oem brand that offers CarPlay.

OP
OP
pangpang77

pangpang77

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5, 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV Premier
Occupation
Systems Exec
No premium oem that can develop their own software will neuter their brand and feel by outsourcing their software and user experience to Apple, etc

Every oem that do so will reduce to becoming the cheapest to produce commodity hardware, ie all the generic Android phone manufacturers.

The smart car OEMs will invest in software and develop their entire stack. Much like Apple does with their own hardware and software stack.

If this is unacceptable to you, you have few choices:

- Buy a separate hardware adapter for CarPlay such as the one from EVSportsline

- Or, buy a generic oem brand that offers CarPlay.
Aston Martin and Porsche are pretty premium no?

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Aston Martin and Porsche are pretty premium no?
In the past, where ICE tech, sound, feel for the road, defined their brands.

Going forward, putting EV motors onto a battery skateboard can only be done in so many ways. The drivetrain becomes harder to defend as the brandā€™s primary valueā€”as it did in the past.

And if software on top of this rather generic EV motor + battery become solely CarPlay or AA, what tangible value does Porsche offer long term? Porsche risks becoming another generic hardware provider.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

The car is the next "mobile phone"
I donā€™t see how this can possibly be true. People will not make a vehicle the personal center of their electronic lives because they cannot keep it with them all of the time.

If anything, wearables (watches,, bracelets, headsets, glasses, etc.) or implantable tech will be the next ā€œmobile phoneā€ and when this happens, people after the transition will look at us today the same way we look back at folks with pocket watches. ā€œItā€™s so quaint that they used to consider something as big as a pocket watch to be high tech. Itā€™s telling that they went to such lengths to personalize pocket watches with accessories like chains, engraving, and fobs.ā€ Todays phone cases, grip/stands, and dangling faux jewels are just tomorrowā€™s pocket watch chains, engraved cases, and fobs.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
In the past, where ICE tech, sound, feel for the road, defined their brands.

Going forward, putting EV motors onto a battery skateboard can only be done in so many ways. The drivetrain becomes harder to defend as the brandā€™s primary valueā€”as it did in the past.

And if software on top of this rather generic EV motor + battery become solely CarPlay or AA, what tangible value does Porsche offer long term? Porsche risks becoming another generic hardware provider.
Have you driven a Porsche, both ICE and EV? Owned either?

Cause generic isnā€™t used much.

High maintenance supermodel? High performance? Expensive? Beautiful? Absolute blast? Sure.
Sponsored