Sponsored

Aston Martin and Porsche Preview Next Gen CarPlay

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Have you driven a Porsche, both ICE and EV? Owned either?

Cause generic isn’t used much.

High maintenance supermodel? High performance? Expensive? Beautiful? Absolute blast? Sure.
Driven ICE Porsche plenty. Fun to drive, would love to own one for sentimental reasons.

EV Porsche? Would much rather own a Model S over a Taycan for the money, even though I don’t like Teslas. (Yes I’ve driven both)
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I’m so thoroughly tied into the Apple ecosystem that Tim Cook should put me in his will.

That being said, I hate what I saw in that article. No thanks. And I don’t blame carmakers for resisting this movement because why the hell would they want to cede control of all displays in their vehicles to Apple or Google?

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
^The Germans and Koreans have a leg up with 800v architecture. Once Porsche and Audi get range to proper 300 mile + threshold they’ll press other premium EV offerings back down the totem pole.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Remember when Compaq, Dell, HP, Micron, Acer, etc all offered their PCs with their “brands”, and all of them just ran Windows?

And when that happened, the only company able to capture long term extraordinary profits was Microsoft.

If car companies become generic hardware OEMs running Apple CarPlay, then the car companies will become the next Compaq, Dell, HP, etc.

(EV motors + batteries, at some level, are like generic hardware. Heck, even Rivian bought motors from Bosch to get started. Rivian still buys their batteries.)

The only way car OEMs can charge long term premium and earn extraordinary profits is to own the entire user experience, which make their brands unique and special. Rivian understands this.

No car company wants to be another Compaq.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
^Wait, so car manufacturers are gonna produce homogenious vehicles with zero differentiation and their software will all be inferior to those who are in that business, and people are gonna actually pay for that?

Quite the stretch thesis.

Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
^Wait, so car manufacturers are gonna produce homogenious vehicles with zero differentiation and their software will all be inferior to those who are in that business, and people are gonna actually pay for that?

Quite the stretch thesis.
You can argue all you want. But it’s just an academic exercise. Rivian isn’t going to offer CarPlay. That’s the reality.

If you want CarPlay in your Rivian, get the EVSportsline product or equivalent

OP
OP
pangpang77

pangpang77

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5, 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV Premier
Occupation
Systems Exec
You can argue all you want. But it’s just an academic exercise. Rivian isn’t going to offer CarPlay. That’s the reality.

If you want CarPlay in your Rivian, get the EVSportsline product or equivalent
I have a CarPlay device and will replace it with EVSportsline one. But as an owner of an R1S, I have a right to feel it’s a shame I can’t tap into the large main screen and complain and vent and hope that they will change their mind at some point.

Or if not CarPlay, allow a third party app like Google Maps or Waze just like Spotify. They can share revenue with the 3rd party app providers. They get there money and customers get to install what they want to use for navigation. Because for now the Rivian Navi app is way inferior.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
I have a CarPlay device and will replace it with EVSportsline one. But as an owner of an R1S, I have a right to feel it’s a shame I can’t tap into the large main screen and complain and vent and hope that they will change their mind at some point.

Or if not CarPlay, allow a third party app like Google Maps or Waze just like Spotify. They can share revenue with the 3rd party app providers. They get there money and customers get to install what they want to use for navigation. Because for now the Rivian Navi app is way inferior.
Please don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying people can’t or shouldn’t express their opinions. But, I’m also being realistic on what to expect from Rivian.

IMO, Apple and Google should invest time into more APIs that car OEMs can tap into. This way, car OEMs can utilize the data from Apple and Google into their own software, while preserving the car brand’s user experience/ownership.

OP
OP
pangpang77

pangpang77

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5, 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV Premier
Occupation
Systems Exec
Mercedes EQS has my vote on the most beautiful interior for an EV thus far. It’s anything but generic. They were able to find a way to integrate CarPlay for those that want to use it but keep the rest of their interface.

I don’t think we need to worry about Mercedes becoming a Compaq.

Rivian R1T R1S Aston Martin and Porsche Preview Next Gen CarPlay IMG_8883

Rivian R1T R1S Aston Martin and Porsche Preview Next Gen CarPlay IMG_8884
Sponsored