First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I don't recall if it was asked, but thought I'd share info about battery drain when not in use. My R1T sat for several days unplugged while I was away travelling. The battery lost an average of ~4.2% per 24 hours. 110 volt receptacles and gear guard were off.
That's what... 200w continuously? I'm sure they'll get it under control, but I also wonder what else is in the truck that would suck that much power other than the HVAC system.
Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I don't recall if it was asked, but thought I'd share info about battery drain when not in use. My R1T sat for several days unplugged while I was away travelling. The battery lost an average of ~4.2% per 24 hours. 110 volt receptacles and gear guard were off.
At home? connected to wifi? In a garage?

I wonder how much debug software they are running.

Things like constantly updating gps, searching for cell service in a low signal area, etc. All that can add up.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
this thread is starting to get scary lol

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

I haven't heard any other reports of vampire drain that are significant. It is possibly a problem with your specific truck, which would suck.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I've had to turn off auto lock/unlock because mine was constantly doing both with my phone inside. I'm 30+ft away when standing at my window and I can watch the truck unlock itself. So for now I've sadly turned that feature off. Others have stated its not so bad so YMMV
I had the same issue and turned it off. Easy to manually lock/unlock with the app though. But honestly, I love the fob and use that primarily. Clips right onto my belt loop or shoulder bag easily.

I haven't heard any other reports of vampire drain that are significant. It is possibly a problem with your specific truck, which would suck.
I've seen 1% or less the last couple nights. I'll be sure to watch it though.

But I did just notice how warm the cabin is... It was a nice partly cloudy 60s day here and was parked in the sun as I worked in the garage today. It wasn't hot when I put it back in at 6pm. It just finished charging to 70%, does that warm the cabin?
Rivian R1T R1S Ask us Rivian R1T owners ANYTHING [AMA]! Screenshot_20220327-222213~2

Sponsored

Lsthrz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
How do the OTA updates arrive and are they auto-downloaded and installed? Do you have to be on Wi-Fi?

MarkB

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 1500HD
Do any of the current owners experience this drive train knocking at low speeds? (22:26 in video)

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Do any of the current owners experience this drive train knocking at low speeds? (22:26 in video)
That's what that sound was! I heard it when we hit the forest roads this weekend. My wife thought I was crazy.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Mine went from 65% to 61% overnight. Gear guard on.

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
Anyone used the USBC ports in the headrests for anything yet? Still scratching my head on what those ports are there for...I'm confident there's a good reason.

Sponsored

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
Anyone used the USBC ports in the headrests for anything yet? Still scratching my head on what those ports are there for...I'm confident there's a good reason.
Main reason I've heard is to power a tablet for kiddos in the rear seat, which is why they are next to the hook. Get yourself a case with a handle, and you can give your kids the "Economy+" airline experience!

Some people also like that they are more visible & easier to access for passengers to charge their devices (the cord isn't running across to the middle). That use feels a little more dubious, but it's still nice since you have both.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
?
Jeezzz...... That's pretty significant in my book. I don't think it's my imagination, he's slightly visibly jostled when you hear that? Seems like it might happen once per revolution of a half shaft/CV joint? My concern is that thngs like that almost never get better, they only get worse.

This is one to watch for a few months. If I had taken delivery of this vehicle, I would have reported this immediately to Rivian.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Main reason I've heard is to power a tablet for kiddos in the rear seat, which is why they are next to the hook. Get yourself a case with a handle, and you can give your kids the "Economy+" airline experience!

Some people also like that they are more visible & easier to access for passengers to charge their devices (the cord isn't running across to the middle). That use feels a little more dubious, but it's still nice since you have both.
Also as i found out this winter, cables shouldn't be lying on the floor. Had a buddy up from Florida riding in the passenger seat of my Ram, for 2 days there was this burning rubber smell, but only in the cabin. Mechanic checked everything out, no issues.

My buddy let his usb cable fall to the floor, and with the snow and salt it was shorting out and melting my floormat causing the smell.

I never let my cables stay on the floor, I have always curled them up. Lesson learned for him I guess.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Mine went from 65% to 61% overnight. Gear guard on.
I pulled mine off the charger last night around 8pm at 70%, still at 70% this morning as of 8:20. Gear Guard is on sitting in my driveway.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
When sharing issues like this, we should probably also report which software version is running at the time.
Sponsored