Sponsored

Anyone trying the EVBASE Running Boards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

branden

First Name
Branden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T - many EVs in past
Occupation
EV charging deployment
Thanks @branden. Im not an attorney but looking through the terms of this Act I don’t see any indication that additional functionality is covered. Meaning that while this act protects the warranty when using after market parts for existing functionality (eg light bulbs or oil filters) it makes no mention of adding functionality like in this case of adding running boards. So imagine if you were to add a bed topper for example since Rivian doesn’t make one, and it damages the trim or breaks the rear glass. Then I would imagine that wouldn’t be under warranty.

I pinged my guide and this was his reply:
“While other 3rd party products may work with your Rivian vehicle, Rivian has only approved and rigorously tested the products sold on www.rivian.com and cannot speak to additional options available on the greater marketplace. The New Vehicle Limited Warranty may be voided, in whole or in part, due to improper usage.”

Definitely more of a catch-all type response but there’s a non-zero risk that Rivian may deny a warranty claim if they think the running boards caused a problem. Like I’m not sure if those frame bolts are just there hanging out waiting for an accessory or are they actually holding stuff together and if that’s the case then adding running boards brackets effectively shortens those bolts and could that result in bolt failure?
Rivian would have to prove the accessory caused the defect. I worked in the automotive service industry in the independent performance parts side of the industry, the franchise dealer service side and mfg side (Tesla). I'm very familiar.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Rivian would have to prove the accessory caused the defect. I worked in the automotive service industry in the independent performance parts side of the industry, the franchise dealer service side and mfg side (Tesla). I'm very familiar.
I'd be worried about them voiding the corrosion warranty from suspect metal usage in the brackets. Would definitely be provable.

branden

First Name
Branden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EV charging deployment
I'd be worried about them voiding the corrosion warranty from suspect metal usage in the brackets. Would definitely be provable.
I'm not telling you should install them if you're concerned, but I'm saying that I'm not personally concerned and that the law has your side.

OP
OP
Foobar

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
I'm not telling you should install them if you're concerned, but I'm saying that I'm not personally concerned and that the law has your side.
The onus is on the manufacturer to prove that the aftermarket item caused a problem, and then even if they can prove that, they can only reject a warranty claim for that damage. In Dark-Fx's example, yes if they can prove that an aftermarket bolt-on caused corrosion to occur, then they would be able to reject a warranty claim for corrosion related damages on the parts related to the use of the aftermarket item.

They cannot, despite what manufacturers have said to consumers, invalidate warranty coverage over the entire vehicle because you attached an aftermarket item, unless the aftermarket item can be proven to be the cause of damages over the entire vehicle.

They also cannot refuse a warranty claim on damages unrelated to the aftermarket item - for example, I install an aftermarket turbocharger on a car and the sunroof fails to close - they can't say "Oh you installed a turbo, you're on your own." Now if they can prove that the turbo somehow broke the sunroof, yeah your sunroof is no longer warrantied, but if you then go back and have a problem with your taillight and that has nothing to do with the turbo, that should still be covered.

That all said, each consumer needs to decide for themselves if they want to deal with the battle. Also, seek guidance from your attorney, I am not a lawyer, yadda yadda yadda.

Sponsored

branden

First Name
Branden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EV charging deployment
The onus is on the manufacturer to prove that the aftermarket item caused a problem, and then even if they can prove that, they can only reject a warranty claim for that damage. In Dark-Fx's example, yes if they can prove that an aftermarket bolt-on caused corrosion to occur, then they would be able to reject a warranty claim for corrosion related damages on the parts related to the use of the aftermarket item.

They cannot, despite what manufacturers have said to consumers, invalidate warranty coverage over the entire vehicle because you attached an aftermarket item, unless the aftermarket item can be proven to be the cause of damages over the entire vehicle.

They also cannot refuse a warranty claim on damages unrelated to the aftermarket item - for example, I install an aftermarket turbocharger on a car and the sunroof fails to close - they can't say "Oh you installed a turbo, you're on your own." Now if they can prove that the turbo somehow broke the sunroof, yeah your sunroof is no longer warrantied, but if you then go back and have a problem with your taillight and that has nothing to do with the turbo, that should still be covered.

That all said, each consumer needs to decide for themselves if they want to deal with the battle. Also, seek guidance from your attorney, I am not a lawyer, yadda yadda yadda.
This is exactly correct.

SciGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T quad, large pack, 20ATs; 2012 Acura TSX
Thanks Branden. After watching your YouTube videos I wanted to ask ala Daniel Mac, “hey Branden nice car, what do you do for a living?” Now I don’t have to ask. 😂

branden

First Name
Branden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EV charging deployment
Thanks Branden. After watching your YouTube videos I wanted to ask ala Daniel Mac, “hey Branden nice car, what do you do for a living?” Now I don’t have to ask. 😂
Except I've been out of the automotive industry for quite a few years now - I moved to the EV charging industry.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Except I've been out of the automotive industry for quite a few years now - I moved to the EV charging industry.
Why aren't there reasonably cheap L3 options for residential use yet? Seems like it's still a six figure ask for literally any hardware.

Would be great to have access to faster charging off-board at home for the occasions when it's needed. I had to skip driving my Livewire on a beautiful day once last year because I forgot to plug it in the day before and Harley only put a 1.4kW charger in it.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Hey we made adjustments to lower shipping costs - should be much better - anyone seeing crazy shipping charges please PM me!
noticed that over the weekend and took the plunge to order the RMaxx boards. just hope i get all the parts in my shipment 😳👍🤞

Sponsored

branden

First Name
Branden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EV charging deployment
Why aren't there reasonably cheap L3 options for residential use yet? Seems like it's still a six figure ask for literally any hardware.

Would be great to have access to faster charging off-board at home for the occasions when it's needed. I had to skip driving my Livewire on a beautiful day once last year because I forgot to plug it in the day before and Harley only put a 1.4kW charger in it.
The AC-DC hardware isn't cheap currently. You could do it for ~$15k, but it's not worthwhile for 99.99% of people.

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

This is exactly correct.
At the end of the day, any manufacturer can deny warranty coverage and blame you, the consumer. They don't have to prove anything to the consumer when they deny your warranty repair. If you want to pursue a remedy to what you believe is an incorrect denial of warranty by the manufacturer, then you'd have to be the one to hire an attorney willing to take the case. At that time the defense will need to either settle with you or fight the claim and prove why the modification contributed to an issue that caused them to deny the warranty coverage. It's not cheap to fight from the plaintiffs side. I've been through it.

Nevertheless thanks for posting the conversation on Twitter. Brings real insight into the true color of this company. They obviously don't understand the rights you have in the USA and good on you for not giving in to their bullying.

Edit: Just watched the video and it makes their entire interaction even more ridiculous! Everything was more than fair. Nothing said was out of line and for those looking for a lower cost running board I don't even think would be dissuaded.

Last edited:

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Ford F350 Diesel, Mercedes GLC30
Occupation
CTO
Hey we made adjustments to lower shipping costs - should be much better - anyone seeing crazy shipping charges please PM me!
Hey I PM'd you about 5 days ago never heard back.

OP
OP
Foobar

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
Hey guys, I don’t mean to be THAT guy but I’m sure EV Sportline has their own threads and support channels. Can we keep this on topic? Half this thread is seemingly EV Sportline related and I doubt they want to be associated with this hot mess.

Again, no offense meant here but just trying to keep this on topic.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.