Sponsored

3rd Row Design / Cargo Area Photos?

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
I think based on the floor mat design in the gear shop, the 3rd row is likely to have extremely limited legroom. I'm thinking those cutouts accommodate the mounts for the 2nd row, leaving about 1.3rd the legroom of the 2nd row.

Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 12.55.17 PM.png
Good find, thank you for posting this.

If the mats are designed, the seats must be. They really need to just give the info.
Sponsored

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

I think based on the floor mat design in the gear shop, the 3rd row is likely to have extremely limited legroom. I'm thinking those cutouts accommodate the mounts for the 2nd row, leaving about 1.3rd the legroom of the 2nd row.

Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 12.55.17 PM.png
Based on what I am seeing here and how the renders show the suitcases behind the 3rd row, I would say they sacrificed 3rd row leg room for more cargo space which is disappointing to say the least.
#'s and renders only do so much and I need to sit in it, but a quick video of 3rd row access (preferably with a car seat) and an adult entering would all but solidify whether it will work or not for our family.

wizard467

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (10/2022), Honda Ridgeline
Comparing the R1T's second row floor mats to the R1S's both look like the same size, but in the R1S animation we see that the seats look "set-back" at least 3-4 inches from where the chilewich mats are. Basically the animation has the seats with maximum middle row legroom (possibly more than the R1T) and minimal 3rd row room. Moving the seats 3-4 inches forward would split the difference and possibly give the 3rd row almost as much as the second row when the 2nd row is set back at the same distance as the R1T's 2nd row.

Looking at the “suitcase” animation it looks like there are 4 tracks (blue circled in the picture) under the second row of seats. The suitcase animation has the second row seats all the way back (maybe the only way the seats fold flat without the headrests hitting). Those tracks would extend backwards enough for the seats to be in this position which forces the mats to have the deep cutout that they have. If the seats are moved a few inches forward so the front of the seat lines up with where the chilewich floor mats are in the animation then there might be enough for both seats to have a person 6 foot?

Rivian R1T R1S 3rd Row Design / Cargo Area Photos? r1s_seating_xp61rr_slidingmiddle

Lil'Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE
Occupation
Product Support
That 3rd row floor mat looks similar to the one for the XC90. If it has similar space/leg room as the Volvo, it will be perfect for us.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Just got a response from Rivian to some of my questions. I am not sure how obvious they are or where they have been discussed before but I will share them anyway.

”Interior dimensions are exactly the same on 5 and 7 seat”. The only way I can see that can be true is the space used for 3rd row must be storage below the surface.

Plywood should fit (width wise). “The interior width at the smallest is 51 inch”. They didn’t answer my question if I can drive with back open.

They said they have no info about interior space difference between large and max pack for R1S.

“The third row seat backs fold flat to a 3 degree load angle”

I asked if the spare has limitations like donuts (max speed and distance) and also if I have a blow out off-road can I use it? They said no limitations. I really hope I see someone actually use it at highway speed long distance or off-road.

They said they put a ton of work on sending out the delivery windows and they are working a lot harder to make the rest happen by end of the year.

Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

It'll be interesting to see if you can actually get two adults in the 3rd row or its really small adults or children. hoping its the former and not a marking "trick" like a lot of other 3 row SUVs.

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
It'll be interesting to see if you can actually get two adults in the 3rd row or its really small adults or children. hoping its the former and not a marking "trick" like a lot of other 3 row SUVs.
I think you can get two smaller size adults back there and it would be tolerable for short hops with the second row slid forward a bit for some leg room. I imagine two average size adults won't be too comfortable even if physically doable.

GR

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
I have a 2021 Kia Telluride SX-P which has industry leading best 3rd row leg room for a "Midsize SUV". That includes your X5, Volvo XC-90, Ford Explorer, Mazda CX-9. Based on the pics I've seen of the R1S, don't think it will top Telluride.

Anyone know if you can put a car seat in R1S 3rd row? Does it have the car seat hooks/clamps?

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I have a 2021 Kia Telluride SX-P which has industry leading best 3rd row leg room for a "Midsize SUV". That includes your X5, Volvo XC-90, Ford Explorer, Mazda CX-9. Based on the pics I've seen of the R1S, don't think it will top Telluride.

Anyone know if you can put a car seat in R1S 3rd row? Does it have the car seat hooks/clamps?
According to the specs, the R1S has 32.8" of effective 3rd row legroom, the 2021 SX-P has 31.4"
So on paper the R1S will be better, but we all know how measuring for these things goes.

No LATCH in 3rd Row - https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...ints-for-child-seat-boosters-in-r1s-suv.1528/
Personally never put our car seats in the 3rd row because I hate getting back there when swapping things around, but I know this could be a problem for some.
Additionally some car seat manufacturers recommend using the seat belt rather than the LATCH system.

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
According to the specs, the R1S has 32.8" of effective 3rd row legroom, the 2021 SX-P has 31.4"
So on paper the R1S will be better, but we all know how measuring for these things goes.

No LATCH in 3rd Row - https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...ints-for-child-seat-boosters-in-r1s-suv.1528/
Personally never put our car seats in the 3rd row because I hate getting back there when swapping things around, but I know this could be a problem for some.
Additionally some car seat manufacturers recommend using the seat belt rather than the LATCH system.
That stinks. Was involved in an accident where the other person ran a red light and hit my Telluride back in July. They T-boned me and my 4yr old was luckily in 3rd row. Main damage was in 2nd row.

Also what is the cargo space with 3rd row up? Telluride, class leading 21.4 cubic ft. I read some where RS1 is 7s cu ft and then they use the trunk space as additional 6s cu ft. I'd figure it would be comparable because its so much longer than other midsize suvs.

Sponsored

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
That stinks. Was involved in an accident where the other person ran a red light and hit my Telluride back in July. They T-boned me and my 4yr old was luckily in 3rd row. Main damage was in 2nd row.

Also what is the cargo space with 3rd row up? Telluride, class leading 21.4 cubic ft. I read some where RS1 is 7s cu ft and then they use the trunk space as additional 6s cu ft. I'd figure it would be comparable because its so much longer than other midsize suvs.
I've been trying to find the cargo volume with all seats up. If it's really only 7, that's......criminal. Even my QX60 - which I can hardly fit a stroller in with the third row up (we always leave it down) - has nearly 15 ft3.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Officially, we know that the current design has the "rear storage bin" at 5.1 cu ft. As best I can tell, that's talking about the space under the floor where the spare tire would go. I can't imagine it's possible to have 5.1 cu ft. in that but only 7 cu ft in the space above it.

But there's also this forum post with information obtained from a Guide.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/r1s-cargo-capacity.927/

Interior cargo volume behind 3rd row (this information I have already seen published): 499 L = 17.6 ft^3
Interior cargo volume behind 2nd row (3rd row folded, this information was new to me): 1,323 L = 46.7 ft^3
Interior cargo volume behind 1st row (2nd and 3rd row folded): 2,499 L = 88.25 ft^3

Cargo floor length behind 3rd row: 21"
Cargo floor length behind 2nd row: 51"
Maximum cargo width behind 2nd and 2rd row: 51"
Maximum cargo width behind 1st row: 58"
Minimum cargo width: 42"
Those numbers are very close to the published 105 cu ft. (88.25 + 11.1 + 5.1 = 104.45).

Rivian R1T R1S 3rd Row Design / Cargo Area Photos? Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 3.49.12 PM

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I've been trying to find the cargo volume with all seats up. If it's really only 7, that's......criminal. Even my QX60 - which I can hardly fit a stroller in with the third row up (we always leave it down) - has nearly 15 ft3.
I prefer them to have more room in the 3rd row than cargo space but I can't believe 7 is at all correct. Look at their animation in the storage section here: https://rivian.com/r1s

My Navigator has 18cu/ft and there is no way a suitcase like that would fit so I would venture to say closer to 20cu/ft. I believe the 7 is in reference to the storage under the floor.
Looks like @Autolycus beat me to it with better information but I'll post anyways with another image.

Rivian R1T R1S 3rd Row Design / Cargo Area Photos? 1638392123906

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

It was reported to be around 17 cu ft plus the 11 in the drink so beating the Telluride in total. I do not see why Rivian cannot share both R1S and T interior dimensions (legroom, hip room, head room etc).

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility that the R1S will have a significantly more roomy 3rd row than most competitors due to not having to work around the gas tank in the same way that it will benefit in the second row from a lack of driveshaft/transmission hump.
Sponsored