Sponsored

Has any customer received at R1T yet?

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Just wondering if anyone knows if any customer has received their R1T? Only two days till the end of the month and the "first customer vehicle" rolled off the assembly line on 9/14.
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Just wondering if anyone knows if any customer has received their R1T? Only two days till the end of the month and the "first customer vehicle" rolled off the assembly line on 9/14.
Assuming you count the current/previous employees, yes.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Assuming you count the current/previous employees, yes.
I agree and why would you not, it needs to be reported as sales income…..

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
I agree that it is valid to count the people RJ highlighted, especially if they are no longer employees. Getting this level priority is just a special thank you for helping to get the company off the ground. But, their checks still cash and the money still goes into the Rivian coffers.

OP
OP
dleewla

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

No I don’t count those. Technically yes but practically no. Would they give unbiased opinions? Doubt it.

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
No I don’t count those. Technically yes but practically no. Would they give unbiased opinions? Doubt it.
Rivian didn't say the deliveries in September was going to be to customers that have no relationship to Rivian. A sale is a sale, as long as the truck was paid for and Rivian can count it as income.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
So if someone doesn’t have an unbiased opinion of a car they’ve bought, they don’t own it? Interesting ?

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Personally I wouldn't count Rivian employees since many of them are already driving Rivians all the time and they'll have a very different experience from non-Rivian employees (e.g. they're likely using dogfood/beta builds of software, any problems and they can literally ask the people responsible or report issues, can't speak about any tech publicly due to NDAs or fear of consequences, biased towards liking things they worked on or things made by friends/coworkers, etc.).

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
We are currently working with various governing agencies on the final approvals needed for us to make the first deliveries to preorder customers in September.
The above is quoted from RJ's August update. The way I see it......

When you first read the email, did you think September deliveries were only meant for employees, friends and family? If so, you may be right, but we still have a few days left in September.

Did you think it meant preorder customers, with paid deposits, that weren't employees? You'll probably be unhappy if there's no mention of deliveries to non-employee preorder holders, by end of day Thursday.

Or, were you not sure who the deliveries were meant for?
Then the email should have been more specific.

If it turns out the only deliveries Rivian makes in September, are to employees, I doubt anyone will ever know if they were actual preorder customers with deposits, or not. In the long run, it really makes no difference. If someone is determined to buy a Rivian, they will justify their purchase, whether they think the email was misleading, or not, and take whatever future actions Rivian chooses to make.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Personally I wouldn't count Rivian employees since many of them are already driving Rivians all the time and they'll have a very different experience from non-Rivian employees (e.g. they're likely using dogfood/beta builds of software, any problems and they can literally ask the people responsible or report issues, can't speak about any tech publicly due to NDAs or fear of consequences, biased towards liking things they worked on or things made by friends/coworkers, etc.).
Why are you conflating the sale of a vehicle with other non-material claims like insider bias and/or access to Rivian resources? They still sold the truck. The same warranty applies, the same return policy applies, the same truck capabilities (and fallacies) will be experienced. Besides, it's not that employee's job to provide you with an unbiased review of their purchase. Maybe they will feel inclined to share their truck with Doug DeMuro or something, but that's their call to make.

Working for Amazon doesn't get you Prime Yesterday shipping. Working for Apple doesn't get you a personal Genius who follows you around. Sure, there might be perks baked in but at the end of the day you are still paying money in exchange for those goods or services, just like anyone else.

Edit: And finally, regardless of who the first few customers are (past employees or no affiliation) you can expect Rivian to pay them special attention to make sure the rollout is smooth. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The above is quoted from RJ's August update. The way I see it......

When you first read the email, did you think September deliveries were only meant for employees, friends and family? If so, you may be right, but we still have a few days left in September.

Did you think it meant preorder customers, with paid deposits, that weren't employees? You'll probably be unhappy if there's no mention of deliveries to non-employee preorder holders, by end of day Thursday.

Or, were you not sure who the deliveries were meant for? Then the email should have been more specific.

If it turns out the only deliveries Rivian makes in September, are to employees, I doubt anyone will ever know if they were actual preorder customers with deposits, or not. In the long run, it really makes no difference. If someone is determined to buy a Rivian, they will justify their purchase, whether they think the email was misleading, or not, and take whatever future actions Rivian chooses to make.
Why presume that these early and now former employees did not place a deposit/preorder?

I don’t get free product from my company. And it’s ordered like any other customer. Sure, I can get it faster. But it ain’t free.

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
Why presume that these early and now former employees did not place a deposit/preorder?
I didn't presume anything, but I had no idea they were former employees. Can you provide where that information can be found, please? It still won't make any difference to what I originally wrote.

Please re-read. I only mentioned that I doubt anyone will ever know whether the employees (or former employees as you state) had a preorder, with a paid deposit. Best I recall, RJ said deliveries were being made to long time employees. Did he mention if they were paid preorder holders? You can justify your position, which is okay by me. I'm only stating what makes sense to me, but maybe not so much to you.

OP
OP
dleewla

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

So if someone doesn’t have an unbiased opinion of a car they’ve bought, they don’t own it? Interesting ?
If you worked for a company or previously worked for a company which then put you at the front of the line to get the product, you think you'd have an unbiased opinion? And yes I understand they paid for it like everyone else. Just saying might not be as neutral as ordinary joe.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If you worked for a company or previously worked for a company which then put you at the front of the line to get the product, you think you'd have an unbiased opinion? And yes I understand they paid for it like everyone else. Just saying might not be as neutral as ordinary joe.
No one paying their own money for something that is often an emotional purchase such as a car will have an unbiased opinion of it. It’s just not an objective process.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
In my experience, those that put down $1K right out of the gate and then another $75k+ to get the first LE are also not going to be unbiased.
Always get a kick out of new form members from any brand/product that join and then ask the current owners "should I buy one?" You might get a few outliers, but a resounding "Yes, you'll love it!" is the norm.
Sponsored