First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
why does it matter whether or not these first owners are biased/unbiased? They are just a consumer getting a product, not a journalist.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
In my experience, those that put down $1K right out of the gate and then another $75k+ to get the first LE are also not going to be unbiased.
Always get a kick out of new form members from any brand/product that join and then ask the current owners "should I buy one?" You might get a few outliers, but a resounding "Yes, you'll love it!" is the norm.
I agree if you really want an honest unbiased opinion you need to wait a couple of years when the honeymoon period is over and they lived with it awhile.

OP
OP
dleewla

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

No one paying their own money for something that is often an emotional purchase such as a car will have an unbiased opinion of it. It’s just not an objective process.
Yeah I get that, what I'm saying is just regular folk like us will likely have a more unbiased view than a former/current employee. And tbh, I think we'll have pretty good honest feedback since were plunking down $70-$90K. I'm sure most of us will be very happy but I'm also not going to hold back about what sucks since I spent so much money.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Yeah I get that, what I'm saying is just regular folk like us will likely have a more unbiased view than a former/current employee. And tbh, I think we'll have pretty good honest feedback since were plunking down $70-$90K. I'm sure most of us will be very happy but I'm also not going to hold back about what sucks since I spent so much money.
I’m spending $147,000 on this thing after sales tax and registration costs.
that’s going to make my glasses very rose coloured for quite a while.

OP
OP
dleewla

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Dang.... were gonna have to give reviews about what its like to live in a Rivian since we'll have to sell our homes to buy them.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
If you worked for a company or previously worked for a company which then put you at the front of the line to get the product, you think you'd have an unbiased opinion? And yes I understand they paid for it like everyone else. Just saying might not be as neutral as ordinary joe.
It's entirely possible that if you previously worked for a company that you wouldn't have a positive opinion kf said company...

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
You said your mother in law is near Sonoma, might be worth it for you to look into buying it there. Looks like a real PITA to get it imported but could save you 20-30k

I was reading through this

EVnewb

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna, Tesla MYP, R1T
Can you break that cost down for me? I’m really curious how it costs so much? My wife and I are thinking about moving to Canada sometime in the future and your costs are giving me sticker shock.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
It will be significant- the next milestone- when we see a walk-around video from a deposit holder turned owner with no employee relationship to Rivian or media credantials…

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Employee or otherwise, have we seen anyone say “Just took delivery of my new R1T” or something like that?

I know there was RJ’s tweet that some of Rivian’s earliest employees were now the earliest deliveries. I haven’t seen anyone actually take delivery.

Not trying to start a conspiracy theory, I just haven’t seen any person “confirm” they have taken delivery of the vehicle.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dang.... were gonna have to give reviews about what its like to live in a Rivian since we'll have to sell our homes to buy them.
why do you think I’m getting the camp kitchen?? ????

You said your mother in law is near Sonoma, might be worth it for you to look into buying it there. Looks like a real PITA to get it imported but could save you 20-30k

I was reading through this
I’m painfully familiar with the RIV process etc. Ask me about a customs broker missing one checkbox on my form 1.
it is a million percent not worth it to import a new vehicle from the states, unless the dollar is at par. even then it’s just a costly pain in the ass.
And sometimes vehicles end up being cheaper here than there. It all depends on the exchange rate.

My configuration is $130,375 CAD before taxes, registration, silly tire recycling fee Manitoba charges, etc. it is too expensive to qualify for the small federal EV rebate, and the “fuck you I got mine“ party provincial government got rid of any incentives there might have been on a more local level. So no help there.

the same configuration in the US is $97375, or $123,605CAD rounded to the nearest dollar.
That makes it 6750 loonies cheaper comparing MSRP.
But then consider at least $3-4000 for enclosed shipping from there to here(in reality if doing such a thing I’d drive it because road trip, but since the vehicle will be delivered to my door on the big day anyway, that must be considered).
Customs brokerage fees. RIV inspection. Having to get through provincial safety inspection because it came from out of province -which is straightforward but still costs $2-300. Sales tax would be based on the Canadian MSRP, not the price paid in the US.

So in the end it’s kind of a wash, and way less convenient.

Can you break that cost down for me? I’m really curious how it costs so much? My wife and I are thinking about moving to Canada sometime in the future and your costs are giving me sticker shock.
Consider that in Canada, depending on the exchange rate, your USD will have 20-30% more buying power. Anecdote: When I go to the grocery store in the US, everything is about the same price, but in US dollars! So it is more expensive for me.

Also when you say you’re thinking of moving to Canada, which part are you talkimg about? It’s a big country with huge regional differences in cost of living, some greatly affected by remoteness.

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
"A special night with some of Rivian's earliest employees and now earliest deliveries! Some of these families have been helping build our company for over 11 years. Thanks for all the hard work and dedication." @RJScaringe
Apparently I missed reading an article somewhere. The above quote says nothing about these folks being former employees, or paid preorder holders. I doubt we'll ever know, but it appears they did receive a delivery.

If these employees were gifted these vehicles, as far as being unbiased, would most people be, if they were given something free? The saying "Look (Lick) a Gift Horse in the Mouth", may apply.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Apparently I missed reading an article somewhere. The above quote says nothing about these folks being former employees, or paid preorder holders. I doubt we'll ever know, but it appears they did receive a delivery.

If these employees were gifted these vehicles, as far as being unbiased, would most people be, if they were given something free? The saying "Look (Lick) a Gift Horse in the Mouth", may apply.
If you look at the names of the people in that group picture(tagged in a couple social media posts), some of them are current employees. Some are not. Some are family of employees. There is no missed article.

Being an employee or former employee and having a paid preorder is almost certainly not mutually exclusive.

eg I have a relative who is in product planning at GM. He didn’t get a free copy of the last truck he worked on. If he wants one he has to order it. Gets a discount of course. May get in line sooner. But pays for it just as anyone else does. Even has to go through a dealership ?

but yes, if I can get in line earlier and at a discount, as employee number 6, or by being RJ Scaringe senior(and therefore another very early shareholder/investor) or whatever…definitely not licking that gift horse in the mouth

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
If you worked for a company or previously worked for a company which then put you at the front of the line to get the product, you think you'd have an unbiased opinion? And yes I understand they paid for it like everyone else. Just saying might not be as neutral as ordinary joe.
I work for a company you've heard of that makes products you've heard of.

I preorder them at the same time as the general public - even though I've interacted with the product before anyone knew it existed in my capacity as an employee.

Whether or not my opinion is biased, I still own the product and the company still sold it to me...

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
If you look at the names of the people in that group picture(tagged in a couple social media posts), some of them are current employees. Some are not. Some are family of employees. There is no missed article.

Being an employee or former employee and having a paid preorder is almost certainly not mutually exclusive.
I only read the tweet......I'm not concerned with who is in the picture, whether they are current, former employees, friends, or family. I'm not concerned if they are forum members. The only thing that matters, is whether some meet the condition laid out for us, in RJ's August update. That condition is: deliveries to preorder holders in September.

No one, that I'm aware of, has access to knowing who all received a Rivian, in the photo. No one, that I'm aware of, knows whether any, some, or all, of the people in the photo are preorder holders.

When RJ tweeted, about the vehicles being delivered to some of the earliest employees, it could have been worded that "the vehicles are being delivered to some of the earliest preorder holders, that are either current employees, past employees, friends, or family members, that have helped build our company." He chose to leave it vague and did not clarify. This has been typical of their communication.

I have no problem with you justifying, that at least two people mentioned above were preorder holders, which is a requirement for his August update to be true. Some will be skeptical. It is easy for Rivian to clarify their position, but so far they haven't. I doubt they will and you will probably continue to believe that at least two in the photo have preorders. That's not an unreasonable position. It's just not the same position that I take, being his statement was not clarified. You give Rivian the benefit of the doubt, whereas I need proof.

To me, what I think matters most is the way we individually interpreted RJ's August update, when we first read it. This is only an opinion on my part. I am not fond in the way Rivian communicates and wonder if their pattern will persist. People sometimes communicate without fully explaining, thinking the reader should know what they know. Perhaps this is what Rivian does. Maybe I should know all, or some of the people in the photo had paid deposits for a preorder.......but, I don't.

Then again, there is still one more day to clarify their statements, or perhaps deliveries will begin......or silence.
Sponsored