Has any customer received at R1T yet?

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I'm a bit confused. Did Rivian actually say "pre-order customer deliveries" or just "customer deliveries" would take place in September?
Or is the whole "They're not a customer unless they went thru the pre-order process" just a forum thing?
Sponsored

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
I'm perfectly fine with employees that paid money for these vehicles to get them first.

1. As an employee, they may well have gotten first dibs at putting in a pre-order, it's not totally uncommon (though, I wish mine would do this sometimes), and is a great perk (on top of, what I assume, would be an employee discount).
  2. Even if they didn't get in their preorders before anyone else, the fact they could deliver to someone, literally, as it rolled off the line, no trucks or SC's needed, so.. yeah... them getting their deliveries before people in Seattle or LA... doesn't shock me.
  3. Deliveries are not going to be a one-off affair. They will need to have enough trucks built and queued for a given area to warrant a shipment to an area. If they are smart, they will be using trains to send a large order (not a tractor trailer that can only move 10-20... maybe less since they weigh so much) which would be several dozen trucks.
  4. They are close to the product line, design and engineering team, if shit breaks or production issues pop up, I'd much rather it be Bob or Jenny that work there and can drive it into work and show off the issue BEFORE mine rolls off the line.

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
I'm a bit confused. Did Rivian actually say "pre-order customer deliveries" or just "customer deliveries" would take place in September?
Or is the whole "They're not a customer unless they went thru the pre-order process" just a forum thing?
Below is quoted from RJ's August update:

We are currently working with various governing agencies on the final approvals needed for us to make the first deliveries to preorder customers in September.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

In my experience, those that put down $1K right out of the gate and then another $75k+ to get the first LE are also not going to be unbiased.
Always get a kick out of new form members from any brand/product that join and then ask the current owners "should I buy one?" You might get a few outliers, but a resounding "Yes, you'll love it!" is the norm.
100% and same when people ask "if they put a preorder down now, when would they get the vehicle?" I've had a preorder in since mid '19 and I don't even know haha

brianmartin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Camaro 2.0t
my take...if you are expecting to hear about a customer getting a truck in their driveway tomorrow who isn't a Rivian employee, i think that isn't going to happen.

Sponsored

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
my take...if you are expecting to hear about a customer getting a truck in their driveway tomorrow who isn't a Rivian employee, i think that isn't going to happen.
Pretty much. Hopefully October is when some non-employees/friends of employees get delivery.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
No one paying their own money for something that is often an emotional purchase such as a car will have an unbiased opinion of it. It’s just not an objective process.
Fair point that makes me feel like less of a nerd.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
there could also be agency certification delays, nothing in the governments are moving fast right now since they can / do blame Covid19 stuff.

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Communication has been horrible. As a (pretty) early preorder holder of an R1S in Canada....it's anyone's guess if I'll even get mine before fall of 2022. They claim (as recently as this weekend via CS email) that R1S deliveries to Canada are still on track for November.

But seeing as almost no one* in the US even has an R1T delivered and we are now 1 month and 1 day from November. There is virtually no chance of R1S deliveries let alone Canadian deliveries happening this year.

If they just came out and say there was a delay and here is the new eta. That would be a step forward. But this reminds me of the July deliveries that were officially announced as delayed....in June I think?

* Depending on definition of delivery
I very much doubt there are going to be any deliveries in Canada (even R1T) for quite a while. They have no retail buildings aside from a rented office for software development. They still haven't hired a retail/regional/operations manager and most of the positions seem to be for software development. There is zero mention at all for Rivian at Transport Canada so they still haven't been approved for sale here. At least in the U.S they have job listings for Vehicle Detailer etc... which means they are somewhat close. I think we are in for a long wait

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I very much doubt there are going to be any deliveries in Canada (even R1T) for quite a while. They have no retail buildings aside from a rented office for software development. They still haven't hired a retail/regional/operations manager and most of the positions seem to be for software development. There is zero mention at all for Rivian at Transport Canada so they still haven't been approved for sale here. At least in the U.S they have job listings for Vehicle Detailer etc... which means they are somewhat close. I think we are in for a long wait
It will be January before they even start talking about deliveries here, maybe a sprinkling of LE ones at the end of this year. But they’re not starting Canadian demo events until the first part of next year

Still not listed with transport Canada as authorized to apply the safety mark, but that process also only takes about six weeks(I have some experience with that fun process…)

my guess is they will have a service centre in Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, and maybe Calgary near the beginning.
Sponsored