First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
Thanks. Is there report of stripping the bolts without it?
Yes, a few. You want to hold the wrench square to the bolt and apply constant pressure at all time.
Sponsored

OP
OP
EV Sportline

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, R2 res, Tesla S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Upgrading Electric Vehicles
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S Introducing RMaxx Running Boards & Rock Sliders for Rivian R1T / R1S from Team 1EV IMG_9703 (1)

Now this is a thing a beauty! DESIGNED and MADE IN THE USA!

Beautiful aerodynamic design top, side, and bottom - no range impact! Indestructible rock slider (try your best, it wont flinch), full width running board / step, no loss in ground clearance, full replacement of plastic panels with steel armor plate (bolt-on / easily removed), removeable step plates, no branding 'logos' on the product since everyone hates those, no mods to vehicle (fully reversible), easy DIY install (actually easier that Running Boards too), retained jack puck usage (ie Rivian dealer's lifts work without removing anything), jack your Rivian up in the middle of the side - or anywhere you like on this rock slider....I promised you all, good great things coming to those who have waited! Expect a price increase once we are caught up from backorders too 😉

Thanks again to all our loyal customers! #RivianNation

aconfusedazn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
IMG_9703 (1).jpg

Beautiful aerodynamic design top, side, and bottom - no range impact! Indestructible rock slider (try your best, it wont flinch), full width running board / step, no loss in ground clearance, full replacement of plastic panels with steel armor plate (bolt-on / easily removed), removeable step plates, no branding 'logos' on the product since everyone hates those, no mods to vehicle (fully reversible), easy DIY install (actually easier that Running Boards too), retained jack puck usage (ie Rivian dealer's lifts work without removing anything), jack your Rivian up in the middle of the side - or anywhere you like on this rock slider....I promised you all, good great things coming to those who have waited! Expect a price increase once we are caught up from backorders too 😉

Beautiful. Can’t wait to receive mine.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
These look great. Can't wait to finally get them on my truck. Thanks for the update!

ButchSF

First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, VW e-Golf
IMG_9703 (1).jpg

I am really liking the design change armoring up the original plastic cover areas! ♥

Sponsored

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Just a suggestion if future package could include a similar extra bolt that we may strip when trying to remove during installation?

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
IMG_9703 (1).jpg

Very nice. Can't wait to get these on my truck!

909phillyman

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian r1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

IMG_9703 (1).jpg

These sliders look phenomenal!!! Great job Team 1EV!!! Any guesstimate as to when you'll have the R1S sliders ready for shipping? Since I'll be taking delivery of my R1S sooner than expected, I'm hoping to get these sliders installed as soon as I take delivery!

Sponsored

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
IMG_9703 (1).jpg

Rivian R1T R1S Introducing RMaxx Running Boards & Rock Sliders for Rivian R1T / R1S from Team 1EV giphy

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Thought I would share my solution to cover the 4” holes. More effort than Gorilla tape but worth the extra effort.

Material links: ABS plastic sheets and Automotive Trim Tape (16’ needed)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BGC7NMS7?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PYW4XYS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Templates for Driver and Passenger side are slightly different. A Sharpie marker and kitchen scissors work well. I used a pot of boiling water to heat the ABS cover and form the slight radius to match the R1T panel. Then dunk in cold water while holding formed radius.

Clean covers and truck panels with alcohol before applying tape. Follow directions that come with the tape for temperature and cure time. The tape is super sticky.

I doubt the hole covers will ever come loose but my backup plan is to use small pop rivets and black touch up paint if they do.

Enjoy

IMG_8668.jpg

IMG_8663.jpg

IMG_8661.jpg

IMG_8670.jpg

IMG_8677.jpg

IMG_8674.jpg

Prepping using this!

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Finally got my boards installed today! I have some photos, and information about the 4" grommets. (TLDR: they won't work!)

First, some finished photos!

70155879214__72E39B11-5E4B-4110-9B1F-79B5689B13A0.JPG

70155880281__912F3722-EFD3-426A-9313-A54A9F41491F.JPG

Some notes on the install process

I went with the 4" hole method. I actually recommend that, even though (as I'll show below) I couldn't use the 4" grommets I bought.

I bought this cheap hole saw kit off Amazon, because I needed a new arbor for the kit I had anyway. The whole kit was cheaper than just a 4" hole saw without the arbor at Lowe's.

The hole saw was fine for the weird plastic of the panels, but it turns out the arbor's center bit wasn't adjustable. I fixed this by pre-drilling a 1/4" pilot hole (I think, I forget what size I drilled) for the center. I then used a piece of wooden dowel in place of the center bit, which worked perfectly.

IMG_1879.JPG

Note that the panels have structural ribs running through them. Rather than cutting all the way through, I just snapped off the hole. The also ensured I didn't accidentally scratch up the frame with the hole saw.

IMG_1876.JPG

IMG_1875.JPG

Big note about the templates: Make sure you pay attention. Four of them align with an edge, four of them need to be offset by a specific distance.

Luckily for me, I did buy the grommets. They work fine for filling in the mistake hole. Note that I had to clean up the saw edge and cut back the ribs to get the grommet to seat nicely.

IMG_1882.JPG

Removing the TP55 Bolts

This was really the hardest part of the install for me. You really need either a breaker bar, or a heavy-duty impact driver. I didn't have either (just a normal-duty impact driver), so I had to run out 3 times. Once to get the bar, and twice to get the right 7/16" adapter to hold the TP55 bit. It was very physical work (especially on your back).

Once the bolts were out, I installed the brackets. This is when it became clear the grommets were not going to work. The brackets do not sit inside the body panels as I thought they would. You can see in the photo below, the U-shape in the bracket sticks out past the hole about 1/4" or so, and butts up against the 4" hole.

I did try to shape one of the grommets with scissors, but I don't think it's worth the cost or effort. I'm going to save mine in case I sell the truck and want to keep the rails and plug up the 4" holes. I think they work well for that.

I might try to find some of the tape mentioned earlier on this thread to cover the exposed holes up. I don't mind the look, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to cut down the amount of water or dirt getting in there, and also to help with the aerodynamics some.

IMG_1886.JPG

Finally, here's a photo of the running board installed from below. You can see my mistake hole, but at least the grommet worked here.

I couldn't push them all the way in like I wanted. I'm not sure if the TP55 bolts were the issue, or just trying to get all 8 side bolts and 4 TP55 bolts to align, but I was hurting pretty bad by the end, so I just tightened everything up and called it good.

IMG_1889.JPG

Final Thoughts

I don't think this is a very easy install for your "average" person. If you aren't already used to DIY kind of projects, you'll probably have a hard time with this. Not only did it require a fair number of tools, it also requires a lot of figuring out, since there's no instructions (just the templates I had to print myself, and the online video that doesn't really cover most of the tricky parts).

I did do the install myself, though, so it might be easier with help. It took me several hours, but I lost a lot of time trying to get the TP55 bolts out. I think optimally, one person could do this in about 2 hours. Realistically, since this would be your first time, 3-4 hours is a better estimate.

I'm glad I got them. They make getting in-and-out on off-road/highest easy for me, and make getting in-and-out much easier for my 5' 1" wife in general. They also look sharp, and make it easier to reach the roof and even help a little getting into the back of the bed without opening the gear tunnel.

I still recommend the 4" hole method, since I don't see how cutting slots would work at all. And I don't see the point in removing the panels now that I've seen them installed.

(Also, I got a T20 bit in the bag, but I have no idea what it was for. The steps used an allen-key hex bit.)
nice work. can you give us more info on the grommets? id like to buy some.

Phwalker

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 2020 Subaru Ascent, 2019 GMC 3500 HD
Occupation
Retired
Prepping using this!
Let us know how yours turn out. Mine are holding perfectly. Doubt they will ever come loose. Big advantage of this method is that slight variations in hole cutting don’t matter since the ABS cover is wide enough. I saw this as a real issue with the slot method.
Sponsored