First Name
Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model3 Dual motor
Occupation
Healthcare
I'm wondering if Rivian has thought of a way to mitigate rusty/seizing brakes.

Regen is both a blessing for efficiency and a curse for brakes, especially in winter with snow, salt, heated garage and short driving distances. On my model 3 it's bad... on my Nissan Leaf, it is a nightmare...

VW with the ID4 stole my idea (ok... they had the same idea) and put drum brakes in the rear, which are supposed to be sealed and maintenance free.

This won't be the case with Rivian as we can see disc at each corners. Maybe Rivian could have the truck apply brakes periodically while still providing power to all wheels, or apply brakes instead of regen on the firsts few stops?

What do you think?
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

Regen is both a blessing for efficiency and a curse for brakes, especially in winter with snow, salt, heated garage and short driving distances. On my model 3 it's bad... on my Nissan Leaf, it is a nightmare...

VW with the ID4 stole my idea (ok... they had the same idea) and put drum brakes in the rear, which are supposed to be sealed and maintenance free.

This won't be the case with Rivian as we can see disc at each corners. Maybe Rivian could have the truck apply brakes periodically while still providing power to all wheels, or apply brakes instead of regen on the firsts few stops?

What do you think?
Interesting, I never had to deal with that in sunny SoCal, never even thought about it as an issue.

I also think I may drive faster as I still use my brakes a little when I stop, I rarely (read never) drive slow enough for the car to stop on its own even with max regen enabled.

I also have creep mode enabled so it requires me to use the brake at lights to hold it in place.

OP
OP

Drterreur

First Name
Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model3 Dual motor
Occupation
Healthcare
Me... litterally 2 minutes ago...

Honey, I'll be back in two minutes, I just need to put the car on creep mode. No, don't stop the movie, it will be quick.

Thanks, I forgot about creep mode. I doubt it will correct everything, but this should certainly help.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Wouldn’t the old “Italian tune up” solve the problem? Go on a back road and accelerate then brake hard. Repeat a few times.

This is how I’ve always broken-in new rotors+pads. Seems like braking hard would work to clean up the pads on an EV, too.

OP
OP

Drterreur

First Name
Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model3 Dual motor
Occupation
Healthcare
Wouldn’t the old “Italian tune up” solve the problem? Go on a back road and accelerate then brake hard. Repeat a few times.
Yes, but instead of me taking time to go out of my way to do it safely every day or so, I hope there is a way to do it 2.0.

Sponsored

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9

What do you think?
Truck's a giant battery with it's own air compressor. Why can't it have a tool for high pressure washing/drying that runs from the truck itself?

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

With regen on my Volt-like ELR, no matter how much I try to use regen for all my braking needs, I'm sure every trip results in some friction of the pads actually clamping down on the rotors. I think it likely happens at every stop sign or red light. Consequently, rust has never been an issue. Is the concern here something other than the lack of pad-to-disk contact preventing a buildup of rust on the rotors?

OP
OP

Drterreur

First Name
Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model3 Dual motor
Occupation
Healthcare
Truck's a giant battery with it's own air compressor. Why can't it have a tool for high pressure washing/drying that runs from the truck itself?
Forget the pressure washer!

"I asked for sharks with freekin laser beams!" Dr Evil

OP
OP

Drterreur

First Name
Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model3 Dual motor
Occupation
Healthcare
Is the concern here something other than the lack of pad-to-disk contact preventing a buildup of rust on the rotors?
Yes. Especially with evs with very strong regen that doesn't require much braking. Again, it applies to countries like Canada, not to California.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Yes. Especially with evs with very strong regen that doesn't require much braking. Again, it applies to countries like Canada, not to California.
Youch! That would suck! We're fortunate we don't have salted roads around here (the Pacific Northwest). Instead, we have gravel and sand that allow us to get up to 5,000 between windshield repairs/replacement. Pick your poison, I guess.

I'm happy being on the low-sodium pavement diet we have here.

Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
It'd be easy enough to write software to clean the brakes by minimally using them as needed. My 2007 Z4M does this by drying the brakes when it senses rain by gently applying them to heat them up - the driver doesn't even notice.

Reed

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tacoma, March/24 Reservation for R2
Occupation
Retired
I'm just to the north of DuckTruck, in British Columbia. We are definitely not on a low sodium diet!

We basically will dump anything and everything on the roads. Ya, there's probably a kitchen sink or two out there as the snow melts away. But, mostly it's just sand and salt.

The result shows on my truck; rust in the panels over all four wheels.

Needless to say, I read this thread with a great deal of interest. Thanks to all those who contributed. Some very good information here.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
With regen on my Volt-like ELR, no matter how much I try to use regen for all my braking needs, I'm sure every trip results in some friction of the pads actually clamping down on the rotors. I think it likely happens at every stop sign or red light. Consequently, rust has never been an issue. Is the concern here something other than the lack of pad-to-disk contact preventing a buildup of rust on the rotors?
And on my Bolt the regen is disabled in reverse, so every time I back up I still use the brakes. Of course, living in the Arizona desert, nothing rusts.

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I'm just to the north of DuckTruck, in British Columbia. We are definitely not on a low sodium diet!

We basically will dump anything and everything on the roads. Ya, there's probably a kitchen sink or two out there as the snow melts away. But, mostly it's just sand and salt.

The result shows on my truck; rust in the panels over all four wheels.

Needless to say, I read this thread with a great deal of interest. Thanks to all those who contributed. Some very good information here.
It's crazy because cars are mostly rust free here in WA state. Vancity isn't THAT much snowier than Seattle. Moss on the other hand...

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Interesting, I never had to deal with that in sunny SoCal, never even thought about it as an issue.

I also think I may drive faster as I still use my brakes a little when I stop, I rarely (read never) drive slow enough for the car to stop on its own even with max regen enabled.

I also have creep mode enabled so it requires me to use the brake at lights to hold it in place.
I use creep too for safety
Sponsored