DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

On my 2015 Tesla, it seems to me that regen is only activated by feathering off of the accelerator pedal, and applying the brake pedal directly controls the friction brakes and has no additional effect on regen. I keep mine in crawl mode, which means I do use the brakes to come to a final complete stop. The only time I have issues with rust on the discs is when the car sits for a long time without being driven. I’ll notice a bit of “grind” the first time I apply the brake after it sits for several days, but after that it’s fine. I’m hopeful that Rivian will have a creep mode as well.
Greg,

I have much the same experience with my ELR. if it sits, which it does all winter, even inside, any rust on the rotors disappears after the first few applications of the friction brakes. Three other cars with disc brakes also lightly rust over in very short order. Again, it's gone in just a few miles of use. Granted, my cars aren't subjected to the terrible mixture of crud many folks are talking about here, but with our wet weather, rotor rust starts to accrue very quickly.
Sponsored