Sponsored

Who is Buying This Vehicle?

Silver9k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19' CX-5 D, 16' Mazda3, 07 S2000
I'm honestly hoping for a little sooner than that, maybe place the order this time next year, for a Summer 2022 delivery?

Either way, it's not a dire situation. My X only has 16K miles at the moment.
I didn’t place my order until early Feb this year, I’m assuming a Summer 2022 delivery on the early end.
Sponsored

R1S Maineiac

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo CX90 Recharge PHEV
Occupation
Medically retired 8/27/21
I didn’t place my order until early Feb this year, I’m assuming a Summer 2022 delivery on the early end.

That's about what I'm expecting. In a long-term, strategic view, I'm hoping the rumored IPO gives them the influx of capital they need to build out production capacity.

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

My comments where not directed at any single person or meant as an attack.

Thanks for the explanation I was looking for smiesguy!
All good! I'm guilty too! All the M stuff is spill over from the Tesla forum.

And I am fat and lazy, just not a thief!:CWL:

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Is anyone considering buying this vehicle as a daily driver? There are lots of offroad capable SUV's out there that are typically used for daily commutes, carpools, etc. Does this vehicle fit that category?
... If you are a reservation holder, did you commit to Rivian because of the offroad capabilities? Conversely, do you plan to use this in a mostly urban, daily driver scenario?
I wrote a long response and deleted most of it. Long story short, it's a pretty short decision tree:
  1. Do you want an EV?
  2. Do you want substantial hauling/off-road utility?
  3. (Do you care if it's manufactured by a cartoon supervillain and looks like a Snyder batmobile reject?)

If Yes to all of the above, there's not much out there today except Rivian. (There will be soon, though most of the other entries are pretty garish, but Rivian's ethos won me over.)

I plan to use it as a daily driver as well as for extensive gear hauling and outdoor adventures (camping/kayaking/motorbiking/overlanding/etc.).

Edit: Might be worth elaborating on the "garish" point a bit, since some of those are coming out this year too (Hummer). Some people want a car people notice; I don't. My least favorite thing about my Model 3 was that I got it early enough that people commented on it all the time. I love that Model 3s and Ys are so common as to be unremarkable now.

Cars like the Cybertruck, Hummer, and even Model X (gull-wing) are so obnoxious as to be out of the question to me. I don't want a statement car - I want a car that's thoughtfully designed, performant, and elegant, but not ostentatious. To me, Rivian strikes a great balance of capability without being in your face about it.

Last edited:

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
First EV. Just replaced roof and looking into solar and/or battery backup.

Daily driver (20 miles each way in NE cold weather), but will use it for hauling crushed stone, filler, dirt, pallets of stone, 4x4’s etc... I do a lot of home projects. Background in tech but raised in construction (plumbing electric)
Part of me worries about messing up the nicest truck I’ve ever owned but I’m going to live life.
Also take the family camping or on vacations to the Outer Banks, NC annually plus off-roading on the Jersey Shore.

I am a bit surprised how excited my family is for the R1T. My son (8) won’t stop taking about it and my wife has started asking when we are getting it.

#GoPhillies

Sponsored

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
I'm an off road guy, but my R1S will be my daily driver and definitely see some light off road duty (camping/adventuring etc.), but my Jeeps will still serve for anything beyond moderate off roading.

This will be my first EV, but I've come close to buying a Tesla in the past. For me, Rivian checks all the boxes. I love the quad motor design and the performance it should bring on & off road; very precise traction control off road & torque vectoring on road. Additionally, the air & hydraulic active damping suspension combo should allow for great comfort when desired & top notch handling as well.

As a gearhead, father of 3, & tech nerd, I'm a huge Rivian fan because it satisfies all of those.
Wow, are you me?

I don’t anticipate doing much off-roading (plan to buy a RZR or two for that) but I do want to be able to hit some easy trails. I wish it could tow more, but I have nothing to tow at the moment so having a bigger vehicle for towing makes little sense.

I’m also hoping my order isn’t ready to be finalized until the end of 2022, mostly because I want to have more cash up-front. Lately I’ve been so frustrated with my Expedition, though, that I want it NOW. I was praying someone would crash into it this past winter so I could get something decent with the insurance payout, but I wasn’t lucky enough. Perhaps this winter.

McRat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, MXLR+, 2xVolts, MC's
Occupation
Tinkerer
I owned a Jaguar I-Pace that I loved. But it ran into an issue they could not fix, and did a buy-back.
I replaced it with a Tesla MX.

The Tesla is not up to modern standards when it comes to most amenities. No foot gesture, no coat hooks, no full cellular integration, no HUD, no regen at high SOC, high sound levels at highway speeds, cheap seats, no 110/120v support (even our gas 2016 CT6 has this), no rear media support, the list is enormous. It's a 1990's car with an EV traction motor.

The Audi lacks performance.

So I'm on the list for the R1T, CyberTruck, and GMC Hummer EV.

OP
OP

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
I owned a Jaguar I-Pace that I loved. But it ran into an issue they could not fix, and did a buy-back.
I replaced it with a Tesla MX.

The Tesla is not up to modern standards when it comes to most amenities. No foot gesture, no coat hooks, no full cellular integration, no HUD, no regen at high SOC, high sound levels at highway speeds, cheap seats, no 110/120v support (even our gas 2016 CT6 has this), no rear media support, the list is enormous. It's a 1990's car with an EV traction motor.

The Audi lacks performance.

So I'm on the list for the R1T, CyberTruck, and GMC Hummer EV.
I had MX P100D. Performance amazing. I loved the seats, but agree with most of the shortcomings you pointed out. I am on the list for a new one, but also an R1S. I'd love the R1T, but would have to convince my wife I need that kind of vehicle...

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
FSD and no wait for an exclusive fast-charger network are the only pros for a model X that I can think of.

OP
OP

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
OK, now I’d like to get thoughts on the R1T. I have never owned a flatbed, but I’ve always wanted one. This one looks compelling. How many of those out there getting an R1T currently own a flatbed? Do use it to go to the grocery store, pick up the kids and drive to work every day? Or, do you have an every day car and use your truck for special circumstances?

If you are considering the R1T and do not own a flatbed, what is compelling you to look at this one?

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
OK, now I’d like to get thoughts on the R1T. I have never owned a flatbed, but I’ve always wanted one. This one looks compelling. How many of those out there getting an R1T currently own a flatbed? Do use it to go to the grocery store, pick up the kids and drive to work every day? Or, do you have an every day car and use your truck for special circumstances?

If you are considering the R1T and do not own a flatbed, what is compelling you to look at this one?
I'm confused by your post... The R1T is not a flatbed.

I have owned trucks that were my daily driver. I think it's an excellent form factor, and quite practical for daily use.

The R1T will be even more practical, imo, with the factory power tonneau cover (Adventure package) and the carpeted Frunk -- excellent for your grocery bags.

If you need a FLATBED, then the R1T is most likely not going to meet your needs, however. For what it's worth, THIS is a flatbed... Notice it has no sides or tailgate. It's a strictly utilitarian design. I've never seen a consumer model sold with such a feature. Canoo, an EV startup, may be the first to bring that option to consumers.

Rivian R1T R1S Who is Buying This Vehicle? ford-250-truck1

OP
OP

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
I'm confused by your post... The R1T is not a flatbed.

I have owned trucks that were my daily driver. I think it's an excellent form factor, and quite practical for daily use.

The R1T will be even more practical, imo, with the factory power tonneau cover (Adventure package) and the carpeted Frunk -- excellent for your grocery bags.

If you need a FLATBED, then the R1T is most likely not going to meet your needs, however. For what it's worth, THIS is a flatbed... Notice it has no sides or tailgate. It's a strictly utilitarian design. I've never seen a consumer model sold with such a feature. Canoo, an EV startup, may be the first to bring that option to consumers.

ford-250-truck1.jpg
I don't know what the heck I am talking about. By "flatbed", I really meant a pickup truck. Is it obvious that I have never owned one - I don't even know the correct terminology!

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer

The frunk is going to be really nice, giving you the security of a car with the ability to haul big things in the back. The R1T should be easy to maneuver and park compared to something like the F-150. Personally I am currently using our SUV like a truck more than I am using the 7th row seating.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management

This will be both my first fully BEV and "pickup" truck. While the utility of a truck will come in handy often I rarely need a truck. To minimize the number of vehicles I keep on the road I've always gotten by with a car/ crossover/ suv because an inefficient truck as a daily driver was less practical.
I Preordered the R1T because (in no particular order) it has plenty of utility for me, insane performance, relatively inexpensive to operate, does not contain an ICE engine, is at an attainable price point, I'm a sucker for the adventure vehicle marketing.
Since preordering I've been pleasantly surprised by interior refinement, DC fast charging network, warranty and customer service.
I think the combo of price, performance, luxury of the R1T/S is unmatched by any other option, ICE or BEV, available now or in the near term.

OP
OP

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
This will be both my first fully BEV and "pickup" truck. While the utility of a truck will come in handy often I rarely need a truck. To minimize the number of vehicles I keep on the road I've always gotten by with a car/ crossover/ suv because an inefficient truck as a daily driver was less practical.
I Preordered the R1T because (in no particular order) it has plenty of utility for me, insane performance, relatively inexpensive to operate, does not contain an ICE engine, is at an attainable price point, I'm a sucker for the adventure vehicle marketing.
Since preordering I've been pleasantly surprised by interior refinement, DC fast charging network, warranty and customer service.
I think the combo of price, performance, luxury of the R1T/S is unmatched by any other option, ICE or BEV, available now or in the near term.
This thread is literally grass roots marketing for Rivian!
Sponsored