Sponsored

Who is Buying This Vehicle?

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I didn’t place my order until early Feb this year, I’m assuming a Summer 2022 delivery on the early end.
That might be conservative. They're already prepping for the international market and are ramping up fast. The rate of production capacity growth will keep growing until they're maxed out and they seem very ambitious.
Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
This will be both my first fully BEV and "pickup" truck. While the utility of a truck will come in handy often I rarely need a truck. To minimize the number of vehicles I keep on the road I've always gotten by with a car/ crossover/ suv because an inefficient truck as a daily driver was less practical.
I Preordered the R1T because (in no particular order) it has plenty of utility for me, insane performance, relatively inexpensive to operate, does not contain an ICE engine, is at an attainable price point, I'm a sucker for the adventure vehicle marketing.
Since preordering I've been pleasantly surprised by interior refinement, DC fast charging network, warranty and customer service.
I think the combo of price, performance, luxury of the R1T/S is unmatched by any other option, ICE or BEV, available now or in the near term.
This sounds exactly like my reasoning for wanting an R1T. Except I haven't been able to pull the trigger yet. I'm hoping to be able to buy one before the tax rebate expires.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
This thread is literally grass roots marketing for Rivian!
I assure you I'm not on Rivians payroll. I agree I should be though... If only I was an influencer a post like that would be like at least a years salary right?

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I've been sitting on my 20 year old 4runner waiting for something genuinely better to replace it (I know more modern cars are safer, which is a big plus, but most features beyond that haven't been enticing enough to get me to upgrade). I'm not one to buy luxury vehicles, I've never owned a car less than 10 years old, but said I would support whoever made an ev with decent off-road performance. I spend a lot of time in the mountains and reducing my impact is one of my top priorities in a replacement vehicle. So here we are.

rickydsc

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Honda Clarity Touring
Occupation
Retired
I have been with Tesla since 2012 and am currently considering moving to Rivian for a few reasons. I just sold my Tesla Model X in anticipation of upgrading to the newest version. But, there have been tons of delays with zero communication from Tesla, which has prompted me to start looking at the competitors.

The first thing I really want to answer is whether or not this car is for me? Based on Rivian's marketing materials and website content, it appears that the R1S is being built for those seeking offroad adventures.... Is anyone considering buying this vehicle as a daily driver? There are lots of offroad capable SUV's out there that are typically used for daily commutes, carpools, etc. Does this vehicle fit that category?

I put a deposit down and don't mind waiting until January, but without having an opportunity to drive (let alone see) an R1S, it's hard for me to determine if this vehicle makes sense for me. If you are a reservation holder, did you commit to Rivian because of the offroad capabilities? Conversely, do you plan to use this in a mostly urban, daily driver scenario?

Seems like a silly line of questions, but I am still trying to wrap my head around whether or not this vehicle is for me. I have owned either a Tesla Model S or X for years and love the performance and handling of a Tesla. Among other potential upsides, an R1S is significantly cheaper than the Model X I am currently considering.
We are a one-car family and will be replacing our Honda Clarity, hopefully with the R1S, assuming we can get our hands on one!! We put our deposit down in February, so we'll see if it's a realistic possibility. Most of our driving is on road. We do occasional road trips and visit state and national parks with our bikes, so some off-road capability will be a welcome addition, not to mention carrying capacity.

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I've been sitting on my 20 year old 4runner waiting for something genuinely better to replace it (I know more modern cars are safer, which is a big plus, but most features beyond that haven't been enticing enough to get me to upgrade). I'm not one to buy luxury vehicles, I've never owned a car less than 10 years old, but said I would support whoever made an ev with decent off-road performance. I spend a lot of time in the mountains and reducing my impact is one of my top priorities in a replacement vehicle. So here we are.
I'm in this boat. My SALTY Discovery 2 is turning 21 this year and I'm over the $75 dino-blood fillups every 300 miles. If I can deal with Salty getting 300 miles to the tank, I think I'll be fine with Pepper (did I just name my R1T?) getting 300 miles to the charge.
Bicycle/motorcycle commute for me so no change there. The wife's once a week 100 mile round-trip commute will probably get replaced with Pepper. (One positive change from covid, telework is more accepted now) If so, we can become a one car household. #couplegoals
Mountain-bound twice a month, more in winter for Stevens Pass skiing. That's my longest round trip at 270 miles. Level 2 charger will keep me happy on the hills.
Biannual trips to Montana, 550 miles each way, hopefully can manage in just two 30 minute stops for food, beer, bathroom, etc. Load the bikes in the back, camping gear in frunk or gear tunnel. Plenty of room for pupperoni in back now!
I've always wanted a pickup, I'm over the trunk cleanup and high lifts into the Rover. Also over vehicle maintenance. I considered Tacoma, but viewing Total Cost of Ownership over 5 and 10 years, R1T is on par. Sometimes you gotta #treatyoself

2021R1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P3D
R1T daily driver. I bought a P3D in September of 2018 and put a deposit on the R1T January 5, 2019. I’ll trade or sell the Tesla. The wait has been too long.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Occupation
health care
Its stories like these that help me stomach the idea of buying a first vehicle from a new manufacturer.

Tesla is the benchmark in the BEV world today and it really seems like the build quality is becoming an issue so the risk differential is mitigated.

I watched the video with Elon and Sandy Munro where he states early in production run or end of production for a model is your best bet for quality. It's the strain of getting to scale where the errors occur.
It's the strain of getting to scale where the errors occur.-------It is more than that. Outright design errors from the getgo exist with Tesla vehicles. The panel gaps? Much related to what has just been stated. Heat pumps failing? Lack of sufficient testing. Rattles and poor construction have nothing to do with ramping up production.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
R1T daily driver. I bought a P3D in September of 2018 and put a deposit on the R1T January 5, 2019. I’ll trade or sell the Tesla. The wait has been too long.
Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your early reservation and in Colorado too with early charging buildout , I'm a bit jealous.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
I like how this is a discussion people usually have about the choices and tradeoffs we've always made when choosing an ICE vehicle. We're now blessed with the having multiple EV options in the mix and all the performance and capability options therein.

I came very close to being an early adopter of both the Telsa S and X but they never seemed to fulfill the role I needed. I live where there is winter and have to drive to a home on a dirt road in mud season and the Teslas seemed less prepared for that role than a Jeep or similar. Rivian seems to easily to fit the role with the bonus of on road performance and ride capabilities and sufficient range.

...and based on the data here about my place in line I should have one of the first vehicles in the wild. I'm willing to be the guinea pig for a vehicle that perfectly matches my needs...

Sponsored

AlohaR1TR1S

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor/F150
I have been with Tesla since 2012 and am currently considering moving to Rivian for a few reasons. I just sold my Tesla Model X in anticipation of upgrading to the newest version. But, there have been tons of delays with zero communication from Tesla, which has prompted me to start looking at the competitors.

The first thing I really want to answer is whether or not this car is for me? Based on Rivian's marketing materials and website content, it appears that the R1S is being built for those seeking offroad adventures.... Is anyone considering buying this vehicle as a daily driver? There are lots of offroad capable SUV's out there that are typically used for daily commutes, carpools, etc. Does this vehicle fit that category?

I put a deposit down and don't mind waiting until January, but without having an opportunity to drive (let alone see) an R1S, it's hard for me to determine if this vehicle makes sense for me. If you are a reservation holder, did you commit to Rivian because of the offroad capabilities? Conversely, do you plan to use this in a mostly urban, daily driver scenario?

Seems like a silly line of questions, but I am still trying to wrap my head around whether or not this vehicle is for me. I have owned either a Tesla Model S or X for years and love the performance and handling of a Tesla. Among other potential upsides, an R1S is significantly cheaper than the Model X I am currently considering.

I will be using my R1T and R1S here over in Hawaii.. replacing my Raptor and 2 Jeeps. Plenty of daily offroading is being done on my end for work & play here on the Island to justify a Rivian and am looking forward putting both through their paces as my cars here aren't mall parking lot bricks. Both will be daily's.

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
I have ordered an R1S. I am currently driving a Tesla M3P. I love that car. The tech, the speed and the fact that its battery. I want a true SUV and the Model Y is not that nor is the Model X. Love Audi's but their pricing is not a value for me. Plus I'm not happy with their range estimates. So Rivian presents the first real opportunity to get into a SUV. Plus for me, I love the retro look of the vehicle.

AlohaR1TR1S

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor/F150
I have ordered an R1S. I am currently driving a Tesla M3P. I love that car. The tech, the speed and the fact that its battery. I want a true SUV and the Model Y is not that nor is the Model X. Love Audi's but their pricing is not a value for me. Plus I'm not happy with their range estimates. So Rivian presents the first real opportunity to get into a SUV. Plus for me, I love the retro look of the vehicle.
If you want an EV SUV .. may want to look into the Benz EQS SUV that will launch after the EQS sedan. As it stands today, Wife & I are going to buy the EQS for our EV sedan needs and Rivian for Pickup/SUV needs due to our off-road needs in Hawaii & OR. We will take a look at the EQS SUV once more info is available.

OP
OP

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
This may be the wrong thread to ask this question, but here goes: has anyone heard anything about test driving? When I called, they are blaming the lack of access to test drive to Covid, which we all know is a reasonable attempt to make the real reason you can’t test drive someone opaque.

In any case, I am still contemplating keeping my model X reservation or keeping my Rivian reservation and going with that. Will be much easier to have a clear mind on this decision if I can at least see, touch, feel or even drive a Rivian.

Has anyone been in touch with anyone at Rivian about a timeline to test drive? My understanding it was supposed to be sometime in June?

Thanks.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
This may be the wrong thread to ask this question, but here goes: has anyone heard anything about test driving? When I called, they are blaming the lack of access to test drive to Covid, which we all know is a reasonable attempt to make the real reason you can’t test drive someone opaque.

In any case, I am still contemplating keeping my model X reservation or keeping my Rivian reservation and going with that. Will be much easier to have a clear mind on this decision if I can at least see, touch, feel or even drive a Rivian.

Has anyone been in touch with anyone at Rivian about a timeline to test drive? My understanding it was supposed to be sometime in June?

Thanks.
Yes but we've all been sworn to secrecy..... ?

... but seriously, no. You haven't missed any announcement about test drives.

Rivian has not shared any concrete information beyond an intent to offer test drives. If you have a reservation, you will be notified of such news. It will also be on their FAQ page and most likely will be featured on their Stories page. And it for sure will get its own thread and massive discussion here so stay tuned.
Sponsored