timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I'm planning on the R1S as a replacement for a Model X. I don't plan to off road with it (currently have it configured with 22" wheels), and don't need 7 seats but will take them to get the Launch Edition. I've come close to buying a Mach-E and an e-tron, but neither seemed like as good a fit for me as the R1S. Only the R1S delivers performance and range on par or in excess of what Tesla offers, in a true truck-like SUV reminiscent of the old Mercury Mountaineers I had for 6 years.
Sponsored

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
Mostly I just think the truck is cool.

There’s more of course. I feel like I’m on the younger side of people on this forum (no wife/kids), and the R1T will absolutely be a “toy” for recreational purposes, while also serving as a daily driver. I’m now in a financial position to spend a little extra on a new vehicle if it will help lead to a more sustainable future and increase the availability of BEVs. I want to convert to a BEV. But most BEVs on the market seem to only work for 80% to 90% of my driving uses. I have access to mountain and ranch property that requires some light off-roading. I’m also not sold on taking a Model Y or 3 into the woods. The R1T would give me a daily driver that I could also use on bad roads and in bad winter weather. I don’t have to compromise the (occasional?) need for a truck/SUV when purchasing a BEV.

Maybe it would be cheaper/more efficient for me to buy a Chevy Bolt for the weekday urban driving and a used ICE truck for the outdoor weekends. Ultimately, the truck is just something I want and think is cool. I feel like I am the exact demographic Rivian is targeting with their marketing.
I tried the car/truck combo for a while. The extra insurance, maintenance, and parking isn’t worth the hassle unless you are really into cars.

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

I have been with Tesla since 2012 and am currently considering moving to Rivian for a few reasons. I just sold my Tesla Model X in anticipation of upgrading to the newest version. But, there have been tons of delays with zero communication from Tesla, which has prompted me to start looking at the competitors.

The first thing I really want to answer is whether or not this car is for me? Based on Rivian's marketing materials and website content, it appears that the R1S is being built for those seeking offroad adventures.... Is anyone considering buying this vehicle as a daily driver? There are lots of offroad capable SUV's out there that are typically used for daily commutes, carpools, etc. Does this vehicle fit that category?

I put a deposit down and don't mind waiting until January, but without having an opportunity to drive (let alone see) an R1S, it's hard for me to determine if this vehicle makes sense for me. If you are a reservation holder, did you commit to Rivian because of the offroad capabilities? Conversely, do you plan to use this in a mostly urban, daily driver scenario?

Seems like a silly line of questions, but I am still trying to wrap my head around whether or not this vehicle is for me. I have owned either a Tesla Model S or X for years and love the performance and handling of a Tesla. Among other potential upsides, an R1S is significantly cheaper than the Model X I am currently considering.
I had a 2015 MS and moved to the 2017 MX (put my daughter in the M3). I, however, have always been a truck guy.

I couldn't be more excited about the R1T. It will replace my MX and become my daily driver. I'm also excited to get back off-road again (it's been a few years), but in an EV.

I'm waiting for the larger battery because I like the flexibility that comes with it - specifically, more charging options just because of the range.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I tried the car/truck combo for a while. The extra insurance, maintenance, and parking isn’t worth the hassle unless you are really into cars.
Now car/Jeep combo? Yaaasss, now you're on to something.

Or just go Rivian & don't look back. Just don't try to do any crazy Jeep things in it.

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
I agree on keeping your Tesla. My story is a bit odd. I had a P100D Model X from just before they upgraded the MCU. Loved the car, but computer was slow and buggy and I had wifi connection issues. I nagged them to upgrade it for me and they wouldn't (despite the fact that the part was on recall for thousands of customers).

So, I did the math and realized I could get a brand new Model X with the upgraded MCU for a ton less money, as the price dropped by tens of thousands of dollars since I bought mine in 2018 (another kick on the rocks courtesy of Elon). So, I started to plan to sell mine and then caught wind of the "refreshed" version that was imminent. That news was icing on the cake. I sold my Model X, expecting the refresh to come out within 2 months. Three months later and not a single Model X has been produced with zero explanation. No communication on the reason for the delay and no reasonable timeline.

At this point, since I don't have my Tesla any more, with no idea when I could possibly get the Model X, I may as well look at all options. Rivian looks like a different vehicle than the X by a lot, but it appears to check all my boxes as well (as someone above put it). And, a lot cheaper. So, here I am. Waiting....
Its stories like these that help me stomach the idea of buying a first vehicle from a new manufacturer.

Tesla is the benchmark in the BEV world today and it really seems like the build quality is becoming an issue so the risk differential is mitigated.

I watched the video with Elon and Sandy Munro where he states early in production run or end of production for a model is your best bet for quality. It's the strain of getting to scale where the errors occur.

Sponsored

OP
OP

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Its stories like these that help me stomach the idea of buying a first vehicle from a new manufacturer.

Tesla is the benchmark in the BEV world today and it really seems like the build quality is becoming an issue so the risk differential is mitigated.

I watched the video with Elon and Sandy Munro where he states early in production run or end of production for a model is your best bet for quality. It's the strain of getting to scale where the errors occur.
One thing I forgot to mention above is that the price went way up after the refresh was announced. I was told by a service advisor that if a refresh occurs, I would be “grandfathered in“. Turns out, that was not the case. I sold my vehicle and I’m looking at a substantial price increase over what I was expecting to pay.

It’s been a bad experience.

That said, my overall experience with driving a Tesla has been fantastic. Not much comes close to it in my opinion. Hopefully that will change with Rivian…

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

*SIDE TRACK ALERT*
Why do a lot of Tesla owners try to steal a well-known model name from BMW? M3 in the vernacular is a BMW. Is the word model too long to write? Or even just drop the M. I'd think most people would know what you mean if you said S, 3, X, or Y, without the word model in front.

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

*SIDE TRACK ALERT*
Why do a lot of Tesla owners try to steal a well-known model name from BMW? M3 in the vernacular is a BMW. Is the word model too long to write? Or even just drop the M. I'd think most people would know what you mean if you said S, 3, X, or Y, without the word model in front.
So you're identifying me as a thief and lazy? That's no way to make friends!:like:

My apologies if I offended your vehicle sensibilities...

smiesguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S / Escalade
Occupation
Planner
*SIDE TRACK ALERT*
Guilty! For me its a carryover to how the models are referenced on the Tesla boards. M3P in my case for model 3 performance. M3LR for Long Range, etc. I see your point though with the BMW M3.

Silver9k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19' CX-5 D, 16' Mazda3, 07 S2000
Another R1T pre-order here, though I have considered the S several times. Like several of the others here this is sort of a one size fits all vehicle for me. It checks 95% of what I want in a vehicle, and I'm pretty sure 100% is not possible! I wan't an efficient daily driver, that is also fun to drive (quick/responsive), comfortable for the family for longer drives, very capable off-road and in inclement conditions, with ability to tow 7-8k lbs, "autopilot", and ability to handle lumber runs for occasional woodworking.

The Rivian does all that (assuming on comfort and responsiveness), and more. Being EV, maintenance should be less, plus the more up-scale interior and all the features (gear tunnel, trunk, great sound system, quiet, etc) are great. For me it'll be replacing my 16' Mazda 3 daily driver that got shifted to me after we bought my wife the CX5 diesel, and replacing the 11' Xterra. The Mazda is perfectly fine/efficient for the 2-3 times a week back and forth to work (was same pre-covid), the Xterra being a pro-4x is pretty decent off-road...haven't got it stuck yet...also not trying to do things I don't think it could, it can tow decently, and is actually great for lumber since the front passenger seat can fold flat forward making 10ft boards fit with ease. For comfort now we just take the CX5. For fun to drive I'm just left with the S2000, but that is a track car, so not exactly the same...will be nice to get back down to 3 vehicles

Sponsored

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'll be selling my Model 3 once my R1T LE shows up. I don't really need a four door sedan and prefer the functionality of a pick up truck that I can DD and also haul things like dirt bikes, etc.

I've been in hybrids or electric cars for 10 years (two Volts, BMW X5 hybrid, VW e-Golf and now the Model 3) and really excited about the combination of a pick up and EV. I had a Ridgeline and many performance cars along the way and I think the R1T is going to check a lot of boxes for me.

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

So you're identifying me as a thief and lazy? That's no way to make friends!:like:

My apologies if I offended your vehicle sensibilities...
My comments where not directed at any single person or meant as an attack.

Thanks for the explanation I was looking for smiesguy!

Guilty! For me its a carryover to how the models are referenced on the Tesla boards. M3P in my case for model 3 performance. M3LR for Long Range, etc. I see your point though with the BMW M3.

R1S Maineiac

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo CX90 Recharge PHEV
Occupation
Medically retired 8/27/21
I have been lurking for a while, and then decided today to put in my pre-order. I'll defer when my number is called the first time, though, because I want the Max Pack.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I have been lurking for a while, and then decided today to put in my pre-order. I'll defer when my number is called the first time, though, because I want the Max Pack.
Congrats, I'm assuming you want R1S with max pack. I'm hoping they will have that option ready to go by the time your order is ready to finalize, which may be late 2022.

R1S Maineiac

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo CX90 Recharge PHEV
Occupation
Medically retired 8/27/21
Congrats, I'm assuming you want R1S with max pack. I'm hoping they will have that option ready to go by the time your order is ready to finalize, which may be late 2022.

I'm honestly hoping for a little sooner than that, maybe place the order this time next year, for a Summer 2022 delivery?

Either way, it's not a dire situation. My X only has 16K miles at the moment.
Sponsored