Alignment woes

AYAYRON

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
I searched but did not find alignment as a topic yet.

I feel like there's a decent amount of trucks where the wheel's to the left and it pulls aggressively to the right.

I received my truck 9/15 so it's in the 11,000 range of production, and I experience the same problems.

The service center has been very upbeat about trying to fix it, however, after 4 appointments it's still not correct, the truck finally drives straight for the first time, but the wheel's still off to the left, and if I hold the wheel straight (which is doesn't naturally sit straight) then it drives off to the right.

I think it's well documented that more than a few trucks have this issue, and I'm wondering if anyone has intimate knowledge of whether Rivian is working on
1: improving the alignment specs so the techs can perform the alignment properly
2: improving tech education on how to do the alignmnet
3: calibrating the alignment rack to ensure perfect alignment
4: perhaps checking to ensure the wheel being straight prior to the alignment process beginning is actually a straight wheel (for example if their machine says the wheel's straight but it's not, then all alignments will not be correct)
Sponsored

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

I searched but did not find alignment as a topic yet.

I feel like there's a decent amount of trucks where the wheel's to the left and it pulls aggressively to the right.

I received my truck 9/15 so it's in the 11,000 range of production, and I experience the same problems.

The service center has been very upbeat about trying to fix it, however, after 4 appointments it's still not correct, the truck finally drives straight for the first time, but the wheel's still off to the left, and if I hold the wheel straight (which is doesn't naturally sit straight) then it drives off to the right.

I think it's well documented that more than a few trucks have this issue, and I'm wondering if anyone has intimate knowledge of whether Rivian is working on
1: improving the alignment specs so the techs can perform the alignment properly
2: improving tech education on how to do the alignmnet
3: calibrating the alignment rack to ensure perfect alignment
4: perhaps checking to ensure the wheel being straight prior to the alignment process beginning is actually a straight wheel (for example if their machine says the wheel's straight but it's not, then all alignments will not be correct)
Someone has posted the Rivian alignment specs on the forums. Find those, and take your truck to an independent performance shop and get a professional alignment. A few have went this route and have experienced better results than what service centers are delivering.

I'm the same boat as you, though. 2 service center visits, truck still pulls right. Not worrying about it, as Rivian is replacing my R1T due to other mechanical and cosmetic issues.

OP
OP

AYAYRON

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
Someone has posted the Rivian alignment specs on the forums. Find those, and take your truck to an independent performance shop and get a professional alignment. A few have went this route and have experienced better results than what service centers are delivering.

I'm the same boat as you, though. 2 service center visits, truck still pulls right. Not worrying about it, as Rivian is replacing my R1T due to other mechanical and cosmetic issues.
Damn a whole new truck huh...anyone taking bets that your truck will become a fleet vehicle and or loaner.

Thanks, I did search for Alignment but there are 30+ pages of results, and on the first page about 25 threads none of which say alignment so I was unable to find it, I'll search alignment specs instead.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

Damn a whole new truck huh...anyone taking bets that your truck will become a fleet vehicle and or loaner.
That, or Rivian may choose to resell it, or send to auction for a profit. As soon as the trade is done, I'll post the VIN for transparency.

I'm also searching for those alignment specs as well; good to have on hand.

OP
OP

AYAYRON

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
That, or Rivian may choose to resell it, or send to auction for a profit. As soon as the trade is done, I'll post the VIN for transparency.

I'm also searching for those alignment specs as well; good to have on hand.

I found this on another thread, but I don't know if this is what you recall seeing as well?

Rivian R1T R1S Alignment woes rivian alignment specs

Sponsored

sherold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S3, VW Atlas
What is your configuration? I ask because tire choice can make a big difference in the road feeling and steering tracking. Coming from a '98 Ram diesel 2500 4X4 with 35" AT, a 2002 Avalanche with 33" AT, a '16 Audi S3 with low profile summer performance tires, and now to the R1T with 34" AT, I can say that a truck with larger off-road treaded tires will track with the road much differently than a normal passenger car tire or low profile performance tire.

If I am on a narrow two-lane road, especially one that has been worn, the R1T will usually track to the right, sometimes aggressively, and also follow dips/bumps in a less controlled manner than my car. On the highway, it is not near as pronounced and depending on lane choice almost non-existent.

Try crossing over to the left lane on a side/rural road with no other traffic approaching and see what effect the crown of the road has on your steering input. Might be a way to help gauge how bad things really are.

Are you noticing any abnormal tire wear?

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
How can they possibly let a brand new vehicle out the door without the alignment being spot on.

OP
OP

AYAYRON

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
How can they possibly let a brand new vehicle out the door without the alignment being spot on.
My guess is hundreds or more need alignments fixed, and to answer your question with the obvious, they allowed every single vehicle to leave with incorrectly torqued nut on the upper control arm..........so "it happens"

OP
OP

AYAYRON

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
What is your configuration? I ask because tire choice can make a big difference in the road feeling and steering tracking. Coming from a '98 Ram diesel 2500 4X4 with 35" AT, a 2002 Avalanche with 33" AT, a '16 Audi S3 with low profile summer performance tires, and now to the R1T with 34" AT, I can say that a truck with larger off-road treaded tires will track with the road much differently than a normal passenger car tire or low profile performance tire.

If I am on a narrow two-lane road, especially one that has been worn, the R1T will usually track to the right, sometimes aggressively, and also follow dips/bumps in a less controlled manner than my car. On the highway, it is not near as pronounced and depending on lane choice almost non-existent.

Try crossing over to the left lane on a side/rural road with no other traffic approaching and see what effect the crown of the road has on your steering input. Might be a way to help gauge how bad things really are.

Are you noticing any abnormal tire wear?
22inch wheels / road tires.

the problem is obvious regardless of road, if you're going slow or fast, the problem persists.

Also it should be noted, Rivian whole heartedly agreed with me each time I brought it back, that it's not driving straight and they WANT to fix it.

After the 4th attempt it finally no longer attempts to exit the highway from the left lane (assuming 4 lanes... it would pull you from the farthest left lane to the exit in 3 seconds at highway speed on a perfectly level concrete highway to give you an idea how bad it was) but....the wheel off center persists, which indicates the wheel was not straight when they performed the alignment.

It has absolutely nothing to do with road crowning, and I understand why EVERY single person says this when they're trying to help, but at the same time its aggravating to hear that constantly when I myself am very thorough about trouble shooting and we're operating at a high level of understanding and "road crowning" is like a pre-school level advisement for someone who literally does zero trouble shooting when encountering a problem and just assumes "it's broke"

They have had my vehicle in for alignment since it had under 1000 miles, it currently has 4000 miles, and it's been noted should a tire prematurely wear out they'll replace it under warranty

Sponsored

OP
OP

AYAYRON

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
Not good for their reputation.

focusing on the fact that they want to fix it, and are not dismissing it as a "customer opinion" actually makes it seem like a good thing, sure it would be nice if it just was correct, but all companies producing vehicles have problems, and some of those companies like Tesla, are known for telling the customer NO, where Rivian is saying "let us try to fix it again we won't stop until it's fixed"

canikony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Tesla Model Y Performance
focusing on the fact that they want to fix it, and are not dismissing it as a "customer opinion" actually makes it seem like a good thing, sure it would be nice if it just was correct, but all companies producing vehicles have problems, and some of those companies like Tesla, are known for telling the customer NO, where Rivian is saying "let us try to fix it again we won't stop until it's fixed"
I believe in the beginning Tesla was also very good about making things right. Clearly they have gone the complete opposite direction now.

I wouldn't bank on Rivian maintaining this level of support either TBH. It's just the nature of the game. They have so few vehicles out there that they can and need to offer this kind of support. I hope I'm wrong but if Rivian really ramps up and delivers hundreds of thousands of vehicles, it's only a matter of time before their service starts slipping.

OP
OP

AYAYRON

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
I believe in the beginning Tesla was also very good about making things right. Clearly they have gone the complete opposite direction now.

I wouldn't bank on Rivian maintaining this level of support either TBH. It's just the nature of the game. They have so few vehicles out there that they can and need to offer this kind of support. I hope I'm wrong but if Rivian really ramps up and delivers hundreds of thousands of vehicles, it's only a matter of time before their service starts slipping.

Tough call, but, if they also improve consistency during the ramp up period which probably won't explode until the new factory is built it'll just gradually ramp up, then maybe then end up to a point where they're reliable like Toyota for example or Lexus and therefore they don't need such a heavily staffed service department.

Here's hoping for the best.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Rivian finally fixed my alignment after my last service appointment. So it is possible.
Sponsored