Installing wall charger outside vs inside

AdamUCF

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
June 2022 R1T
My single car garage is small and filled with junk. There really isn't much wall space to put a charger. Does it make sense to just put the charger outside? My truck will be parked outside since it won't fit in the garage.
Sponsored

chrismc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
I installed mine outside and park/charge in my driveway. My garage is filled with tools and bikes and kayaks and other outside toys.

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
It’s rated for outdoor use but as a fellow cfl guy I do whatever I can to keep stuff indoors or at least covered. Sun, humidity, water, bugs, etc. I’ve seen some unprotected outdoor chargers and after a year they look like they’re ready to die. I’d at least try and build a cover for it to keep out some sun and sideways rain

OP
OP
AdamUCF

AdamUCF

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
June 2022 R1T
It’s rated for outdoor use but as a fellow cfl guy I do whatever I can to keep stuff indoors or at least covered. Sun, humidity, water, bugs, etc. I’ve seen some unprotected outdoor chargers and after a year they look like they’re ready to die. I’d at least try and build a cover for it to keep out some sun and sideways rain
Really good point. Maybe I'll get a canvas cover (like a small grill cover or something) to put over it when it's not in use. I imagine leaving it on when used could be a fire hazard.

Iatros786

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, 997 Turbo, Q7
Clubs

Also a central Florida guy here... I had my previous charger outside. Planted some nice taller hedges in front to give shade and provide some shielding. Leave enough room for air to circulate of course.

It's held up very well like that. It's on the side of the house that doesn't get blasted by the sun all day however.

If you're really concerned, you could always install a small awning above it as well. There's a ton if you google "door awning" to fit your taste/style

Rivian R1T R1S Installing wall charger outside vs inside Screenshot_20220619-225808_Chrome

Sponsored

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

I have a 3 car garage with enough room to park a Civic and a Fit (yes, Honda fanboy). My new R1T won't fit in because it is just a few inches too long. I'll be installing my charger on the east side of my garage, which will eventually get a concrete pad and a carport.

OP
OP
AdamUCF

AdamUCF

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
June 2022 R1T
Why not install the charger in the garage and run the cord under the garage door outside?
Not really any room on the wall for it. I could make room if I really needed to but it would seem to make more sense just to put it outside, hence this thread. No one has given a super compelling reason as to why it really should be installed inside.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

If your mounting point has a view of the road, I've heard stories of people finding other random EV drivers plugged in and charging when they get home from work or a vacation, etc.

Sponsored

Voronbrg

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Everything
mine is outside the garage, if you look at the rivian evse it appears to have a hood already.

Rivian R1T R1S Installing wall charger outside vs inside PXL_20220323_233416319

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I have both my (Tesla and J1772) EVSE's mounted inside my front porch... I just don't care to expose them to rain, snow, ice, blazing sun heat and UV rays that break down almost any material over time.

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
mine is outside the garage, if you look at the rivian evse it appears to have a hood already.

PXL_20220323_233416319.jpg
Hmmm interesting. The installation guide says outdoor installation must use the conduit knockout on the bottom, not the back….

Rivian R1T R1S Installing wall charger outside vs inside 50169366-C4CD-448C-983B-2170845F7B23

chrismc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
Why not install the charger in the garage and run the cord under the garage door outside?
It is a really fat cord, if you close your door on it you’re not going to have a good bottom seal and you’d have to adjust the closing tension so it doesn’t roll back up like it does when you squish a small child.

chrismc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
Here’s mine, next to the garage door under the deck. Not in the photo- a security camera right over the garage.

Rivian R1T R1S Installing wall charger outside vs inside CA77B35B-BC0F-4F32-A6BB-8370FD889A9F
Sponsored