Sponsored

Owners: What are your biggest gripes so far?

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Porsche GT4, and a bunch of bikes
Clubs

Just catching up on this thread.
On my first mile drive I noticed right away that the wireless charging didn't work at all. That could possibly be addressed with software later but here's why I don't car. Given that the R1T doesn't have CarPlay, I know I'm going to want to have a phone mount that holds my iPhone in viewable position as I do today with my Gladiator (Even though that has CarPlay). So now I just need to find the right phone mount. Never really been a fan of wireless charging anyway.

As for storage issues people have ... The aftermarket has solved this for my Range Rover and my Gladiator over the years. Soon I'm sure someone will come up with an insert for the center console that allows for better organization. (Similar to this one https://amzn.to/3qHrzS5)

Overall the things that concern me the most are the panel alignment and fitment issues.
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

It's mainly because of the inductive charger. They don't want it to inadvertently wipe your credit card. I put my wallet there sometimes and it's fine.
My phone case is my wallet and I leave it on an inductive charger every night. That said I have never gotten the R1T charger to actually charge my phone with the case on, iPhone 13 Pro. I did confirm that it works though with my Air Pods case.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Surprising about Alexa not supporting Apple Music. Seems to support Pandora and other music services. Is this an explicit omission?

On CarPlay, I hope whoever at Rivian told Jason Cammisa it's coming was right.
Carplay missing is for sure a gripe. I'm actually impressed with the audio over bluetooth, the navigation works well but the maps are OLD. For example:

Rivian R1T R1S Owners: What are your biggest gripes so far? D6E44B94-8F4D-4C58-827B-0778056645C6

My neighborhood is in that forest, lived here over a year and some of the houses are 2+ years old. So I assume these maps are 3+ years old.

Also regarding sunglasses, mine fit nicely here:

Rivian R1T R1S Owners: What are your biggest gripes so far? 2FB6A1CF-C73F-4409-8CF6-F4F0469B4CFF

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

As mentioned elsewhere their floor mats don't fully cover the carpet.

PXL_20220323_234631287.jpg
I don't have my mats yet but I knew this was going to be an issue after I saw them in LA. Stuff is just going to collect around under these mats but that is common on some high end aftermarket mats too in my experience.

Maybe the aftermarket will come with something better eventually but likely not before 2023.

OP
OP

Voronbrg

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Everything
Carplay missing is for sure a gripe. I'm actually impressed with the audio over bluetooth, the navigation works well but the maps are OLD. For example:

D6E44B94-8F4D-4C58-827B-0778056645C6.jpeg

My neighborhood is in that forest, lived here over a year and some of the houses are 2+ years old. So I assume these maps are 3+ years old.

2FB6A1CF-C73F-4409-8CF6-F4F0469B4CFF.jpeg
The maps are spotty for me too, in my area they aren't old just the locations of stuff that has moved a year ago have not been updated.

It would be nice to see a export option from google maps to the car.

That spot works, but I have my garage clickers there. 2 on that spot and 1 more inside the armrest.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

The maps are spotty for me too, in my area they aren't old just the locations of stuff that has moved a year ago have not been updated.

It would be nice to see a export option from google maps to the car.

That spot works, but I have my garage clickers there. 2 on that spot and 1 more inside the armrest.
My clicker is in the storage under the drivers seat, still working on a place for that.

My EV6, shop and home gym are currently taking up space for my R1T in my 3 car garage. When I start parking in the garage that will become more important. Hopefully we have homelink by then.

Nermal

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Miata, 2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Q5
While I haven‘t re-scoured this thread, it appears most prevalent complaints are personal article storage and software controls. In unbearable anticipation of Thursday delivery, I’m thrilled that’s the case.

I haven’t see where anyone has called out what I’d refer to as “platform“ complaints e.g. motors, airsprings, roll control, brakes, battery (aside from range and charging real world observations).

Seat height, back seat and wireless charging observations will be tough to correct for those it’s not working well for - sorry for that. I think I’ll be good with seating and didn’t expect much from wireless charging as it sucked in my Tacoma despite my initial enthusiasm about it. I did love the Taco’s overhead console sunglass holder, though? I feel I’ll figure out a suitable sunglasses option in the R1T even if it takes an add-on but, yeah, maybe something that could have gotten a smidge more attention from Rivian. I guess it wasn’t that sunny during ”Long Way Up”?

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning

D6E44B94-8F4D-4C58-827B-0778056645C6.jpeg

2FB6A1CF-C73F-4409-8CF6-F4F0469B4CFF.jpeg
My Tesla Nav still shows dirt lots for where my house is. Also after a recent updates the street names are all wrong. Satellite imagery can sometimes take a while to update. Even google maps only recently updated the image to when some of the houses around me were built, while others were still dirt lots, but its still off by a year and a half.

Lsthrz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
For me, the more important issues outside of wireless charging and personal storage are: a) more efficient battery (charging and range) and b) improved autopilot functionality.

However, for a brand new build and platform, it’s pretty darn impressive how good this R1T is. For those new the EV experience you will be blown away and even for old EV timers like myself, still such an amazing vehicle.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

My Tesla Nav still shows dirt lots for where my house is. Also after a recent updates the street names are all wrong. Satellite imagery can sometimes take a while to update. Even google maps only recently updated the image to when some of the houses around me were built, while others were still dirt lots, but its still off by a year and a half.
So that just means that Tesla maps might be bad too. Probably for the same reason, they are just using whatever free map source.

For reference:

Apple Maps - You can see the neighborhood I live in but still under construction and is probably ~15 months old

Google Maps - Very recent photo, even shows my solar panels that were installed in July 2021.

My point is that Rivian thinks they can do better than the established players, in some ways I am sure they can make new features that improve upon things but they won’t revolutionize everything. I’d rather have a choice to use other mapping software (Google, Apple or Waze) when it is better.

Anyway I don’t think we need to revive the CP/AA yes/no debate on this thread.

Sponsored

NaCl

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Countryman s all4, Highlander Hybrid XLE, R1T
I don’t know that it was a rush in production. It’s vin 22xx and was manufactured 2/22. I think it was poor inspection. There’s no way they could have missed these things at the service center. They are blatant.

I am a bit disappointed but I’m hoping it gets repaired. But getting in and driving it certainly makes the disappointment disappear! The thing is amazing to drive. And garners a ton of attention on the road. Had a guy hanging out his window while driving trying to get a picture this morning. Fortunately it was stop and go on my commute!
I have the same config as you (color/wheels) and received mine on Friday (20220325). My fit and finish seems to be great. The only cosmetic issue I noticed during pickup was inside bed gate driver's side on bed there was a 2" long x 1/4" wide scrape/swath of no paint; just gray primer. The guide took a picture and indicated that he would write it up to get taken care of and that it should be doable as a mobile service call. I've not seen any email about anything being scheduled but, it is early on the Monday following the delivery and it doesn't impact anything so not concerned atm.

Insofar as functional less-swell observations:
0) Wifi hw does not like ubiquiti AP/network gear. It has _really_ been a pita to get it to connect to my home network. I've seen some similar issues a friend pointed me to w/Mach-E forum indicating the issue is related to domain name setting being specified causing DHCP address vending issues. I removed the setting and still it is hit/miss wrt connection. Not a signal issue (phone connects fine when I'm in the truck). Might try assigning an IP from ubiquiti side and seeing if that skirts the issue or not. The MAC manufacturer is u-blox...no idea if it's an endemic hw issue or pure software at this point.
1) Got into the vehicle yesterday and saw a brief error message on left side of behind-the-steering-wheel display about "fast charge disabled until service" or something. I haven't yet tried fast charging so that's weird. And concerning as I don't know if it means there's an issue w/charging system in general or what. I have a juicebox pro 75 limited to 45A. It has been charging fine otherwise. I sent an support question about this via the "ask us anything" 'button' in the app.
2) During driver+ engagement, when whatever of the myriad driver+ terminus events occurs (junction change, "road data ends", orbital flux, tachyon decay, climate change. wind blowing 'funny',...) the alert that indicates one must take control flashes/sounds and a helpful instructional graphic overlay/popup occurs w/information that actuating the right stalk up "once/one click/notch" to disengage driver+. Doing this _also_ disengages cruise. If cruise was set beforehand, it should go back to cruise. So that seems like a bug.
3) As of an hour ago, I was at a left turn light, foot on brake, HOLD engaged, and periodically it was attempting to edge forward. "dut dut...<pause for some seconds>...dut dut..." where "dut dut" is my best approximation of the noise/motor engagement the vehicle was attempting. This is the most concerning this far.
4) During standard operation, no cruise, no driver+, it can get testy about what it considers veering from one's lane. That's represented by audible and red lane marker in the behind-the-steering-wheel display. But I am often seeing and feeling some corrections (force feedback) and yellow boxing for the lane side in question on the behind-the-steering-wheel display. But this is only for some areas of some roads. I don't have enough drive time yet to intuit the pattern/reason yet. I thought maybe it was to keep on from driving off of curves but I have experienced the correction/event on relative straight patches of road as well. Do you/anyone else observe this/know what I'm talking about and what/why (cause) the reason for it?
5) It would be swell if camera views (at least some) could be overlayed on NAV screen. Or the camera view icon could be pinned to the dock area.

How did you determine the manufacturer ("birth") date of your vehicle? I asked the guide ar pick up and he had no idea even if he could find out from the backend. When you write 22xx those are here last digits yes? Mine's 14xx.

If there's some decoder/Rosetta stone for the vin, I'd be happy to be 302'd to it. Or just told how to interpret it.

Thanks!

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
As mentioned elsewhere their floor mats don't fully cover the carpet.

PXL_20220323_234631287.jpg

How long did it take to receive the floor mats? My vehicle was delivered March 24, still waiting for the accessories.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
0) Wifi hw does not like ubiquiti AP/network gear. It has _really_ been a pita to get it to connect to my home network. I've seen some similar issues a friend pointed me to w/Mach-E forum indicating the issue is related to domain name setting being specified causing DHCP address vending issues. I removed the setting and still it is hit/miss wrt connection. Not a signal issue (phone connects fine when I'm in the truck). Might try assigning an IP from ubiquiti side and seeing if that skirts the issue or not. The MAC manufacturer is u-blox...no idea if it's an endemic hw issue or pure software at this point.
Weird. I have all Unifi/Ubiquiti and my connection is rock solid; even the range is better than any of my other devices.
2) During driver+ engagement, when whatever of the myriad driver+ terminus events occurs (junction change, "road data ends", orbital flux, tachyon decay, climate change. wind blowing 'funny',...) the alert that indicates one must take control flashes/sounds and a helpful instructional graphic overlay/popup occurs w/information that actuating the right stalk up "once/one click/notch" to disengage driver+. Doing this _also_ disengages cruise. If cruise was set beforehand, it should go back to cruise. So that seems like a bug.
It will default to ACC if you simply let it disengage on it's own. This may get you put in "Rivian Jail" as @OutofSpecKyle calls it.
3) As of an hour ago, I was at a left turn light, foot on brake, HOLD engaged, and periodically it was attempting to edge forward. "dut dut...<pause for some seconds>...dut dut..." where "dut dut" is my best approximation of the noise/motor engagement the vehicle was attempting. This is the most concerning this far.
This sounds like it is trying to level itself out or adjust the ride height. The wheels need to move while this happens as there is a slight change to the wheelbase as it adjusts. While the vehicle is in 'H' leave your foot off of the brake pedal and see if this resolves.
4) During standard operation, no cruise, no driver+, it can get testy about what it considers veering from one's lane. That's represented by audible and red lane marker in the behind-the-steering-wheel display. But I am often seeing and feeling some corrections (force feedback) and yellow boxing for the lane side in question on the behind-the-steering-wheel display. But this is only for some areas of some roads. I don't have enough drive time yet to intuit the pattern/reason yet. I thought maybe it was to keep on from driving off of curves but I have experienced the correction/event on relative straight patches of road as well. Do you/anyone else observe this/know what I'm talking about and what/why (cause) the reason for it?
This is the Lane Keep Assist under the Driver+ settings. I agree that it isn't great, but you can fine tune the feedback as you see fit. I keep off any active steering feedback, and turn off wheel vibration. I leave audible warning on, though. Also, this system only works above 40mph so it can seem a little 'random', but it isn't.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
My R1T was delivered yesterday and I have to say, generally speaking, this thing was worth the wait! Even my wife who was skeptical has done a full 180. Got the LE El Cap with 20" AT's and BM interior.

R1T Driver Side.jpg
R1T Front.jpg
R1T Rear.jpg

Now, I've owned this thing for less than 24 hours and have only put on about 40ish miles, but my gripe now has to be their pre-delivery inspection. There are three blatant quality issues (all cosmetic) that should have been fixed before it was delivered.

1. The trim around the rear drivers side window was not seated properly
2. The hood is way out of alignment
3. The trim on the passenger side A pillar was not seated correctly

I have contacted my guide about service and will see what happens.

R1T Driver Side Rear Window.jpg
R1T Hood Driver Side.jpg
R1T Hood Passenger Side.jpg
R1T Passenger Side A Pillar.jpg
Yeah, mine is going back to the Dallas Hub (most likely) for a quite a few things. Mechanically the truck is a masterpiece, interior is great. I'm not sure who is QCing the exterior, but....not great.

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist
My phone case is my wallet and I leave it on an inductive charger every night. That said I have never gotten the R1T charger to actually charge my phone with the case on, iPhone 13 Pro. I did confirm that it works though with my Air Pods case.
Worked fine on my Pixel 6 Pro with the case on my test drive. Didn't even seem to sensitive to exac positioning.
Sponsored