Sponsored

Owners: What are your biggest gripes so far?

NaCl

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Countryman s all4, Highlander Hybrid XLE, R1T
Weird. I have all Unifi/Ubiquiti and my connection is rock solid; even the range is better than any of my other devices.
Indeed. I have noted better connections to other gear after having gone all ubiquiti. I've suffered through Google WIFI -> Eero -> Google Nest (all trash) with/without a pfsense box on the front-end. I had originally been running the controller in a TrueNAS VM w/UAP-ACv2 and nanoHD units. After upgrading, I found the older units were EOL'd so I replaced them w/all nanoHD units and UDMPro + XG24.

This R1T wifi thing is the first issue I've observed. No trouble w/the Model X the R1T replaced. Same parking spot, no deviation for AP location. And, as I mentioned, I can be inside the R1T and it keeps telling me it failed to connect and yet the phone (Pixel 6 Pro) works fine. After about an hour or so of searching/messing around w/it, it finally connected. It's unclear if it's an issue per the Mach-E forum or something else.

It will default to ACC if you simply let it disengage on it's own. This may get you put in "Rivian Jail" as @OutofSpecKyle calls it.
I tried this returning home this morning. Here's what it did:
0) Started alerting to take over.
1) Became _really_ upset w/more red on behind-the-steering-wheel display.
2) "Mic drop/peace out/good luck and god speed" dropped D+/CC and throttle.
3) Vehicle went from 63 to 54 before I manually re-engaged the CC. I would expect that would be enough time for it to kick in and reenable things were it going to do so.

Is there anything special you have to do...I mean I'm not excited about "Rivian Jail" (what is the material result/punishment w/this btw?) but I'd probably chance it at least some of the time. It seems to consider any left-side exit a junction change which is _really_ dislikes and demands to shutdown D+. In the Seattle area, there are a lot of these so it's a bit unpleasant.

This sounds like it is trying to level itself out or adjust the ride height. The wheels need to move while this happens as there is a slight change to the wheelbase as it adjusts. While the vehicle is in 'H' leave your foot off of the brake pedal and see if this resolves.
I think you're correct. I don't usually have the foot on the brake during stops/even after HOLD is engaged. This was a weird intersection so maybe just a bit more 'concern' on my part. I didn't observe it on the way home.

Also, this system only works above 40mph so it can seem a little 'random', but it isn't.
_That's_ likely the thing I was missing. Thank you!
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Indeed. I have noted better connections to other gear after having gone all ubiquiti. I've suffered through Google WIFI -> Eero -> Google Nest (all trash) with/without a pfsense box on the front-end. I had originally been running the controller in a TrueNAS VM w/UAP-ACv2 and nanoHD units. After upgrading, I found the older units were EOL'd so I replaced them w/all nanoHD units and UDMPro + XG24.

This R1T wifi thing is the first issue I've observed. No trouble w/the Model X the R1T replaced. Same parking spot, no deviation for AP location. And, as I mentioned, I can be inside the R1T and it keeps telling me it failed to connect and yet the phone (Pixel 6 Pro) works fine. After about an hour or so of searching/messing around w/it, it finally connected. It's unclear if it's an issue per the Mach-E forum or something else.
Could be the Nano/Wifi 5 thing. I upgraded to the U6-LR when I got the UDM Pro. Do you happen to have Geo IP filtering on, by chance? I have seen some VERY unusual blocking behavior (local domains, random domains registered in the US and UK) with that enabled, so it may be wort a test to disable it for a bit.
I tried this returning home this morning. Here's what it did:
0) Started alerting to take over.
1) Became _really_ upset w/more red on behind-the-steering-wheel display.
2) "Mic drop/peace out/good luck and god speed" dropped D+/CC and throttle.
3) Vehicle went from 63 to 54 before I manually re-engaged the CC. I would expect that would be enough time for it to kick in and reenable things were it going to do so.

Is there anything special you have to do...I mean I'm not excited about "Rivian Jail" (what is the material result/punishment w/this btw?) but I'd probably chance it at least some of the time. It seems to consider any left-side exit a junction change which is _really_ dislikes and demands to shutdown D+. In the Seattle area, there are a lot of these so it's a bit unpleasant.
Hmm. I went back and forth to SeaTac this weekend and used Driver+ HA 90% of the time and only had three disengagements (construction and road 'improvements'...) on 3, 16, and 5. Every time it defaulted to ACC. I even used it in the HOV lane where there are a few left hand exits and it work great.
I think you're correct. I don't usually have the foot on the brake during stops/even after HOLD is engaged. This was a weird intersection so maybe just a bit more 'concern' on my part. I didn't observe it on the way home.
I noticed this noise during my 500 ride-height-adjustment-demos and when I watched it adjust from the outside (the wheels roll) I realized I need to have my foot off the brake.
_That's_ likely the thing I was missing. Thank you!
No problem. Confused me for the first week!

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
We're getting whatever Alexa/Amazon has or will have. I'm guessing they are using Rivian to get further into the auto infotainment market.
The maps are from Mapbox, not amazon. Alexa is basically just the voice integration.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
The maps are from Mapbox, not amazon. Alexa is basically just the voice integration.
Is it possible that Rivian and Amazon have partnered to use Mapbox and associated tech to run consumer and delivery vehicle mapping services? Amazon drivers will no doubt utilize some type of mapping solution.

It will be interesting to see how much IT type tech is shared between the entities and the two types of vehicles.

OP
OP

Voronbrg

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Everything
Sandy keeps the garage clicker in the same spot. Rivian hurry and update us with home link,!!

Rivian R1T R1S Owners: What are your biggest gripes so far? Screenshot_20220329-212154

Sponsored

OP
OP

Voronbrg

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Everything

Bigskyinminnie

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Merc GL450
Took delivery today. First trip punched in for test from Minneapolis to Vail CO. It mapped an odd route and stated no chargers available when I know there's plenty along 80 in Nebraska. Wondering also why I wasn't presented with alternative routes like any other map app? I still need to play with all the tech stuff and learn. Maybe Kyle has a video on this. Oh and these things are rocket ships!

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Took delivery today. First trip punched in for test from Minneapolis to Vail CO. It mapped an odd route and stated no chargers available when I know there's plenty along 80 in Nebraska. Wondering also why I wasn't presented with alternative routes like any other map app? I still need to play with all the tech stuff and learn. Maybe Kyle has a video on this. Oh and these things are rocket ships!
I don't have a Rivian yet, but I remember seeing in a video you can filter which chargers show up. Maybe you need to do that?

Sponsored

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
Ive heard this argument before. I don’t buy it though. What you describe would be anti competitive. It’s akin to Windows favoring IE in the OS or Apple favoring its own apps or that of a partner (Google Search). Companies just aren’t supposed to make inside deals like this.
Yeah when have you ever known any of the big tech conglomerates to be anti-competitive? Surely there are not several pending and settled court cases proving just that...

Lsthrz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
My phone case is my wallet and I leave it on an inductive charger every night. That said I have never gotten the R1T charger to actually charge my phone with the case on, iPhone 13 Pro. I did confirm that it works though with my Air Pods case.
Same. Will only charge my iPhone 13 Pro Max with the case off and even then it’s really delicate. Air pod pros charge pretty well even inside a thick third party case. I’ve just gone to plugging it in (old school-like).

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
$80K vehicle and i keep seeing a bunch of garage door clickers and wired phone charge cables in peoples trucks.... kind of a miss by Rivian.
1) too lazy to program homelink
2)my phone doesn’t have wireless charging and if it did apple’s stupid camera bump would make it a pain.

Tommy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Raptor, 2003 HD Fatboy
Rivian R1T R1S Owners: What are your biggest gripes so far? 20220413_094857
Does anyone else have this 'sawtooth ' light pattern? It doesn't look too bad on the wall of the garage but is really noticeable and distracting on the road at night.
I'm wondering if it is a headlight misalignment or just some quirk I have to get used too.
Feedback would be appreciated. If you are not seeing this with your R1Ts, I'll contact Rivian for a service call. Thanks.
Sponsored