Sponsored

Owners: What are your biggest gripes so far?

Voronbrg

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Everything
Mine

-No homelink, I understand it will be added later via ota.
-No good storage cubbies for sunglasses/garage clickers.
-Drivers seat needs to go lower, at full down, it sits higher than the passenger side. Driving position is very upright.
-Rear legroom, everyone talked how great it was with adults, but with toddlers in carseats. Legroom is very tight.
-Key fob sometimes feels laggy when unlocking.
-No button to lock and unlock from the door. Like a traditional smart key system. I either have to have it auto open/lock or pull out the key each time.
-Auto open/lock is unpredictable. Sometimes its really sensitive and unlocks it self when I'm indoors, sometimes I'm at the door and I have to wait to detect. Would much rather have a touch sensitive part of the door that will unlock/lock.
-Dashcam for driving/remote viewing thru app. Could be added later via ota.
-Browser? Youtube/YTMusic? Apps in general? Hopefully they add more in the future.
-Comfort drive mode, make it ride really smooth.
-Wireless charging pad is terrible even with no case. Perhaps it works better on apple devices but not Note20/Pixel6. It's a very narrow window and between the slippery surface the phone slides around.
Sponsored

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Is the storage cubby under the seat not large enough for sunglasses?

norivian

First Name
norivianyet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T in 2023 🤞
Mine

-No homelink, I understand it will be added later via ota.
-Drivers seat needs to go lower, at full down, it sits higher than the passenger side. Driving position is very upright.
-Rear legroom, everyone talked how great it was with adults, but with toddlers in carseats. Legroom is very tight.
-Key fob sometimes feels laggy when unlocking.
-No button to lock and unlock from the door. Like a traditional smart key system. I either have to have it auto open/lock or pull out the key each time.
-Auto open/lock is unpredictable. Sometimes its really sensitive and unlocks it self when I'm indoors, sometimes I'm at the door and I have to wait to detect. Would much rather have a touch sensitive part of the door that will unlock/lock.
-Dashcam for driving/remote viewing thru app. Could be added later via ota.
-Browser? Youtube/YTMusic? Apps in general? Hopefully they add more in the future.
-Comfort drive mode, make it ride really smooth.
-Wireless charging pad is terrible even with no case. Perhaps it works better on apple devices but not Note20/Pixel6. It's a very narrow window and between the slippery surface the phone slides around.
Do you have the tent add-on?

Sponsored

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
not in easy reach while driving in my opinion. I would prefer if there was a cubby under the center vents.
Or just put your glasses on/take them off while you're not actually driving? Novel idea, I'm sure :)

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Or just put your glasses on/take them off while you're not actually driving? Novel idea, I'm sure :)
on long road trips weather frequently changes from sun to clouds while driving.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
on long road trips weather frequently changes from sun to clouds while driving.
On long road trips one frequently stops to eat, piss, and charge.

Everyone is entitled to their own subjective gripes ?

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

On long road trips one frequently stops to eat, piss, and charge.

Everyone is entitled to their own subjective gripes ?
not that frequent. Perhaps weather patterns are different on the west coast.

In my old 2004 RAM i use to go through sunglasses so frequently because there wasn't a place to put them. I'd make a sharp turn and they'd fly across the dash and get smashed (cheap ones, I know)

My 2016 RAM has a nice little shelf to hold them, and I've had the same pair for 5+ years now.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Put them on the cell phone charger then, if you're changing them that frequently. Or just wear them the whole time. It's not like you can't see on a cloudy day with sunglasses on, I know for a fact since cloudy days are the days I actually do wear sunglasses (the diffused light causes me migraines).

Sponsored

OP
OP

Voronbrg

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Everything
Delivery crew said not to put anything on top of it. No cards, no metal, nothing with batteries.

Put them on the cell phone charger then, if you're changing them that frequently. Or just wear them the whole time. It's not like you can't see on a cloudy day with sunglasses on, I know for a fact since cloudy days are the days I actually do wear sunglasses (the diffused light causes me migraines).

davidaugust

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo V90, Toyota Camry
Occupation
retired
Oh no, I put mine on and off while driving all the time; get's cloudy or sunny, sunrise, sunset. Swap out prescription glasses for prescription sunglasses. It's actually kind of a big deal. I would wonder if you could put a peel and stick glasses holder on the underside of the passenger half of the center console lid?

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just find it hard to believe that as someone who has worn glasses almost his entire driving history, and as someone with eyes so light sensitive it makes his optometrists apologize... I've never ever had this issue. I've never needed to swap my glasses so many times that it mattered where I stored them. Blows my mind, but hey, I guess I'm just doing it wrong ?

For those of you that simply cannot live without being able to change your eyewear every 5 minutes and find the current storage options insufficient, I would recommend something that sticks to the windshield or console light a phone holder. It would be cool to have some statistics to see how many people fall on which side of the line - I just can't imagine this complaint being so common place that Rivian should have engineered for it.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Hardware related things first, because these aren't gonna change:
  • frunk: no hands-free operation (I didn't realize how much I loved the ID.4 swipe-foot-under-car-to-open-hatch feature), no grocery bag hooks, the revised shape (compared to the prototypes) that no longer fits a cooler
  • bed: no 12V
  • doesn't have spray-to-clean for the rear camera (also an ID.4 feature I love)
  • that squeaky, clunky, anything-but-premium motorized tonneau cover
  • the doors (and gear tunnel doors) take a lot of force to close. I don't really want to swing unnecessarily hard, so 2 out of 3 times, I wind up having to re-open the door and try again
  • cab storage: the giant, cavernous center console is, well, cavernous. Great if you want to tuck a whole bag out of sight. Not so great if you want a few small things organized and readily accessible (e.g., pens, registration, note pad, hand sanitizer). Also, the push button to open on the center console is awkward and unintuitive.
  • the charging mat does not work at all w/ iphone 13 in apple's leather case; I suspect camera bump partly to blame, though I wouldn't expect a phone to stay put on that flat surface if you're having any fun at all...
  • the map lights are raked such that they shine right in the faces of the front seat passengers; and their initial "on" state is their brightest (I'm hopeful this latter part can be adjusted with software)
  • the AC compressor can make a loud, distinct hum and also vibrate the floor under the front seats a bit. I think a combination of it being sized to condition the battery, no ICE noise covering it up, and the location being much closer to the occupants makes this noticeable in the Rivian where it generally wouldn't be in other vehicles
  • above about level 2, the cabin fans are pretty loud
Likely repairable:
  • weather stripping issue on passenger door -> lots of wind noise at freeway speeds (we'll be trying to get them to fix this)
Software stuff that I'm sure will get better over time:
  • when going into R, backup camera pops up on screen. In the ID.4, it'll remain in camera mode while moving forward at low speeds. The R1T immediately reverts out of camera mode when leaving reverse. Keeping the cameras on (and auto-switching to the front-facing view when going to D) until hitting 3 or 5mph would be really useful for parking in tight spaces. Also, if the parking proximity sensors are triggered while in D, automatically launching the camera view would be nice too
  • nav... it's better than any legacy OEM but try not to trip over that bar...
    • No lane guidance, crappy/misleading/wrong directions in complex urban interchanges (think early apple maps quality stuff)
    • Traffic avoidance is ok but nowhere near comparable to google/apple/waze, seems like their data source may not have enough drivers on less-traveled routes to have good data for them
    • No way points or stops, so no way to use it to plan an out-and-back trip (I might have enough charge to get there, but what if there is no charger wherever there is?)
    • It's not using a particularly complete database of chargers (lots more in any given area if you use browse with plugshare)
    • Too many of the controls are centered or even on the right side of the display which is a long reach for the driver
    • While I dislike the way the route ends on most phone apps once you've "arrived" (because I'm frequently driving by looking for parking and if that pin disappears, I sometimes lose a sense of how far I've wandered in my search), the Rivian nav seems to suffer from the opposite problem. A number of times I've been like "why can't I pick a destination?" only to realize I needed to tap the blue "end route" button first.
    • I will say it's snappy, responsive, and pretty.
  • much better after getting the latest software, but the auto-unlock when approaching with my phone in my pocket still sometimes doesn't happen until I've been waiting in front of the door or the frunk for a few seconds
  • driver profiles
    • The auto switching depending on which of us approaches the vehicle is glitchy at best
    • Climate not being saved to profile
    • this might be kind of out there (but we're not commuters, so we tend to drive places together more often than not); I want the passenger seat position to be saved to the driver profile too. That way if I'm driving, the passenger seat defaults to where my husband likes it, and if he's driving, it defaults to where I like it
  • climate
    • the quick access button for heat/ventilation, I want to have a way to toggle between heat/ventilation modes. Right now, it only cycles through the level of the given mode; you have to go into the full climate screen to switch between modes
  • infotainment related things
    • dragging a slider to a precise position when a vehicle is moving is hard; every slider control should have a tap-to-increment at the top and a tap-to-decrement at the bottom
    • settings vs vehicle vs drive mode; remembering which thing is buried in what is still difficult, and the icons (especially vehicle vs drive mode) also easy to confuse
    • having problems copying gear guard videos out of the vehicle onto external media
    • no music over usb
    • music controls aggressively display in a popover; I think similar to the climate controls, having an always-there simplified media control would be preferable (while maintaining the current one tap to get into the full music app). I know album art is "pretty" and everything, but I do not care, and I find a white or bright album image popping up onto the otherwise dark/black screen at night to be very distracting
    • when in night mode, some functions briefly display in day light mode before switching to dark
    • one of the camera modes causes the screen to switch to full brightness at night (only while that mode is displayed)
    • general lack of apps and capabilities (e.g., apple music, text messaging), and let's face it, if you've ever used the native apps on a smart tv, these will always be fewer and lower quality than the versions on your phone and discontinued after about 5 years... which brings up
    • no car play / android auto (which would add all the music apps anyone would want, all the podcast apps, all the audio book readers including the tiny oddball one your local library uses that Rivian will never wind up partnering with, all the third-party nav including ABRP for more complex itineraries and Waze for better traffic routing, and the ability to use the screen to use all of those, change audio sources, etc..)

Last edited:

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Delivery crew said not to put anything on top of it. No cards, no metal, nothing with batteries.
sunglasses will be fine.
Sponsored