Sponsored

Owners: What are your biggest gripes so far?

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Worked fine on my Pixel 6 Pro with the case on my test drive. Didn't even seem to sensitive to exac positioning.
Yeah I‘m sure different people with different phones will have different experiments. When it didn’t work for me on delivery the delivery man told me it often doesn’t work with cases.

Also I admit that my phone doesn’t work on some other wireless chargers either.
Sponsored

SEPA R1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Clubs

I have the same config as you (color/wheels) and received mine on Friday (20220325). My fit and finish seems to be great. The only cosmetic issue I noticed during pickup was inside bed gate driver's side on bed there was a 2" long x 1/4" wide scrape/swath of no paint; just gray primer. The guide took a picture and indicated that he would write it up to get taken care of and that it should be doable as a mobile service call. I've not seen any email about anything being scheduled but, it is early on the Monday following the delivery and it doesn't impact anything so not concerned atm.

Insofar as functional less-swell observations:
0) Wifi hw does not like ubiquiti AP/network gear. It has _really_ been a pita to get it to connect to my home network. I've seen some similar issues a friend pointed me to w/Mach-E forum indicating the issue is related to domain name setting being specified causing DHCP address vending issues. I removed the setting and still it is hit/miss wrt connection. Not a signal issue (phone connects fine when I'm in the truck). Might try assigning an IP from ubiquiti side and seeing if that skirts the issue or not. The MAC manufacturer is u-blox...no idea if it's an endemic hw issue or pure software at this point.
1) Got into the vehicle yesterday and saw a brief error message on left side of behind-the-steering-wheel display about "fast charge disabled until service" or something. I haven't yet tried fast charging so that's weird. And concerning as I don't know if it means there's an issue w/charging system in general or what. I have a juicebox pro 75 limited to 45A. It has been charging fine otherwise. I sent an support question about this via the "ask us anything" 'button' in the app.
2) During driver+ engagement, when whatever of the myriad driver+ terminus events occurs (junction change, "road data ends", orbital flux, tachyon decay, climate change. wind blowing 'funny',...) the alert that indicates one must take control flashes/sounds and a helpful instructional graphic overlay/popup occurs w/information that actuating the right stalk up "once/one click/notch" to disengage driver+. Doing this _also_ disengages cruise. If cruise was set beforehand, it should go back to cruise. So that seems like a bug.
3) As of an hour ago, I was at a left turn light, foot on brake, HOLD engaged, and periodically it was attempting to edge forward. "dut dut...<pause for some seconds>...dut dut..." where "dut dut" is my best approximation of the noise/motor engagement the vehicle was attempting. This is the most concerning this far.
4) During standard operation, no cruise, no driver+, it can get testy about what it considers veering from one's lane. That's represented by audible and red lane marker in the behind-the-steering-wheel display. But I am often seeing and feeling some corrections (force feedback) and yellow boxing for the lane side in question on the behind-the-steering-wheel display. But this is only for some areas of some roads. I don't have enough drive time yet to intuit the pattern/reason yet. I thought maybe it was to keep on from driving off of curves but I have experienced the correction/event on relative straight patches of road as well. Do you/anyone else observe this/know what I'm talking about and what/why (cause) the reason for it?
5) It would be swell if camera views (at least some) could be overlayed on NAV screen. Or the camera view icon could be pinned to the dock area.

How did you determine the manufacturer ("birth") date of your vehicle? I asked the guide ar pick up and he had no idea even if he could find out from the backend. When you write 22xx those are here last digits yes? Mine's 14xx.

If there's some decoder/Rosetta stone for the vin, I'd be happy to be 302'd to it. Or just told how to interpret it.

Thanks!
Congrats on getting the truck! One other quality issue I found this weekend was the passenger side cable connection to the truck bed (not the gate itself) was "overtightened" and therefore does swing easily when the gate is opened. Therefor the cable doesn't fold nicely on itself and gets caught outside the gate when closing and doesn't allow the gate to close properly.

Anyway....enough b***ching from me!

0) I'd like to help you out, but everything you said in that paragraph was greek to me!

1) Keep us updated next time you use a DC charger. Haven't seen that error myself but would be interested to see how it plays out for you or was just a one time "quirk".

2) Haven't tried Driver + yet but will be on the lookout for this.

3) Hasn't happened to me but I don't keep my foot on the brake...just let the truck hold itself

4) I hate all lane keep assist features in all cars and thus have turned this off.....problem solved. I've been driving over 30 years now.......and my wife nags enough....I don't need my truck doing it too.

5) Agree!

I found the birth year of the truck on the manufacturer sticker in the drivers door jamb. The 22xx is the last 4 digits of the VIN, which as I understand it correspond the place in line the truck come off the factory line (generally speaking....I'm sure there are some variances).

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist
The maps are spotty for me too, in my area they aren't old just the locations of stuff that has moved a year ago have not been updated.

It would be nice to see a export option from google maps to the car.

That spot works, but I have my garage clickers there. 2 on that spot and 1 more inside the armrest.
Why did they not use Google Maps for their data like Tesla did? It's clearly the most complete and up to date. Polestar did a great job with Android Automotive. Google maps it's accurate range estimation and route planning that worked flawlessly in my experience.

TXRIV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Technology Sales
My clicker is in the storage under the drivers seat, still working on a place for that.

My EV6, shop and home gym are currently taking up space for my R1T in my 3 car garage. When I start parking in the garage that will become more important. Hopefully we have homelink by then.
Are there no visors to clip the door opener on?

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

There is. I think the general opinion is there is some safety risk in doing so.

Sponsored

NaCl

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Countryman s all4, Highlander Hybrid XLE, R1T
There are. However, having one's garage remote in such a conspicuous location is the functional equivalent of a "Break into my vehicle! Easy treasure awaits!" sign. E.g. break in, take your registration and your garage remote, go to your house, and conveniently pilfer whatever.

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
- Better mapping system: Carplay or Google maps
- Homelink
- Some of the text is just too small considering the vast areas of white space on the screens. For example, the range display on the bottom right of the screen. I would like to see this 4 times larger as I think this should be very prominent on the driver's display. Make the screens user configurable. Efficiency graph could be a lot larger also. Depending on what you see the experience is vastly different. A good example of this can be seen by pulling up the FM radio page to see what I mean. :) It's HUGE!
- Alexa voice prompts needs better control of volume level relative to music volume coming from phone via BT.
- Let me plug in a USB drive and play FLAC files. The sound system is very good but it needs high quality source material to really shine. And no, I don't want to stream.
- Enable a basic cruise control mode that is not HA or ACC. Those are a bit flaky still...

I'm sure more ideas will come to mind but most of these should be fixable with OTA updates. I just did a bit over 500 miles this weekend - it is truly an excellent vehicle that has potential to be much better with software updates! It was worth the wait!

OP
OP

Voronbrg

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Everything
So that just means that Tesla maps might be bad too. Probably for the same reason, they are just using whatever free map source.

For reference:

Apple Maps - You can see the neighborhood I live in but still under construction and is probably ~15 months old

Google Maps - Very recent photo, even shows my solar panels that were installed in July 2021.

My point is that Rivian thinks they can do better than the established players, in some ways I am sure they can make new features that improve upon things but they won’t revolutionize everything. I’d rather have a choice to use other mapping software (Google, Apple or Waze) when it is better.

Anyway I don’t think we need to revive the CP/AA yes/no debate on this thread.

I think we're never going to get AA or CP. Or Gmaps or Amaps. We're getting whatever Alexa/Amazon has or will have. I'm guessing they are using Rivian to get further into the auto infotainment market.

OP
OP

Voronbrg

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Everything
Please tell me more about this!! It’s my biggest concern and I’m in an area where I haven’t been able to see one in person yet. I’ll be rocking a rear-facing toddler seat and a booster for a few more years, and I’m worried that the transition from a Yukon to an R1T is going to drive me crazy. How far forward do you need to slide the front seats to get toddlers comfortable in the back?!? ?
Rivian R1T R1S Owners: What are your biggest gripes so far? PXL_20220328_130644773

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I think we're never going to get AA or CP. Or Gmaps or Amaps. We're getting whatever Alexa/Amazon has or will have. I'm guessing they are using Rivian to get further into the auto infotainment market.
Ive heard this argument before. I don’t buy it though. What you describe would be anti competitive. It’s akin to Windows favoring IE in the OS or Apple favoring its own apps or that of a partner (Google Search). Companies just aren’t supposed to make inside deals like this.

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

I got the factory mats, and the all weather mats came in the mail. Packed poorly but they came today.
Anyone with visibility into when WeatherTech (or similar) might have mats available?

jffkm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3
Same experience in first-mile event with 2 and 7 year old in back. Both complained that their feet were jammed against the back of the seats. I think it's the angle of the backrest (rear seat). Kid seats are designed for a decent angle/slope from average bucket sedan seats but the R1T felt upright (kind of like the ridgeline) in the back seats. The effect is much less distance from chest to seat (and toddler feet to seat) than I had expected. Our subaru forester felt cavernous in comparison RE rear legroom. REALLY curious to see if this is the same on the R1S or if they adjusted backward to account for more recline angle/room.

NaCl

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Countryman s all4, Highlander Hybrid XLE, R1T
- Better mapping system: Carplay or Google maps
- Homelink
- Some of the text is just too small considering the vast areas of white space on the screens. For example, the range display on the bottom right of the screen. I would like to see this 4 times larger as I think this should be very prominent on the driver's display. Make the screens user configurable. Efficiency graph could be a lot larger also. Depending on what you see the experience is vastly different. A good example of this can be seen by pulling up the FM radio page to see what I mean. :) It's HUGE!
How does one turn off the FM radio? The little slide-from-right to the left pullout doesn't have a pause/off icon. Just:
|< <heart 'favorite' icon> >|

There's the volume icon but mute seems like a poor 'off'. Since I don't use Spotify, I've gone to switching the input to spotify or phone. Tune In might also but I don't know yet if it would just autoplay last selection/station or not.

- Alexa voice prompts needs better control of volume level relative to music volume coming from phone via BT.
Or how about _any_ voice prompts for people that don't use/want Alexa? I didn't set it up as I don't really want any of the Alexa, Siri, Google Assistant, Bixby, Cortana trackers/snoopers. So I, and like-minded types, are currently left w/some low-volume 'bong'-like noises.

- Let me plug in a USB drive and play FLAC files. The sound system is very good but it needs high quality source material to really shine. And no, I don't want to stream.
- Enable a basic cruise control mode that is not HA or ACC. Those are a bit flaky still...
Yes please x2.

OP
OP

Voronbrg

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Everything
Same experience in first-mile event with 2 and 7 year old in back. Both complained that their feet were jammed against the back of the seats. I think it's the angle of the backrest (rear seat). Kid seats are designed for a decent angle/slope from average bucket sedan seats but the R1T felt upright (kind of like the ridgeline) in the back seats. The effect is much less distance from chest to seat (and toddler feet to seat) than I had expected. Our subaru forester felt cavernous in comparison RE rear legroom. REALLY curious to see if this is the same on the R1S or if they adjusted backward to account for more recline angle/room.
I think its the gear tunnel they were adamant about having. We'd have more cabin space if it weren't for the tunnel. The rear legroom is good for grown people though.
Sponsored