Sponsored

Owners: What are your biggest gripes so far?

s12dxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE - LA Silver
Clubs

I wonder if there's a licensing thing that hasn't quite been worked out yet ?
I received an answer on this today from Rivian support. Essentially these Alexa skills aren't supported in the current Software version, but will most likely be coming in an update.

They said the only skills supported are Amazon music and Spotify at the moment.
Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
No usb PD. The nice usbc ports we have are not going to rapidly charge your phone.
Damn, Rivian is really bad at this charging thing...
Has someone actually measured the wattage? PD can be finicky depending on the rated voltage/amperage for a given device but just because it doesn't fast charge your phone doesn't mean it isn't PD compliant, or that it is a low-wattage outlet.

Not trying to doubt you - just curious on what you've tried since I haven't seen much data here. If I recall correctly my Tesla happily puts out 40W+ on all the USB-C outlets, which is really nice for fast wireless chargers, topping off my laptop, etc.

Speaking of which - I bet it's a matter of time 'til somebody like Jeda makes a superior wireless charging pad for the R1T, as they have with Tesla. Seems like a great fit for MagSafe given the complaints about alignment. In the meantime, you can buy little MagSafe magnet stickers on Amazon - slapping a couple of those in the right spots on the pad could be a quick fix for iPhone folks having charging issues.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
In the meantime, you can buy little MagSafe magnet stickers on Amazon - slapping a couple of those in the right spots on the pad could be a quick fix for iPhone folks having charging issues.
That's a pretty good idea. For other phones, I also like @Khaneric's suggestion of 3d printing custom mats - you could do some that have ridges to keep phones in the optimal zone.

WhidbeyIsland

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Lexus RX350 & 2023 R1T
Occupation
Retired!
So, while none of the individual gripes mentioned so far are in and of themselves a deal breaker, and no car is perfect... I have to admit that the list is starting to pile up and cause me to rethink my plan. Given the price for the truck, I really need to sit in & drive one for a bit to decide if I can live with all of these.. And yes, small item storage is big deal for me and the charging pad problems seem very short sited.

My estimated date is not until 2023... so I do hope the UI vastly improves by then.

Cactus

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2014 Tesla Model S, June 2023 R1S
Occupation
Professor
Clubs

The irony is that in the truck’s manual it says alexa supports Apple Music and SiriusXM, but Alexa tells me that is not supported on this device….
I think Amazon (major investor) Music and Apple Carplay are competitors, so Apple car play seems unlikely, but who knows what the future holds?

Apple Car Play is great, but Apple ruined iTunes years ago, so I use Amazon Music on my iphone.

Sponsored

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
So, while none of the individual gripes mentioned so far are in and of themselves a deal breaker, and no car is perfect... I have to admit that the list is starting to pile up and cause me to rethink my plan. Given the price for the truck, I really need to sit in & drive one for a bit to decide if I can live with all of these.. And yes, small item storage is big deal for me and the charging pad problems seem very short sited.
100% agree!! Thank you to those who have their trucks already for taking the time to post their feedback, it's greatly appreciated!

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Not yet an owner, but watching Kyle's road trip these will probably be my top two:
1. No battery preconditioning, making charging quite slow on cold conditions. TBD in hot.
2. The headlights and radar get covered in snow when driving in it, and he had to pull over after a short time to clean them.
3. The lack of 800v charging and the 350A limits people are seeing on EA consistently basically makes charging limited to 150kw until RAN arrives or EA gets their act together with their amperage limits.

SEPA R1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Clubs

My R1T was delivered yesterday and I have to say, generally speaking, this thing was worth the wait! Even my wife who was skeptical has done a full 180. Got the LE El Cap with 20" AT's and BM interior.

Rivian R1T R1S Owners: What are your biggest gripes so far? R1T Driver Side
Rivian R1T R1S Owners: What are your biggest gripes so far? R1T Front
Rivian R1T R1S Owners: What are your biggest gripes so far? R1T Rear

Now, I've owned this thing for less than 24 hours and have only put on about 40ish miles, but my gripe now has to be their pre-delivery inspection. There are three blatant quality issues (all cosmetic) that should have been fixed before it was delivered.

1. The trim around the rear drivers side window was not seated properly
2. The hood is way out of alignment
3. The trim on the passenger side A pillar was not seated correctly

I have contacted my guide about service and will see what happens.

Rivian R1T R1S Owners: What are your biggest gripes so far? R1T Driver Side Rear Window
Rivian R1T R1S Owners: What are your biggest gripes so far? R1T Hood Driver Side
Rivian R1T R1S Owners: What are your biggest gripes so far? R1T Hood Passenger Side
Rivian R1T R1S Owners: What are your biggest gripes so far? R1T Passenger Side A Pillar

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning
Woof.

Sponsored

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
My R1T was delivered yesterday and I have to say, generally speaking, this thing was worth the wait! Even my wife who was skeptical has done a full 180. Got the LE El Cap with 20" AT's and BM interior.

R1T Driver Side.jpg
R1T Front.jpg
R1T Rear.jpg

Now, I've owned this thing for less than 24 hours and have only put on about 40ish miles, but my gripe now has to be their pre-delivery inspection. There are three blatant quality issues (all cosmetic) that should have been fixed before it was delivered.

1. The trim around the rear drivers side window was not seated properly
2. The hood is way out of alignment
3. The trim on the passenger side A pillar was not seated correctly

I have contacted my guide about service and will see what happens.

R1T Driver Side Rear Window.jpg
R1T Hood Driver Side.jpg
R1T Hood Passenger Side.jpg
R1T Passenger Side A Pillar.jpg
This is interesting. The first few deliveries for members on this forum didn’t really have any fit and finish issues. It is going to be interesting to see if the fit and finish starts to suffer as we get more deliveries of cars made closer to quarter end. I have heard that Tesla is notorious for delivering cars with major fit and finish issues close to quarter end because they are trying to produce and deliver as many cars as possible for their next earnings report.

SEPA R1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Clubs

This is interesting. The first few deliveries for members on this forum didn’t really have any fit and finish issues. It is going to be interesting to see if the fit and finish starts to suffer as we get more deliveries of cars made closer to quarter end. I have heard that Tesla is notorious for delivering cars with major fit and finish issues close to quarter end because they are trying to produce and deliver as many cars as possible for their next earnings report.
I don’t know that it was a rush in production. It’s vin 22xx and was manufactured 2/22. I think it was poor inspection. There’s no way they could have missed these things at the service center. They are blatant.

I am a bit disappointed but I’m hoping it gets repaired. But getting in and driving it certainly makes the disappointment disappear! The thing is amazing to drive. And garners a ton of attention on the road. Had a guy hanging out his window while driving trying to get a picture this morning. Fortunately it was stop and go on my commute!

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Rivian isn’t Tesla. Fit and finish generally improves with time.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
As mentioned elsewhere their floor mats don't fully cover the carpet.

PXL_20220323_234631287.jpg
This is making me seriously reconsider the floor mats. Aftermarket can surely do better and there is so much other Rivian branding throughout I don't think I will miss the logo on the mats.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I find fit and finish is varied based on who is looking.

I have had cars that people pointed out things to me they felt where gap issues that I was fine with.

The Tesla I have my brother-in-law pointed out two of the gaps on the rear hatch that for him is unacceptable but luckily for Tesla I have no issue with.
Sponsored