Sponsored

Windshield cracks & chips. Better replacement windshield in aftermarket?

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Yep, the only advice I've seen is stick to OEM if you can...not exactly a comparison between brands of glass...but I guess it's just not marketed with brand names.
Sponsored

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

I've always tried to stick with OEM windshield replacements due to better quality but I think the Rivian windshield quality is so poor that maybe aftermarket would end up being better? It seems so fragile.

I already had my Rivian windshield replaced because it came with a bunch of scratches on delivery. Service center took nearly 2 weeks to do the replacement and ended up scratching the mesh grill on the dashboard, denting a speaker grill, and breaking the automatic windshield wipers.

ScottnAZ

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T (White,BM,22’s), 1966 C10 (SB,BBW,SBC327)
Occupation
Design/Build Remodel Contractor
Clubs

Does Rivian specify that you need to go with them for replacement? If so, is there a reason given?
Rivian does not specify, as far as I know.
Years ago, on an Audi Q7, we had a windshield replaced with non-oem glass and had immediate issues with noise, so we had it replaced again and the issues persisted. We ultimately had the dealer replace it with oem glass and the issues were gone.

Since that experience, I’ve preferred to have the dealer/manufacture replace the windshield on our more expensive vehicles; MX, JLR Defender, Rivian. IMO, safelite is perfectly fine for my daughters sportage or any of our work trucks, but I’m going to stick with the oem on the other cars (the one’s I drive……:))

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Sounds like I'll be getting the windshield protection film installed. If it lasts 2 years as it says for 500 it's still probably better than risking a windshield.

runwithscissors

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, MDX, R1S
Rivian does not specify, as far as I know.
Years ago, on an Audi Q7, we had a windshield replaced with non-oem glass and had immediate issues with noise, so we had it replaced again and the issues persisted. We ultimately had the dealer replace it with oem glass and the issues were gone.

Since that experience, I’ve preferred to have the dealer/manufacture replace the windshield on our more expensive vehicles; MX, JLR Defender, Rivian. IMO, safelite is perfectly fine for my daughters sportage or any of our work trucks, but I’m going to stick with the oem on the other cars (the one’s I drive……:))
Similar experience with a Volvo XC90, safelite replacement was noticeably louder but it was a lease and was about to turn it in or I would've switched it out for OEM glass. I wish I did a decibel test before and after but it was never the same.

Sponsored

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
I realize this is somewhat off topic, but since we are discussing windshield replacement already, I want to know what others here think.

Is it better to replace a cracked windshield (preferably with non-OEM glass because it's cheaper) prior to trading in a vehicle? In other words, will I get a slightly higher trade in value that would be at least worth the cost of the replacement? If not, I probably won't bother. TIA.

GR

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I realize this is somewhat off topic, but since we are discussing windshield replacement already, I want to know what others here think.

Is it better to replace a cracked windshield (preferably with non-OEM glass because it's cheaper) prior to trading in a vehicle? In other words, will I get a slightly higher trade in value that would be at least worth the cost of the replacement? If not, I probably won't bother. TIA.

GR
No. Dealer can do it cheaper than you’d pay so it’s not worth it, imo.

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
No. Dealer can do it cheaper than you’d pay so it’s not worth it, imo.
I know dealer's cost is much cheaper than retail, even compared to aftermarket parts, but will that "cost saving" translate into higher trade-in value for me is the real question.

If I don't pay to replace before trading in, would the dealer (or any car buying services) use that as an excuse and drop my trade-in value by more than what it would cost me to replace it?

GR

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I know dealer's cost is much cheaper than retail, even compared to aftermarket parts, but will that "cost saving" translate into higher trade-in value for me is the real question.

If I don't pay to replace before trading in, would the dealer (or any car buying services) use that as an excuse and drop my trade-in value by more than what it would cost me to replace it?

GR
In slower markets, maybe. Dealers want inventory though.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
No worries. Some municipalities use ice melt (salt pebbles) or even little pebbles on snow and ice to help car with traction (salt also melts the ice). That means usually in the winter you'll pretty frequently get flying projectiles onto your windshield (yay)
Yeah. In Oregon we use "sand", which is really a lot a course rock, some of which is the size on your fingernails. Good times.

Sponsored

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Does Rivian specify that you need to go with them for replacement? If so, is there a reason given? Having been given a run around at a Subaru dealership, I got a replacement windshield from a Safelite center and, despite dealer admonishment, had no subsequent issues with the Subaru Eyesight system. Oh, and BTW, saved a bunch of $.
Most vehicles with cameras need to go to the dealer. Last I checked the franchises won't do a Tesla.

IMO it pays to quickly get an impact repaired before it becomes a crack, assuming its not in the sight line. Windshields on cars with cameras are expensive.

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

The list of parts for mine was windshield (associated adhesives/primer), sensor, and labor

OP
OP

BCan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Most vehicles with cameras need to go to the dealer. Last I checked the franchises won't do a Tesla.

IMO it pays to quickly get an impact repaired before it becomes a crack, assuming its not in the sight line. Windshields on cars with cameras are expensive.
Rivian service can/will provide you with a certified third party windshield installer.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Not sure on the quality of the glass. Given the cost of replacement I asked my insurance company for advice. With all the glass he recommended I just lower my deductible. It wasn’t much of a difference on my policy but will lessen the blow if I need it. Although if it’s a recurring issue those rates will only go up. So far so good. My two previous vehicles (GM) got chips/cracks within the first 1000 miles. Seems almost inevitable!
Do you have "Full Glass" coverage under "Auto Comprehensive Insurance" on your policy?
If not, you can add it for a couple of bucks/month and you get $0.00 deductible on windshield chip repair and even full windshield replacement. In NY it's a "must" with our terrible roads and I have used both the chip repair service and full replacement on our four vehicles over the past several years.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Do you have "Full Glass" coverage under "Auto Comprehensive Insurance" on your policy?
If not, you can add it for a couple of bucks/month and you get $0.00 deductible on windshield chip repair and even full windshield replacement. In NY it's a "must" with our terrible roads and I have used both the chip repair service and full replacement on our four vehicles over the past several years.
Unfortunately for most of us this isn't offered everywhere. Looks like NY is a state that allows it.

https://www.carinsurancecomparison.com/what-states-replace-windshields-for-free/
Sponsored