Sponsored

Windshield cracks & chips. Better replacement windshield in aftermarket?

OP
OP

BCan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I've had a similar Geico experience. My coverage was with Progressive and they literally have now taken Geico to court over paying a claim on my Model Y. I've owned or filed a claim with State Farm, Farmers, Progressive and Geico. Geico is the standout sleaze balls. The other three were fine.

Progressive even gave me the opportunity to add uncovered expenses I incurred to their Geico lawsuit.
Here in Oregon I was completely shocked when Progressive said that they offer insurance for the Rivian vehicles with zero deductible glass coverage. I was also pleasantly surprised with the total $$$ for the complete coverage. I went with Progressive after an ugly incident involving GEICO where they really tried to screw us over. We moved everything to Progressive after that. At the time it was our home, umbrella, XC90 and XC70. Selling the XC90 in Sept 2021 made the overall rate go UP! Adding the R1T only added a few hundred per 6 months.

I bring all of this up I seem to have joined the Rock Chip Party a few days ago when I wasn't even aware I was invited. Rivian pointed me at Safelite for a possible chip fix, but highly recommended a full windshield replacement. Problem is, Bellevue, WA is 5 hours away and the tow (or drive) would be on me.

To add more fun to the mix, the local Safelite locations are booked out through October. We are taking a road trip to Zephyr Cove in October and staying there for a few days. I may ask the local chip repair company (know them from living on the North Shore years ago) to do the fix. The chip is very low on the drivers side. So low that it cannot be seen from the drivers seat, so I don't think there will be any camera issues. But who knows? Not me, that's for sure.
I’ve had good luck going to the safelite location - they’ve gotten me in very quickly with the website showing a month + wait.
Sponsored

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
I’ve had good luck going to the safelite location - they’ve gotten me in very quickly with the website showing a month +I wait.
I wondered about that, as their whole website only BS is very, very off putting.

Thank you!

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

So I wonder if something like the ExoShield is worth getting on the Rivian. I have seen few posts now on the windshield breaking. Dont know if more fragile or upright, but I have seen this product floating around for a while dont know anyone who has utilized it though. Essentially a special ppf style film that goes over glass with the specific intent to prevent rock damage, scratches, etc.

My only concern would be how windshield wipers will work on it. Advert states they have a nano coating something like ceramic to help water bead off.

https://www.getexoshield.com/windshield-protection-film
Just got a quote on the Exoshield:

“Hello! Thank you for reaching out to us to work on your vehicle :) I am happy to provide you with an estimate. It will be $600 and we do have insurance for $150 insurance, will cover windshield and new Exo shield appliance.”

Only 2-4 year lifespan though. I might do it for now until Rivian windshields become more readily available, or perhaps improved. I have a $0 deductible on glass. That’s necessary in the Sonoran desert. Rocks and other debris are so common on the highways here.

Rivian R1T R1S Windshield cracks & chips. Better replacement windshield in aftermarket? 00F029CA-BE7A-402F-BDB7-CD607AE56328

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Just got a quote on the Exoshield:

“Hello! Thank you for reaching out to us to work on your vehicle :) I am happy to provide you with an estimate. It will be $600 and we do have insurance for $150 insurance, will cover windshield and new Exo shield appliance.”

Only 2-4 year lifespan though. I might do it for now until Rivian windshields become more readily available, or perhaps improved. I have a $0 deductible on glass. That’s necessary in the Sonoran desert. Rocks and other debris are so common on the highways here.

00F029CA-BE7A-402F-BDB7-CD607AE56328.jpeg
Oh interesting. Not a bad price if it does what it’s meant to do without causing issues to sensors windshield wipers and hopefully not peeling too easily.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
I’ve had good luck going to the safelite location - they’ve gotten me in very quickly with the website showing a month + wait.
And thank you again!

I happened to be in Salem for meetings and was able to swing up to the Safelite Keizer, OR location. They were crazy busy, but took pity on me and got me in and out within one and one-half hour. The fix is amazing and you have to look really, really hard to even tell that it's there. Great service and great price.

Color me a happy camper!

Sponsored

JMAG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Quad Limestone/OC; R1S LE/Launch Green/OC
Occupation
Executive
Clubs

Has anyone pulled the trigger on getting Exoshield installed? Seems like a lot but I hate the idea of not protecting the windsheld after planning to get the entire rest of the vehicle wrapped in ppf.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Most vehicles with cameras need to go to the dealer. Last I checked the franchises won't do a Tesla.

IMO it pays to quickly get an impact repaired before it becomes a crack, assuming its not in the sight line. Windshields on cars with cameras are expensive.
Just had the windshield on our Mazda replaced Fri, a tech came this morning to recalibrate the driver assist cam system.. took 10min. When he was done, I asked about the i3 and he said BMW's are easy.. he does them all the time. Then I pointed to the Model 3, and he said.. all the Tesla's go to Tesla for replacement windshields because of their advanced camera system. They will not touch Tesla's... Rivian's may end up the same way... Service Center only.

Last edited:
OP
OP

BCan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
When you call Rivian service…they will they will provide you authorized repair shops. You don’t necessarily have to go to a SC.
Sponsored