Sponsored

Windshield cracks & chips. Better replacement windshield in aftermarket?

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
^ That's a shame, I guess NY knows how crappy their roads are... Comprehensive which includes (but is not limited to) full glass coverage w/zero deductible is $50/6 months for even our big vehicle (Honda Pilot) and only $38/6 months on our Mazda.
Over the past 3yrs both BMW's and the Pilot have had their windshields replaced, the 2020 Mazda has already had 3X chip repairs and will get a full new winshield just prior to getting sold or traded in once my R1T gets delivered.
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I realize this is somewhat off topic, but since we are discussing windshield replacement already, I want to know what others here think.

Is it better to replace a cracked windshield (preferably with non-OEM glass because it's cheaper) prior to trading in a vehicle? In other words, will I get a slightly higher trade in value that would be at least worth the cost of the replacement? If not, I probably won't bother. TIA.

GR
Windshields are a consumable. The oem glsss is fuyao(a garbage company). If pilkington or PPG or one of the other quality names makes Rivian windshields and I have to replace one, I’d pick them over OEM.

nobody looks at the markings on glass when buying/selling.

going out of pocket to replace glass is insane to me, i have a $0 glsss deductible.

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Discovered a defect inside the glass on my windshield while it was being tinted. It’s definitely in the glass, not on the inside or outside. Directly in the drivers line of sight. Anywhere else on the window and I’d just live with it. I’ve submitted a service ticket to get it replaced.
Rivian R1T R1S Windshield cracks & chips. Better replacement windshield in aftermarket? FAD799FF-FF4A-4AFE-B951-BCE7B5A38829

Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
Wow, all of these windshield problems give me pause about getting a R1S. Windshield damage in Colorado is a frequent occurrence. At least with my Jeep it's only like $500. $1,700 for some crappy OEM windshield is ridiculous. Yes, both would tap you out on deductible usually but not sure how many $1,700 windshields your insurance company is going to buy before skyrocketing rates.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I had gotten a rock chip. A minor one. IMMEDIATELY called Safelite to have them come fix it, primarily to prevent it from cracking further. I figure it's going to happen again, so unless it becomes a bad crack (as appears to be the case with the OP), I'll just fix them. Many insurance companies will cover the cost of the repair. But, it's important to do it immediately so the crack doesn't get worse.

Sponsored

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

I’ve never been able to find an insurance company that offers any extra glass protection rider. It’s always been free Safelite repair or the cost of comprehensive deductible. It would be a no-brainer for me but sadly never in my state of residence.

ScottnAZ

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T (White,BM,22’s), 1966 C10 (SB,BBW,SBC327)
Occupation
Design/Build Remodel Contractor
Clubs

If you don’t mind, ask the SC if the windshield has been changed…or if they are the same windshield.
Was told there hasn’t been a change in the glass. Or I should say; the service center isn’t aware of any changes in the glass.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

I’ve found body on frame vehicles to be very forgiving of rock chips since the windshield isn’t providing structural integrity to the overall vehicle. Both my F150 and LR3 have had a chip in the windshield for years and they’ve never propagated, despite miles upon miles of rough road.

The Rivian windshield must have higher amounts of internal stress and the way they’ve glued to body to the frame must be contributing to the high sensitivity.

Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
I’ve found body on frame vehicles to be very forgiving of rock chips since the windshield isn’t providing structural integrity to the overall vehicle. Both my F150 and LR3 have had a chip in the windshield for years and they’ve never propagated, despite miles upon miles of rough road.

The Rivian windshield must have higher amounts of internal stress and the way they’ve glued to body to the frame must be contributing to the high sensitivity.
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Or the structure around the windshield is insufficiently designed and flexes too much which is really bad.

OP
OP

BCan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Or the structure around the windshield is insufficiently designed and flexes too much which is really bad.
This is interesting.

My second star crack…it was a pebble. No cars around…my wife didn’t even hear it.

I wonder if vehicles are being produced with windshields incorrectly mounted. Anyone had a 2nd windshield cracked?

Sponsored

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

This is interesting.

My second star crack…it was a pebble. No cars around…my wife didn’t even hear it.

I wonder if vehicles are being produced with windshields incorrectly mounted. Anyone had a 2nd windshield cracked?
I thought I recall someone here being in their 3rd

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
This really has nothing to do with the way the glass is mounted and with most newer vehicles that have good torsional rigidity, thermal stresses on the glass are probably the most significant contribution to crack propagation.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
This really has nothing to do with the way the glass is mounted and with most newer vehicles that have good torsional rigidity, thermal stresses on the glass are probably the most significant contribution to crack propagation.
I agree. Also, they have to manage roof crush on a very heavy vehicle. I doubt the windshield frame flexes to an unusual degree under a twisting load.

My model Y had a windshield hit and two flat tire in the first 4000 miles. Including one flat that needed a tire replacement. It happens. Like most people I normally go years without either problem.

While not specific to this issue, the new Munro video on the R1T body in white is interesting.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Here in Oregon I was completely shocked when Progressive said that they offer insurance for the Rivian vehicles with zero deductible glass coverage. I was also pleasantly surprised with the total $$$ for the complete coverage. I went with Progressive after an ugly incident involving GEICO where they really tried to screw us over. We moved everything to Progressive after that. At the time it was our home, umbrella, XC90 and XC70. Selling the XC90 in Sept 2021 made the overall rate go UP! Adding the R1T only added a few hundred per 6 months.

I bring all of this up as I seem to have joined the Rock Chip Party a few days ago when I wasn't even aware I was invited. Rivian pointed me at Safelite for a possible chip fix, but highly recommended a full windshield replacement. Problem is, Bellevue, WA is 5 hours away and the tow (or drive) would be on me.

To add more fun to the mix, the local Safelite locations are booked out through October. We are taking a road trip to Zephyr Cove in October and staying there for a few days. I may ask the local chip repair company (know them from living on the North Shore years ago) to do the fix. The chip is very low on the drivers side. So low that it cannot be seen from the drivers seat, so I don't think there will be any camera issues. But who knows? Not me, that's for sure.

Last edited:

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Here in Oregon I was completely shocked when Progressive said that they offer insurance for the Rivian vehicles with zero deductible glass coverage. I was also pleasantly surprised with the total $$$ for the complete coverage. I went with Progressive after an ugly incident involving GEICO where they really tried to screw us over. We moved everything to Progressive after that. At the time it was our home, umbrella, XC90 and XC70. Selling the XC90 in Sept 2021 made the overall rate go UP! Adding the R1T only added a few hundred per 6 months.

I bring all of this up I seem to have joined the Rock Chip Party a few days ago when I wasn't even aware I was invited. Rivian pointed me at Safelite for a possible chip fix, but highly recommended a full windshield replacement. Problem is, Bellevue, WA is 5 hours away and the tow (or drive) would be on me.

To add more fun to the mix, the local Safelite locations are booked out through October. We are taking a road trip to Zephyr Cove in October and staying there for a few days. I may ask the local chip repair company (know them from living on the North Shore years ago) to do the fix. The chip is very low on the drivers side. So low that it cannot be seen from the drivers seat, so I don't think there will be any camera issues. But who knows? Not me, that's for sure.
I've had a similar Geico experience. My coverage was with Progressive and they literally have now taken Geico to court over paying a claim on my Model Y. I've owned or filed a claim with State Farm, Farmers, Progressive and Geico. Geico is the standout sleaze balls. The other three were fine.

Progressive even gave me the opportunity to add uncovered expenses I incurred to their Geico lawsuit.
Sponsored