First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
I realize I'm late to the game.... but I finally put in an order today. I've spent the last 3 weeks reading as much as I could and I know they are now a bit behind schedule. Truth is I will be happy if I get the SUV around the end of 2021 or even early to mid 2022... Now I just need to hope they get back to work soon.... and the waiting game begins...

Rivian R1T R1S When Did You Pre-Order Your Rivian? Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 4.38.53 PM

Sponsored

Rford71

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda ridgeline, Audi TT
Occupation
Firefighter
September 27, 2019

Rob P

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Range Rover HSE Supercharged, 2014 BMW 650 convertible, 2014 Mercedes C class wife, 4 Dodge Rams trucks for work
Occupation
Own a Landscape and Christmas decorating company
April 2020 R1s. I wanted to see the Tesla truck before I put a deposit down. Late next year is fine and frankly I don't mind not being in the first batch from a brand new company. I wonder how many cancellations will come when the repercussions of Covid effect on the economy hit in the next year. A lot of ICE companies are offering aggressive incentives because they aren't moving cars.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Nov. 30, 2018.

I'm not worried about being in the first batch because it's Rivian.

The vehicles are not being rushed to market. Quite the opposite, in fact. There are many industry veterans on the Rivian team; RJ has a Ph.D. in automotive/mechanical engineering, meaning he's steeped in traditional auto industry knowledge; a lot of beta testing has already occurred, and not at the expense of early customers; early customers are likely to benefit from lot of attention and assistance if there are problems because first impressions are critical to market acceptance; and, there isn't anything especially cutting edge that might fail straight out of the box.

By now, whichever company supplies the batteries will be experienced; the motors, skateboard and suspension have been thoroughly tested and more or less continuously improved. Everything else is pretty straightforward or am I being too optimistic?

As others have pointed out, the biggest concern is service. Can you get service in a timely manner when you need it? I think it will depend on where you live, but RJ has said repeatedly that Rivian is expending a lot of time and energy on solving the service issue. I believe him.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
There will be issues that are not identified until the vehicles are in use at larger quantities.

I do believe the core drivetrain & suspension systems will be solid. I hope Rivian has a great software team, and do have faith they are the kind of company that will address the issues that will inevitably arise.

Sponsored

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
June 12th. R1S. I was close to making the same mistake again by buying another Tesla!

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
June 12th. R1S. I was close to making the same mistake again by buying another Tesla!
I have driven Tesla S and X a few times over the years but could not quit make the purchase. Every time I got close as I still do I would vist the Tesla forum. Many comments about problems and bad service. That alone cooled me off. Additionally the insults thrown around towards any opinion that didn't praise Tesla was attacked with insults and smart alec comment towards the person, If you don't love Tesla you are a troll.

OldEVGuy

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired
I'm wondering, for those just placing deposits now on the R1S, when they can expect delivery? Perhaps mid to late 2022?