Sponsored

What will we learn 6/7 - 6/13?

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

If (and this is a big if) having a service center is such a prerequisite, why did Rivian not skip the closed down west coast and build them in "open for business" states like Arizona / Texas / Florida? I presume all these states have large numbers of Rivian orders, too.

It is difficult for me to use Covid as a permitting delay excuse when life has gone on pretty much as normal in the South for the last (at least) 9 months. This just reads sloppy planning.
Sponsored

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
why did Rivian not skip the closed down west coast and build them in "open for business" cities / states like Arizona / Texas / Florida?
Construction was never closed down.

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
They haven't actually implied that. What they have stated, is that it isn't the only factor. Where you live and your exact configuration will also have an impact on when your vehicle gets delivered. They have been very clear about that. What they haven't done, is give us a system that would allow us to estimate when, at least relatively to others, we will receive our vehicles.
The sentence with the bold letters is truthful, but I only recall it being revealed within the past few months, maybe this year sometime? I don't recall Service Centers in the equation and thought it was more speculation amongst our members. I could be wrong about that.

For a couple of years, or more, I've been under the impression I might get my vehicle no later than August 2021, until the notice came out we were going to be delayed again. That's when I remember being in deep trouble because now configuration and Location came into play. Maybe I was supposed to have known, or should have known about that two years ago, but I didn't. I don't have the information in front of me and truthfully at this point I'm too exhausted to look. Won't do a bit of good even if I could provide it. If I'm wrong, so be it. I'm only letting off steam.:)

One final point: Depending on how closely Ford and Rivian are working together, it would be very easy for them to see which people have orders for both vehicles. I do. If Rivian is available to me first, I will also buy the F-150 Lightening. If the F-150 Lightening is available to me first, I won't get the Rivian.

Last edited:

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Construction was never closed down.
Just goes to my point. IF (again this is an assumption) the plan all along is for service centers to be the guiding principle for truck distribution, then why not build them early and often? If one location is causing delays, why not move on and build one somewhere else where it is easier? This should not be a rate limiting step.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I

In my case, I have never reserved a vehicle before. Maybe I should have researched it more. My mistake. In the next paragraph, why would they even bring up "losing your place in line", if it's not important? Why didn't they bring up location being a factor at this time? They certainly didn't imply that configuration would be a factor.

One example: Rivian sent this email Dec 21, 2020, as follows:

"You can now upgrade your R1T Launch Edition configuration with our new 20" All-Terrain Dark or 22" Sport Dark wheel options. While you’re at it, feel free to update your configuration — switch your model, paint color, interior and more — without losing your place in line for delivery. Just log into your account via the link below, click into your vehicle summary and scroll down to “Update Configuration” to get started."

I'm trying to justify the bold print above as a truthful statement. At that particular time, Dec 21st, I still had no idea what "your place in line for delivery" was, other than your reservation number. Best I recall, I only found out recently that location and configuration takes priority over your reservation number. The words in bold print above doesn't read to me that configuration will take priority above "your place in line", but it does take priority, if "your place in line" means "Reservation Number". Or, is this another special meaning where it means whatever Rivian defines it as? IOW, "your place in line" means whenever we tell you it will be.

I know I have to wait like everyone else. If I want a Rivian, I have to accept any and all future delays they may have planned, like it or not. There is absolutely nothing I can do about it but take whatever they decide to dish out, whether I think it's fair or not. Nothing I can do, or say, will change my situation. It is frustrating to say the least. I guess you can call it complaining. Sorry. I'm definitely not pleased with what's going on, but I'm still holding my reservation.
What you’re missing is that they said you won’t lose your place in line. They didn’t say you wouldn’t be put into a different line! The Rivian “fanboys” on here (ie. those very vocal few who think simply by ordinance that Rivian can do no wrong) will say “you should have known that’s what they meant you idiot!”.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Just goes to my point. IF (again this is an assumption) the plan all along is for service centers to be the guiding principle for truck distribution, then why not build them early and often? If one location is causing delays, why not move on and build one somewhere else where it is easier? This should not be a rate limiting step.
I doubt service centers are actually the cause for this June to July delay. Just because they may be targeting initial deliveries where service centers will be earlier doesn't imply they're a limiting step in deliveries. It just informs *where* they may send vehicles first.

AleCS

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Audi SQ5
Occupation
Business Owner
I did stop by the new service center in Bellevue, WA and snapped these photos. I asked a worker what was their timeline and he looked at me like “in your dreams pal”. No information was provided.

Rivian R1T R1S What will we learn 6/7 - 6/13? 6A7F00CD-4D3D-4CD4-A0A2-2F129F6BD728

Rivian R1T R1S What will we learn 6/7 - 6/13? 719F4439-8EB8-43C7-92C3-66ADB32ED975

Rivian R1T R1S What will we learn 6/7 - 6/13? 01BEBB1D-507A-48F7-ADD2-9D8397C0BC38

Rivian R1T R1S What will we learn 6/7 - 6/13? 9E0B2A5B-D050-41E9-8429-E2E0F54D2E0D

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I did stop by the new service center in Bellevue, WA and snapped these photos. I asked a worker what was their timeline and he looked at me like “in your dreams pal”. No information was provided.

6A7F00CD-4D3D-4CD4-A0A2-2F129F6BD728.jpeg

719F4439-8EB8-43C7-92C3-66ADB32ED975.jpeg

01BEBB1D-507A-48F7-ADD2-9D8397C0BC38.jpeg

9E0B2A5B-D050-41E9-8429-E2E0F54D2E0D.jpeg
I dropped by therr about two weeks ago and the construction fencing was still up. It didn't look like they really had anything inside yet at the time. Looks like they've made a good amount of progress.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

It looks like it could open tomorrow if need be. They might be planning to use it as a training center for the next couple months before they have any customers to deal with.

AleCS

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Audi SQ5
Occupation
Business Owner
It looks like it could open tomorrow if need be. They might be planning to use it as a training center for the next couple months before they have any customers to deal with.
That means we will be able to see the vehicles form the outside at least! Yesss!

Sponsored

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
I asked a worker what was their timeline and he looked at me like “in your dreams pal”.
Lol thanks for asking anyway!

AleCS

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Audi SQ5
Occupation
Business Owner
I dropped by therr about two weeks ago and the construction fencing was still up.
The fence was up but the front gate was opened, so I drove in. I use a reflective vest at work so I guess they thought I was another contractor working on site. Haha. Those orange vests come handy every now and then. Lol

Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T!
Clubs

The fence was up but the front gate was opened, so I drove in. I use a reflective vest at work so I guess they thought I was another contractor working on site. Haha. Those orange vests come handy every now and then. Lol
LOL. With friends like us, who needs enemies? Rivian shouldn't worry so much about competitors as their own customers with idle hands. If only there was a substantive update this week to otherwise preoccupy us...

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
LOL. With friends like us, who needs enemies? Rivian shouldn't worry so much about competitors as their own customers with idle hands. If only there was a substantive update this week to otherwise preoccupy us...
As any other LE preorder holder, we are curious. My wife and I were travelling back from a trip to South Dakota in our Winnebago View, and stopped by the factory in Normal just to lay some eyeballs on the place. It was Friday afternoon before Memorial Day, about quitting time. The front gate was open, so we drove on in, and shouted to three hard hat wearing workers leaving the place, "take the rest of the weekend off!" They just laughed, but the security guard was quick to drive up in his truck, asked us not to take any photos, and leave. We obliged. They are really keeping things tight for now. Guess they are really worried about espionage from competitors, and NOT ready for any visitors at this time. We will see soon, as Rivian Guides and CS agents say. Have to be patient, as much as we can. It's Thursday, so maybe they will throw us a bone today. If there are any issues with safety or supply problems, let's understand, like in surgery, it's more important to get things done right, than fast.

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

You're probably correct in your assessment of what is probably going to happen. In addition:

My opinion is Rivian should have had their service infrastructure in place prior to production and then honor your place in line. The way it is being handled now will create more unhappiness, especially amongst your long time reservation holders (including me). There is wiggle room, but not for orders several months beyond your order date.

I saw in another thread, where someone was contacted by a guide today and his order date was Jan 2020, nearly a year after mine Feb 2019. If that goes over well with early pre-order holders I'll certainly be surprised. If I ordered a Rivian today, my perspective would be totally different. At least I would know reservation number means very little, if anything at all. I didn't know that 2 yr. 4 months ago.
This is just not practical. You cannot spend millions without any revenue coming in to replenish the well. Would it have been better if Rivian refused orders from areas where they do not have coverage and don't plan to have it in the next few years? I look at it like that local pizza joint that everyone loves, but only has a limited delivery area. They just refuse deliver orders if you are outside the delivery area. The flaw in Rivian's logic is people move and vehicles travel. When you need service you could end up being a long way away from a service center. They are banking on most purchasers staying local. I think this is more out of necessity than anything else. It's an approach to roll out and I for one am not in the know to second guess it.
Sponsored