First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
From a business perspective, if they have all of the LEs delivered in areas with support coverage and LEs waiting in areas with no support coverage, it would not make sense to hold deliveries of non-LEs in the interim as they build out the support infrastructure in the other areas.

They said LEs are priority delivery so as the new areas get coverage the LEs would be the first ones in those locations.

I would expect non-LEs to be pushed out as well, but would be surprised if none are delivered before all of the LEs are delivered to the more remote areas.
Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

I agree. The importance and seemingly pre-requisite aspect of a "local" Rivian support center will likely cause non-LE's to go out ahead of later LE's meant for far-away places. For instance the PNW will see the first non-LE's almost for sure.

Its the situation and importance given to these Rivian centers that can be haunting... much discussion about how challenging and prolonged it can be getting them constructed. The idea that a half dozen to a dozen of these are going to go from infant (or concept) stage to open for business by year's end seems a bit far-fetched to me.

MBuster

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, R1S (waiting for Max Pack)
Occupation
Construction
They did not have deadline only target for when delivery start. If your truck break too bad so sad but not Rivian fault.
The never make any promise to anyone on delivery date and still have not so not sure how you can say they gave you date for yours you were counting on. They always say that I have seen that location and what you want will impact your truck. Move to Seattle before and maybe you be higher in line or maybe not I don't know when or what you order. But too much wah wah I am victim of Rivian everyone should feel sorry for me.
I think I do not like this group so much as I want to. Some here give good info but too many just complain about stuff. Too much of that is also wait until actual order and give money before it matters or need to know now is just selfish feelings cause you don;t really it can wait.

I say goodbye now not worth time here to sort thru loud people with bad feelings that claim they are speeking for most people when I don;t think so. Maybe other Rivian group more helpful less argue

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
My suburban had 200k miles on it in January (we drive a lot). I went to a dealership and purchased a used Expedition to hold me over until I had my Rivian. I don't recall crying on this forum about it. Sounds like the mistake is on you, not Rivian. They didn't say, Mr.Peashooter, your vehicle will be delivered on xx/xx date, so just hang in there with your Yukon.

Best of luck.

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
From a business perspective, if they have all of the LEs delivered in areas with support coverage and LEs waiting in areas with no support coverage, it would not make sense to hold deliveries of non-LEs in the interim as they build out the support infrastructure in the other areas.

They said LEs are priority delivery so as the new areas get coverage the LEs would be the first ones in those locations.

I would expect non-LEs to be pushed out as well, but would be surprised if none are delivered before all of the LEs are delivered to the more remote areas.
You're probably correct in your assessment of what is probably going to happen. In addition:

My opinion is Rivian should have had their service infrastructure in place prior to production and then honor your place in line. The way it is being handled now will create more unhappiness, especially amongst your long time reservation holders (including me). There is wiggle room, but not for orders several months beyond your order date.

I saw in another thread, where someone was contacted by a guide today and his order date was Jan 2020, nearly a year after mine Feb 2019. If that goes over well with early pre-order holders I'll certainly be surprised. If I ordered a Rivian today, my perspective would be totally different. At least I would know reservation number means very little, if anything at all. I didn't know that 2 yr. 4 months ago.

Reactions: Rad

Sponsored

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Raptor, Rivian Reservation 13##
I'm guessing that when a person reserved will only hold any importance if the reservation holder is close to a soon-to-open Rivian service center. Perhaps the proper perspective for early reservation holders is to assume that when they reserved does not give any other advantage as to when they will receive a vehicle. I think Rivian has implied as much.

Maybe with this company the assumption of early in line, first to receive, isn't realistic.

As a reservation holder since 2018 I'll hold onto my reservation even if, as I suspect, my vehicle is probably at least (if not longer) a year away. I'll hold, unless I can realistically get another compelling electric truck sooner or if Rivian looks to be even further behind and does not communicate better.

Imho, all the signs point to delivery timelines going far beyond early August or November for most of us (LE holders).

MBuster

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Construction
I'm guessing that when a person reserved will only hold any importance if the reservation holder is close to a soon-to-open Rivian service center. Perhaps the proper perspective for early reservation holders is to assume that when they reserved does not give any other advantage as to when they will receive a vehicle. I think Rivian has implied as much.

Maybe with this company the assumption of early in line, first to receive, isn't realistic.

As a reservation holder since 2018 I'll hold onto my reservation even if, as I suspect, my vehicle is probably at least (if not longer) a year away. I'll hold, unless I can realistically get another compelling electric truck sooner or if Rivian looks to be even further behind and does not communicate better.

Imho, all the signs point to delivery timelines going far beyond early August or November for most of us (LE holders).
Most company this is the case like Tesla Model 3. Only highest $$ trim matter and first only in CA no matter when you deposit. Later to other areas and then down to lower trims. By the time they got to the low version anyone could get at the same time and those that had reservation had no benefit.
Some company announce a certain version first and take order for those with promise of first delivery like the mustang and hummer but they have locations to do this with. Ioniq 5 going to limited areas first even though they have dealer everywhere. Polestar only near their service center or you on hook to get it back if problem. Rivian want to make sure all can be service where they sell and that will take some time. Some say build lots of centers to sit empty and hire lots of service to sit around so they can process in exact order they got. But this not good and also mean they must hand built each one to exact what customer order. I never expect that and surprised that some did.
I always know that they will bring them to certain area first and only certain type. Nothing is different and they have not messed that up. Some people get contact before others but maybe not delivery sooner. If you live in right area you might get later contact but sooner delivery we don't know how guides are doing this. Must wait more to know more. some it is too hard for and they move on or scream or both.

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I
....Perhaps the proper perspective for early reservation holders is to assume that when they reserved does not give any other advantage as to when they will receive a vehicle. I think Rivian has implied as much.
In my case, I have never reserved a vehicle before. Maybe I should have researched it more. My mistake. In the next paragraph, why would they even bring up "losing your place in line", if it's not important? Why didn't they bring up location being a factor at this time? They certainly didn't imply that configuration would be a factor.

One example: Rivian sent this email Dec 21, 2020, as follows:

"You can now upgrade your R1T Launch Edition configuration with our new 20" All-Terrain Dark or 22" Sport Dark wheel options. While you’re at it, feel free to update your configuration — switch your model, paint color, interior and more — without losing your place in line for delivery. Just log into your account via the link below, click into your vehicle summary and scroll down to “Update Configuration” to get started."

I'm trying to justify the bold print above as a truthful statement. At that particular time, Dec 21st, I still had no idea what "your place in line for delivery" was, other than your reservation number. Best I recall, I only found out recently that location and configuration takes priority over your reservation number. The words in bold print above doesn't read to me that configuration will take priority above "your place in line", but it does take priority, if "your place in line" means "Reservation Number". Or, is this another special meaning where it means whatever Rivian defines it as? IOW, "your place in line" means whenever we tell you it will be.

I know I have to wait like everyone else. If I want a Rivian, I have to accept any and all future delays they may have planned, like it or not. There is absolutely nothing I can do about it but take whatever they decide to dish out, whether I think it's fair or not. Nothing I can do, or say, will change my situation. It is frustrating to say the least. I guess you can call it complaining. Sorry. I'm definitely not pleased with what's going on, but I'm still holding my reservation.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Perhaps the proper perspective for early reservation holders is to assume that when they reserved does not give any other advantage as to when they will receive a vehicle. I think Rivian has implied as much.
They haven't actually implied that. What they have stated, is that it isn't the only factor. Where you live and your exact configuration will also have an impact on when your vehicle gets delivered. They have been very clear about that. What they haven't done, is give us a system that would allow us to estimate when, at least relatively to others, we will receive our vehicles.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

I mean really, why can't Rivian post a generic USA map with pins for each planned Rivian service center and then draw a perimeter around them. Indicate the best estimated opening date for each. That alone would satiate some of the uncertainty.

Sponsored

MBuster

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Construction
I mean really, why can't Rivian post a generic USA map with pins for each planned Rivian service center and then draw a perimeter around them. Indicate the best estimated opening date for each. That alone would satiate some of the uncertainty.
There seems to be thoughts that deliveries depend on service center but Rivian never said that only service availability. Hear over and over this about service center in many places here. Rivian only said that service available before deliver and they have hired service people in markets already and have opening for remote as well. People want to read too much into statement sometime. Service available can be either mobile tech or building nearby so no reason to assume building must be there for delivery.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

@MountainBikeDude @sevengroove my last post was just another rant stemming from my lack of placing immediate pre-orders for either the Ford Lightning or Hyundai Ioniq 5 (I have since reserverd both at much later likely delivery dates) at the time they came available I incorrectly believed all launch editions would be delivered this year.
At the end of the day I doubt any of us would be so passionate as to waste our time on a message board and stress incessantly if Rivian didn't have such a compelling kick ass truck and SUV coming soon. While I stand by my critizism of RJ, I will admit it is made out of selfishness and I also think what he and his team created is superior to anything on the horizon from competitors.
No worries dude, we're all eagerly anticipating delivery. Rant away! In the end I think we all are to pass the time. Haha

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think I may be the one who's cryin'. I'm unhappy for sure, but tomorrow will be a better day, until I see another guide reach out to someone with a pre-order date in 2020. I'm hoping that guy made a mistake and meant to type Jan 2019, instead of 2020. No reservation forfeit for me. :)
Sponsored

Reactions: Rad