What will we learn 5/17-5/23?

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 performance, Toyota 4runner
They have stated exactly what is happening - guides will contact the first LE customers in May, and some R1T LEs will be shipped in June.
There is absolutely nothing to indicate that this will not occur.

Rivian promised you nothing when you put your $1K down - not a specific place in line, nothing specific about the vehicle, and not even the opportunity to purchase one later. Reading comprehension is becoming a lost skill.

Each Preorder you submit for a Vehicle acts as a deposit for a future purchase of the Vehicle. You are under no obligation to purchase a Vehicle from us, and we are under no obligation to supply you with a Vehicle.
These Terms do not constitute an agreement for the sale of a Vehicle and do not lock in pricing, a firm production slot, a firm delivery date, or specific Vehicle configuration. To complete the purchase or lease of a Vehicle, you will need to execute Rivian’s standard Order Agreement and Agreement to Purchase (“Final Sales Agreement”) which will include additional terms and conditions, including the final price sheet for the vehicle you ultimately select (“Your Selected Vehicle”). The Order Agreement and Final Sales Agreement may be made with another Rivian entity. Additional payment for Your Selected Vehicle, including taxes and other governmental fees, will be required at that time.
We may decline Preorders to avoid over-subscription or as we deem appropriate in our sole discretion. If your Preorder is declined, you will be notified and your Preorder payment will be refunded.
https://rivian.com/legal/preorder-agreement

Rivian will release their vehicles, people will pay and get their product.
I was told that the earlier I place my order the sooner I would get my truck when I spoke with them at the LA auto Show. I was also told about the advanced tailgate. And here is the most important thing that was promised and taken away, said both on an email when I placed my pre-order as well as in a PR release:
Please Note: Preorders require a deposit of $1,000. Production will begin in 2020. Fully-equipped vehicles with the highest performance level and largest battery pack will enter production first. Our 180 kWh and 135 kWh packs will be available at launch with the 105 kWh to follow in 2021.

https://stories.rivian.com/have-yourself-a-merry-little-electric-adventure

So, you can't say that Rivian promised me "nothing", as that would be an inaccurate statement and I can do without your insult also.
Sponsored

E Parx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I was told that the earlier I place my order the sooner I would get my truck when I spoke with them at the LA auto Show. I was also told about the advanced tailgate. And here is the most important thing that was promised and taken away, said both on an email when I placed my pre-order as well as in a PR release:
Please Note: Preorders require a deposit of $1,000. Production will begin in 2020. Fully-equipped vehicles with the highest performance level and largest battery pack will enter production first. Our 180 kWh and 135 kWh packs will be available at launch with the 105 kWh to follow in 2021.

https://stories.rivian.com/have-yourself-a-merry-little-electric-adventure

So, you can't say that Rivian promised me "nothing", as that would be an inaccurate statement and I can do without your insult also.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that would have been before Covid, no?

Like DucRider pointed out, the fine print said subject to change and a global pandemic certainly would fit the bill as a legitimate reason for a delay.

All others manufacturers have been delayed. For example, the C8 Z06 was supposed to come out LAST YEAR and we still don't even know full specs or a release date. The Stingray was already out so they already had a lot of development completed and Chevy certainly is no startup putting out their first vehicles.

I'm still in the underpromise and overdeliver group but only time will tell if this limited info truly is a cause for concern...

Last edited:

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

Like DucRider said, the fine print said subject to change and a global pandemic certainly would fit the bill as a legitimate reason for a delay.

All others manufacturers have been delayed. For example, the C8 Z06 was supposed to come out LAST YEAR and we still don't even know full specs or a release date. The Stingray was already out so they already had a lot of development completed and Chevy certainly is no startup putting out their first vehicles.

I'm still in the under promise and overdeliver group but only time will tell if this limited info truly is a cause for concern...
There are also many mainstream manufacturers in the news that are delivering vehicles missing some of the newer high tech (read very profitable) features because of supply constraints related to chip manufacturing.

Automakers sacrifice some high-tech features to cope with chip crunch (detroitnews.com)

Chip shortage forces carmakers to leave out some high-end features | The Seattle Times

Tesla had a good run even with the chip shortages but it is now impacting deliveries of their latest Model S and Model X changes.

Tesla Delays Deliveries Of Model S and Model X | CarBuzz

Sponsored

E Parx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
There are also many mainstream manufacturers in the news that are delivering vehicles missing some of the newer high tech (read very profitable) features because of supply constraints related to chip manufacturing.
Good point. It's going to take years for supply chains to fully recover from all this and it affected all manufacturers including Tesla as you mentioned. Look at lumber prices and the housing shortage. There's currently no end in sight.

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
If we have gotten to a point where it takes legalize to defend an aspirational lifestyle company in dissuasions amount some of its most ardent supporters I think that company has a problem. As a R1T LE reservation holder I don't expect delivery until late 2021 and that's okay. But as a unsecured creditor I would appreciate a higher level of communications

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 performance, Toyota 4runner

Like DucRider pointed out, the fine print said subject to change and a global pandemic certainly would fit the bill as a legitimate reason for a delay.

I'm still in the underpromise and overdeliver group but only time will tell if this limited info truly is a cause for concern...
For me, I am not looking at the "legal" document.... If I do not like what I see, I will get my deposit back. This isn't a legalese thing for me. It is what I have been told by company reps, and emails I got. So, there were promises made, and if I don't like it, I won't buy it. Plain and simple.

But to tell me that I can't comprehend what I read and that Rivian promised me nothing, that is not the truth.....

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Not to sound like Captain Obvious, but It seems that many here are suffering fatigue similar to what I'm feeling. I keep telling myself this pandemic and all of the downstream ramifications will continue to plague us for quite some time. The chip shortage is but one of the more critical things to further impact this process. Likely, it will not be the last. Hopefully, the lumber shortage won't impact the availability and cost of our wood trim. ?

All things considered, it would be nice to hear more on a regular basis. Anything, on a regular basis, would be very welcome, no matter how small. The lack of info seems to erode the connection between the company and its future customers....us. I'm not looking for Tesla-like pyrotechnics and sledgehammers, just a regular flow of information as to how this process is evolving and what we might expect going forward. Rivian (through their "Communications" department) could logically and rightfully ascribe many of the issues they're dealing with to the pandemic. I'd love to have something rolled out on a weekly basis, rather than having tidbits rolled out weakly.

There! Now I feel better, and still have $.98 left over......

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
They have stated exactly what is happening - guides will contact the first LE customers in May, and some R1T LEs will be shipped in June.
"first LE customers in May" and "some R1T LEs in June" are far from exact statements.

I'll agree with @DuckTruck that your vulcan-like approach to assessing their communications is commendable, but it would be foolish of Rivian to assume that their entire customer base is non-human. They need a communications strategy that accounts for the variation of comfort level that different customers have.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
"first LE customers in May" and "some R1T LEs in June" are far from exact statements.

I'll agree with @DuckTruck that your vulcan-like approach to assessing their communications is commendable, but it would be foolish of Rivian to assume that their entire customer base is non-human. They need a communications strategy that accounts for the variation of comfort level that different customers have.
I think you could have left it at this...

"They need a communications strategy"

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I think you could have left it at this...

"They need a communications strategy"
They have one. We just don't like it right now.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
They have one. We just don't like it right now.
Perhaps....

I went through my 20s without a life plan. I later realized the lack of a defined plan is in fact still a plan...
Sponsored