Sponsored

What will we learn 5/17-5/23?

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Rivian is truly the worst customer engagement and marketing/comms of any company I've ever tried to do business with.
Apple is a very successful company that uses a similar strategy. They reveal nothing until they reveal everything and are ready to go. Let the fans speculate and generate all the hype.

It may be a bad approach for our collective emotional stability, but my bet is their long-term profitability will reflect well on the way they've chosen to play their cards.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jjwolf120

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
If the bar is on the ground, it's easier to clear it. On the other hand, it's easier to be on the ground if you trip coming out of a bar.
Sounds like something Ron White might say.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Sure wish Rivian would disclose the number of Launch Editions they allocated for both R1T & R1S.
With as fast as they sold out it cant be many.

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
The problem with this type of post is that they tend to get a life of their own and get picked up and repeated - eventually becoming "news".

This post actually meets the legal definition for libel.

I realize the intent was humor, but some people would not recognize it as such.
I would LOVE for this clearly humorous timeline to get picked up and be reported as real. That would at least force Rivian to set the record straight with what's actually happening.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Apple is a very successful company that uses a similar strategy. They reveal nothing until they reveal everything and are ready to go. Let the fans speculate and generate all the hype.

It may be a bad approach for our collective emotional stability, but my bet is their long-term profitability will reflect well on the way they've chosen to play their cards.
I don't disagree, it is similar. But I don't wait years dreaming and saving to buy a new iphone.

For me at least, I think there's a major difference in my expectations for info prior to purchase of an $800 phone versus my expectations for an $80,000 truck.

Either way. I remain excited, just annoyed.

OP
OP
jjwolf120

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
With as fast as they sold out it cant be many.
Since people have been reserving them for two years before they could be configured, I wouldn't make that assumption. This of course depends on the definition of many.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

@peashooter How in the hell did you get a seat at that table? Scheduling like that is critical and many would consider highly confidential. Now that you have spilled the beans (on a public forum), I seriously doubt they will ever invite you back! :CWL:

MurryR1T

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T delivered 3-24-22

Rivian is no Apple, Apple has consistently delivered.

IMO The strategy Apple utilizes only works due to the strength of the company brand. As someone stated earlier very few outside of this community even recognizes the Rivian name.

Sponsored

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 performance, Toyota 4runner

While you can talk about similarities, the one major difference is that Apple didn't take $1k from you 2 1/2 years ago promising you a place in line for a Launch Edition iPhone that has less features than was promised when you put your money down.

They release it and you pay once you get your product.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Sounds like something Ron White might say.
"So, did you jump?" The whole thing is great comedy, but you'll find this reference to one of my favorite Ron White jokes at the 3:25 mark. Great way to start the week. The joke, that is.....

Enjoy,

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I would LOVE for this clearly humorous timeline to get picked up and be reported as real. That would at least force Rivian to set the record straight with what's actually happening.
They have stated exactly what is happening - guides will contact the first LE customers in May, and some R1T LEs will be shipped in June.
There is absolutely nothing to indicate that this will not occur.
While you can talk about similarities, the one major difference is that Apple didn't take $1k from you 2 1/2 years ago promising you a place in line for a Launch Edition iPhone that has less features than was promised when you put your money down.

They release it and you pay once you get your product.
Rivian promised you nothing when you put your $1K down - not a specific place in line, nothing specific about the vehicle, and not even the opportunity to purchase one later. Reading comprehension is becoming a lost skill.

Each Preorder you submit for a Vehicle acts as a deposit for a future purchase of the Vehicle. You are under no obligation to purchase a Vehicle from us, and we are under no obligation to supply you with a Vehicle.
These Terms do not constitute an agreement for the sale of a Vehicle and do not lock in pricing, a firm production slot, a firm delivery date, or specific Vehicle configuration. To complete the purchase or lease of a Vehicle, you will need to execute Rivianā€™s standard Order Agreement and Agreement to Purchase (ā€œFinal Sales Agreementā€) which will include additional terms and conditions, including the final price sheet for the vehicle you ultimately select (ā€œYour Selected Vehicleā€). The Order Agreement and Final Sales Agreement may be made with another Rivian entity. Additional payment for Your Selected Vehicle, including taxes and other governmental fees, will be required at that time.
We may decline Preorders to avoid over-subscription or as we deem appropriate in our sole discretion. If your Preorder is declined, you will be notified and your Preorder payment will be refunded.
https://rivian.com/legal/preorder-agreement

Rivian will release their vehicles, people will pay and get their product.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

FF15454A-9C0F-4DC5-AA8D-17A5CCFA246A.gif

I miss MadTV ā€¦ ?
This looks like a recent Presidential Campaign ad, but I remember them walking towards the camera..... Hmmm.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

They have stated exactly what is happening - guides will contact the first LE customers in May, and some R1T LEs will be shipped in June.
There is absolutely nothing to indicate that this will not occur.

Rivian promised you nothing when you put your $1K down - not a specific place in line, nothing specific about the vehicle, and not even the opportunity to purchase one later. Reading comprehension is becoming a lost skill.

Each Preorder you submit for a Vehicle acts as a deposit for a future purchase of the Vehicle. You are under no obligation to purchase a Vehicle from us, and we are under no obligation to supply you with a Vehicle.
These Terms do not constitute an agreement for the sale of a Vehicle and do not lock in pricing, a firm production slot, a firm delivery date, or specific Vehicle configuration. To complete the purchase or lease of a Vehicle, you will need to execute Rivianā€™s standard Order Agreement and Agreement to Purchase (ā€œFinal Sales Agreementā€) which will include additional terms and conditions, including the final price sheet for the vehicle you ultimately select (ā€œYour Selected Vehicleā€). The Order Agreement and Final Sales Agreement may be made with another Rivian entity. Additional payment for Your Selected Vehicle, including taxes and other governmental fees, will be required at that time.
We may decline Preorders to avoid over-subscription or as we deem appropriate in our sole discretion. If your Preorder is declined, you will be notified and your Preorder payment will be refunded.
https://rivian.com/legal/preorder-agreement

Rivian will release their vehicles, people will pay and get their product.
DucRider,

I mean this as very high praise for your insights. You are very Spock-like in your logical approach to most everything I've seen from you over these past few years. Like others here, I sometimes get upset at how this process seems to be going sideways, only to be brought back to reality by one of your observations. Thanks for being that calm voice of reason.

Live long and prosper ?
Sponsored