What mapping system is Rivian using?

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
Tesla used google maps data and built their nav on top of it (pretty sure they still do, but I don't own a Tesla). So this is not accurate. Not to even mention that you can use google maps via apple car play on every car, which is obviously not Android based.
And Google writes the app, not Apple...
The app runs on the mobile device, not natively on the car.
Sponsored

irfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
No CarPlay is still the only potential deal breaker for me.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
No CarPlay is still the only potential deal breaker for me.
I am old and never used AndroidAuto or AppleCar play. My Ram supports it (wired connection), but I just use the in car Nav and paired Spotify in there for tunes.

Same in my Tesla, I just use the in car Nav and the built in Spotify, InTune (mixed bag there), Streaming, and FM radio.

I totally understand why folks want it though (lots of goodies on there that are not natively supported in most vehicle options).

I will note, most reviews I saw/read did hammer Rivian on it, so "maybe" they will add it later on? I am by no means a subject matter expert on these, so I'm not sure if there are any hardware dependencies, or if a OTA update could add it.

Iwannarivian

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Panamera 4, Wrangler, MB C250, Civic Sport
Occupation
pretending to be retired
Clubs

It's definitely very disappointing CarPlay / Android Auto aren't available but I can (somewhat, maybe?) rationalize that. However, if the only mapping option is Mapbox or TomTom... It may be a deal breaker for me. (and a looottttt of other people)

Hear me out:
Clearly the Rivian team is design driven -- They have done a pretty remarkable job building a very forward thinking car.
Unfortunately, as much utility and enjoyment i'll get from features like the gear tunnel, I will use a map 50x more often. Good directions are paramount, especially on long drives. (Google Maps and Waze have all of the live data from current Cars on the road. The others are nowhere near as competitive.) If you have driven a BMWs you know how bad Mapbox nav is is compared to Google Maps.

Rivian team... I assume even YOU prefer Google Maps/waze etc. It obviously is an Amazon push. Blink twice if we should start a petition or let us know how we can help.

I think this is way more important than Rivian understands. You can create a great car but If the foundational needs aren't met.. it's not worth it. I honestly may even prefer Apple Maps to mapbox or Tomtom lol.

I honestly can't even believe I'm still considering a vehicle with a 20 inch screen and i'll STILL have to get a phone mount for directions.
Apple Maps ARE TomTom maps…open up Maps on your iphone, click the map type in top right corner, now look at bottom of screen…..BTW these seem perfectly fine to me.

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Apple Maps ARE TomTom maps…open up Maps on your iphone, click the map type in top right corner, now look at bottom of screen…..BTW these seem perfectly fine to me.
I believe Apple uses some data from TomTom and from OpenStreetMaps as well as many other sources, depending on the market and area. They also have a very robust set of their own data. They are simply supplementing their data with outside sources based on how much they have of their own for a particular area.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Apple licenses data from TomTom, among other sources. The maps are not TomTom, however.

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
I will note, most reviews I saw/read did hammer Rivian on it, so "maybe" they will add it later on? I am by no means a subject matter expert on these, so I'm not sure if there are any hardware dependencies, or if a OTA update could add it.
CarPlay has a hardware requirement (authentication chip, licensed by Apple), while Android Auto is a software only implementation aside from the transport layer hardware such as USB.

irfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Is that true? My Range Rover initially didn’t have it and then it got an update that added it a couple years later.

i use a wireless adapter for it, which is how all CarPlay should be. Wireless CarPlay is amazing.

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist
I think people vastly misunderstand the influence Amazon has in Rivian's product design. I'm willing to bet $1000 Amazon had absolutely no final decision in anything product-wise with Rivian.

As for the Alexa integration, they would have had to build voice control into the car one way or another since every car has it. Why not use an out-of-the-box solution from one of the most popular and well-supported virtual assistants that's already on the market, saving you tons of time in the process?

As someone who works on a product team, choosing an Alexa integration for my vehicle product would have been a no-brainer decision with or without Amazon.
So...Google Assistant...the best assistant wouldn't be the no brainier? Weird.

Sponsored

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist
CarPlay has a hardware requirement (authentication chip, licensed by Apple), while Android Auto is a software only implementation aside from the transport layer hardware such as USB.
Really hoping for AA as an option. I may end up cancelling or delaying my order until I get confirmation on this being available in the future. Polestar did it right.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Really hoping for AA as an option. I may end up cancelling or delaying my order until I get confirmation on this being available in the future. Polestar did it right.
Highly doubtful it will ever happen.

I'm keeping an eye on the Polestar 3 for this very reason. If I don't have or don't like my R1S LE, it could become an option.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I just realized why I don't care about Waze as much as I used to. I generally don't speed fast enough to get pulled over because going over 80 mph on the freeway absolutely destroys the range in my Bolt. I suspect the Rivian won't be much different.

Lucanjo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis G80, Honda Ridgeline, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I am a huge AA/CP user and have told myself I would never buy a car without it. That being said, I just picked up a ridgeline to hold me over and give to my daughter when the R1T comes in and the head unit keeps randomly dropped the CP connection. I need to turn the car off and open a door to have it restart to come back (difficult on the hwy). I end up screwing with the phone and cable more than I should but Waze rerouting has saved me countless hours of sitting in traffic. So it’s not without its downsides. I am starting to look forward to a more streamline and integrated experience. Obviously everyone’s value proposition is different but for me, as long as the maps/nav SW has traffic and rerouting abilities on par with google/Waze I’d be happy. I steam music from Amazon music HD and can easily switch to whatever streaming service they offer. Text message integration will likely be worse but people can wait until I get to where I am going or stop at a light. If they really need me they’ll just call.
Sponsored