What mapping system is Rivian using?

MountainWaves

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5
It's definitely very disappointing CarPlay / Android Auto aren't available but I can (somewhat, maybe?) rationalize that. However, if the only mapping option is Mapbox or TomTom... It may be a deal breaker for me. (and a looottttt of other people)

Hear me out:
Clearly the Rivian team is design driven -- They have done a pretty remarkable job building a very forward thinking car.
Unfortunately, as much utility and enjoyment i'll get from features like the gear tunnel, I will use a map 50x more often. Good directions are paramount, especially on long drives. (Google Maps and Waze have all of the live data from current Cars on the road. The others are nowhere near as competitive.) If you have driven a BMWs you know how bad Mapbox nav is is compared to Google Maps.

Rivian team... I assume even YOU prefer Google Maps/waze etc. It obviously is an Amazon push. Blink twice if we should start a petition or let us know how we can help.

I think this is way more important than Rivian understands. You can create a great car but If the foundational needs aren't met.. it's not worth it. I honestly may even prefer Apple Maps to mapbox or Tomtom lol.

I honestly can't even believe I'm still considering a vehicle with a 20 inch screen and i'll STILL have to get a phone mount for directions.
Sponsored

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
It's definitely very disappointing CarPlay / Android Auto aren't available but I can (somewhat, maybe?) rationalize that. However, if the only mapping option is Mapbox or TomTom... It may be a deal breaker for me. (and a looottttt of other people)

Hear me out:
Clearly the Rivian team is design driven -- They have done a pretty remarkable job building a very forward thinking car.
Unfortunately, as much utility and enjoyment i'll get from features like the gear tunnel, I will use a map 50x more often. Good directions are paramount, especially on long drives. (Google Maps and Waze have all of the live data from current Cars on the road. The others are nowhere near as competitive.) If you have driven a BMWs you know how bad Mapbox nav is is compared to Google Maps.

Rivian team... I assume even YOU prefer Google Maps/waze etc. It obviously is an Amazon push. Blink twice if we should start a petition or let us know how we can help.

I think this is way more important than Rivian understands. You can create a great car but If the foundational needs aren't met.. it's not worth it. I honestly may even prefer Apple Maps to mapbox or Tomtom lol.

I honestly can't even believe I'm still considering a vehicle with a 20 inch screen and i'll STILL have to get a phone mount for directions.
Apple Maps has come a long way FYI.

boneil1

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
Whats the issue with mapbox? I use android auto and google maps but I couldn't tell you why it's better or worst than anything else. In fact I routinely get pissed off at android auto and google maps. I don't like using android auto. I welcome the change.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Apple Maps has come a long way FYI.
Definitely has. When Apple Maps first came out it was not great. But now I think it’s better than Google Maps — at least when it comes to visual presentation, routing, UI, and voice guidance. The only area where Google Maps still wins, in my book, is I like the ability to toggle on satellite view and the Google search is better.

Sometimes I’ll use Google to get the address, and Apple Maps to actually do the navigating.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
All of the love for Waze on this forum is really triggering me right now. I spent an extra 30 minutes in awful traffic and apparently unable to get where I was going because of Waze just 2 weekends back. The main root of the problem: Waze, unlike Google and Apple Maps, didn't seem to know about ANY of the multiple road closures that were the result of months-long construction on 2 streets and event-related closures on several others. I eventually pulled up Apple Maps and my wife pulled up Google Maps and both had the closures correctly flagged and were able to navigate us to our destination.

Sponsored

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
i'm hard pressed to tell the difference between google, waze, apple or tesla when it comes to routing and directions. Give me a regular car vendor though and they're terrible and they charge hundreds to update the maps, they gotta go.

I still want carplay

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
.....and there goes a reservation. Lol.
Movin on up! :)
honestly my cars are all 2015 with no navigation, I’m used to my phone I admit, I had a BMW with heads up display and a good navigation, but I think once I get used to this Rivian it will be all good. There is a big difference between google maps and some of the others out there for sure. However, I’m hearing impaired so some work better on the play by play too, as long as I can tell how many streets I need to make a turn and what is the next move so I’m in the correct lane it’s all good! ?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
They should be using the leader and innovator in consumer mapping & GPS…. Garmin ?

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
I'm very happy to see that it isn't Google Maps since it can't even find my house (all others have been able to find it no problem for the past 15 years). I'm also happy that my Rivian purchase won't be funding that company.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

All of the love for Waze on this forum is really triggering me right now.
Waze has probably saved me THOUSANDS in speeding tickets. Perhaps even saved me from a night in jail. The love for it is well deserved.

I'm very happy to see that it isn't Google Maps since it can't even find my house (all others have been able to find it no problem for the past 15 years). I'm also happy that my Rivian purchase won't be funding that company.
Are you aware that you can contact Google to have the map corrected? I've done it a few times and it's fairly easy. I even got them to bring their street view vehicle through my neighborhood once.
Sponsored

Last edited: