Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I think you are spot on about the disappointment with the map data, I can’t say I have a specific knowledge about mapbox but that is just because I have been using Apple/Google maps for years. As I have already said elsewhere in my experience if you‘re looking for a remote trailhead or travel on remote forest roads then google maps will probably be the only option.

Another thought. Are map updates going to come with an upgrade fee or a Rivian subscription required. Based on what we have learned in the last week that wouldn’t surprise me at all.
Sponsored

fromSf

First Name
m
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H, 2023 Genesis GV60

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
Waze has probably saved me THOUSANDS in speeding tickets. Perhaps even saved me from a night in jail. The one for it is well deserved.

Are you aware that you can contact Google to have the map corrected? I've done it a few times and it's fairly easy. I even got them to bring their street view vehicle through my neighborhood once.
Dozens of complaints/feedback from myself and others have done nothing. I've been on their street view for many years. It's not like they don't know where the house is, they just insist you hike through the woods, over fences and across a horse farm instead of taking the nice paved roads that have existed for decades.

Might need to look into Waze though. Excess speed is a close friend of mine.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Waze has probably saved me THOUSANDS in speeding tickets. Perhaps even saved me from a night in jail. The one for it is well deserved.
Well that's not something I have any sympathy for, honestly. The basic function of navigation applications is to get someone to their destination. If they cannot do that accurately and efficiently, they are useless. I couldn't care less if you end up in jail because you were breaking the law, and preventing you from getting busted for something is really the absolute last thing Rivian should prioritize in their selection of a mapping provider.

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Waze is a subsidiary of Google, bought for 1.1Billion in 2013. It is one of the reasons why google maps now also has speed traps, accident alerts, etc.
That said, I believe that the underlying map engines are still different. Roads, etc. are built from a different dataset for Waze and google maps.

Sponsored

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

I'm very happy to see that it isn't Google Maps since it can't even find my house (all others have been able to find it no problem for the past 15 years). I'm also happy that my Rivian purchase won't be funding that company.
you know, you can submit corrections for that right from the Maps app

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I think you are spot on about the disappointment with the map data, I can’t say I have a specific knowledge about mapbox but that is just because I have been using Apple/Google maps for years. As I have already said elsewhere in my experience if you‘re looking for a remote trailhead or travel on remote forest roads then google maps will probably be the only option.
I've noticed that Google has a lot of off road trails on it. The fact that you can also cache maps to the app helps a lot. But you're reminding me of another point. Off road maps like Gaia and ONX are almost essential for most off roading situations. You can download checkpoints of trails to Gaia from TrailsOffroad.com. It gives you a lot of information when hitting the trails around Colorado.

Agreed, Apple Maps feel superior to Google Maps these days.
I haven't used it that much BUT the times I have used it have been impressive. Apple has come A LONG way with this app.

Dozens of complaints/feedback from myself and others have done nothing. I've been on their street view for many years. It's not like they don't know where the house is, they just insist you hike through the woods, over fences and across a horse farm instead of taking the nice paved roads that have existed for decades.

Might need to look into Waze though. Excess speed is a close friend of mine.
That sucks man. I haven't had that experience but I have no doubt of your claim.

Well that's not something I have any sympathy for, honestly. The basic function of navigation applications is to get someone to their destination. If they cannot do that accurately and efficiently, they are useless. I couldn't care less if you end up in jail because you were breaking the law, and preventing you from getting busted for something is really the absolute last thing Rivian should prioritize in their selection of a mapping provider.
Meh.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
i'm hard pressed to tell the difference between google, waze, apple or tesla when it comes to routing and directions. Give me a regular car vendor though and they're terrible and they charge hundreds to update the maps, they gotta go.

I still want carplay
Starships have scanners too.

Kmann1994

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Head of Product
It’s honestly hilariously entertaining to me to see the things people on this forum consider “dealbreakers” for them.

Also how little faith some people have in the smart folks at Rivian who are probably making informed and good decisions about what technology to put in their vehicles.

Oh well, move me up one in the queue please by canceling!

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
It’s honestly hilariously entertaining to me to see the things people on this forum consider “dealbreakers” for them.
I think my favorite was that a tall cup in one of the cupholders might partially interfere with the air flow from one of the vents. That was actually listed as a possible "dealbreaker".

Sponsored

OP
OP

MountainWaves

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5
And you might have been bumped up the reservation queue!
.....and there goes a reservation. Lol.
Unfortunately, my reservation seems newer than yours (and most people here) so I won't be helping anybody move up.

One thing I've realized looking at this thread that actually makes a lot of sense is that.. maps don't matter as much if you live in smaller towns etc. Something I think a lot of people aren't realizing is that Good maps are way more important in larger cities like LA, The SF Bay Area, Austin. I also have my frustrations with Waze but its also saved me hours driving to go surfing in Malibu, dinner with friends across the city etc.

Apple Maps has come a long way FYI.
Overall I agree! it's drastically improved over the past few years. From a UX perspective, It actually is probably my favorite. On IOS it is undoubtedly the most fluid to use.

I'm very happy to see that it isn't Google Maps since it can't even find my house (all others have been able to find it no problem for the past 15 years). I'm also happy that my Rivian purchase won't be funding that company.
I appreciate you pointing this out. I think you're a perfect example of someone who would be a lot less reliant on maps than I. Based on your photo and where you live, I doubt you have to deal with the amount of traffic I run into. (Before the comments, the traffic is 100% worth it for the lifestyle and endless activities here). FYI "funding that company" is a pretty funny comment.. You're still helping fund big tech, Amazon is arguably a less desirable company IMO. Overall I appreciate the perspective! Amazon ownership is not going to hinder me personally but just wanted to point that out.

Also how little faith some people have in the smart folks at Rivian who are probably making informed and good decisions about what technology to put in their vehicles.

Oh well, move me up one in the queue please by canceling!
"how little faith some people have in the smart folks at Rivian" I pretty explicitly praised the Rivian team abilities in my post. I completely agree with this sentiment. The car is undoubtedly extremely well designed. This is clearly an amazon decision thats impacting the product team. In their original mocks / UI, they were using Google.

"move me up one in the queue please by canceling!" Wish I could have helped you there!

Overall, I appreciate people's perspective here. I do think people who are surprised or frustrated by this "request" or comment need to realize that everyone has different needs than they do. If you live in less populated state or More rural areas, up to date mapping is less important than places that have a lot more cars on the road. It feels like a totally reasonable discussion or question to ask. Anyway, I hope everyone gets their vehicles soon! Clearly thats what everyone here is fiending for, including myself. (which is how I justified writing a response this long) :)

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
... It's not like they don't know where the house is, they just insist you hike through the woods, over fences and across a horse farm instead of taking the nice paved roads that have existed for decades...
Maybe Google was planning on everyone driving Rivians to get there ...

Kmann1994

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Head of Product
This is clearly an amazon decision thats impacting the product team. In their original mocks / UI, they were using Google.
I think people vastly misunderstand the influence Amazon has in Rivian's product design. I'm willing to bet $1000 Amazon had absolutely no final decision in anything product-wise with Rivian.

As for the Alexa integration, they would have had to build voice control into the car one way or another since every car has it. Why not use an out-of-the-box solution from one of the most popular and well-supported virtual assistants that's already on the market, saving you tons of time in the process?

As someone who works on a product team, choosing an Alexa integration for my vehicle product would have been a no-brainer decision with or without Amazon.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
I appreciate you pointing this out. I think you're a perfect example of someone who would be a lot less reliant on maps than I. Based on your photo and where you live, I doubt you have to deal with the amount of traffic I run into. (Before the comments, the traffic is 100% worth it for the lifestyle and endless activities here). FYI "funding that company" is a pretty funny comment.. You're still helping fund big tech, Amazon is arguably a less desirable company IMO. Overall I appreciate the perspective! Amazon ownership is not going to hinder me personally but just wanted to point that out.
Completely agreed, I just like spreading my information around to the different companies so no single company has all of my information. Google has my Android information, Mozilla has my browsing information, Apple has my music information, Amazon and Walmart have my online shopping information, etc. Since most of those companies don't like sharing their information too much, it makes them harder to get a full picture of me. Thankfully, I'm not on social media (aside from automotive forums) and don't use any voice assistants.

As for maps, I use them regularly for work, but not for traffic thankfully. No knocks on your location as your state is beautiful and the charging network is something to be envied by those on the east coast, but I'll happily stay here.
Sponsored