Sponsored

What do you want addressed in the next OTA update?

tusharparmar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I have been facing some really critical & annoying issues listed below,
  1. Navigation screen crashes and refuses to open up while I am on road and in need of navigation help. It also doesn't show navigation/speed limit info on driver display.
    I have faced this issue on multiple occasions and I guess it happens when a start navigation, end it for some reason and then restart it.
  2. Switching between the screen has been slow and lagging, - This is really frustrating especially when I need to quickly open hood/tailgate and at times I had to wait up to 15 seconds for screen to appear.
    IMO, hood, tailgate, charge port should be added to top bar as "touch and hold button" for quick access to frequently used features.
  3. Navigation route planning has been on & off for me, especially during road trips it can be way off from optimal or close to optimal route. On few occasions difference between Google Maps & Rivian Navigation has been 30 minutes to an hour off. This definitely needs major upgrade. I believe it is work in progress.
  4. Driver+ should support lane change when engaged, This has been really annoying part of road tip for us because with 2 lane freeways I was way more busier than expected changing lanes & engaging/dis-engaging Driver+. IMO Rivian can start with basic solution of allowing manual lane change while Driver+ engaged and later come up with more sophisticated auto lane change feature when indicated to do so.
  5. Alexa doesn't understand me 50% of the time, My major concern with Alexa is that it doesn't really understand my Indian origin accent well. I have Alexa speaker at home and it does support English (India), Rivian should offer more language options(already available) for Alexa.
  6. More level and memory option for hood/tailgate, I have a very very tight apartment garage and I already had several incident banging my hood and tailgate while trying to open in garage. If there were at least 2 level for hood and probably 3 level opening for tailgate then those incidents could have been avoided. I believe it was reported by others and just re-iterating the need.
  7. Some of my speakers rattle while "3D Surround Sound" is set to "Enhanced" from EQ. When I set it to "ON" then rattling goes away immediately. I believe this is SW+HW issue.
  8. Music app has been consistently annoying for me, Some of the observed issues are
    1. At times shuffle/repeat doesn't work, or at least doesn't appear as working
    2. Song thumbnail is different from actual song played
    3. I was facing a very weird issue initially (Before I signed up for Spotify Premium), though Alexa was playing song I requested it was still prompting back that it couldn't play it. This was happening after almost every song request

These are some good to have features IMO,
  • Overall Alexa on Rivian is very limited in features compared to its original version, Rivian should unlock more of it.
  • It will be ideal if Rivian could offer mobile screen cast feature for center screen. It could be really helpful and meaning use of huge screen for attending meetings on the go. I do not expect it to occupy whole screen but 60-40 split might work out as well.
  • Automatically turn on camera when garage is opened, front or back view depending on drive mode
  • Web browsing and video streaming addition will be a welcome option
Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
It seems like 12V batteries going dead and bricking cars while not real common is a severe enough to those affected to warrant OTA update giving us 12V battery charge status on the dash (in a menu is fine) as well as in the app and push notification indicating the 12V is getting low before its bricked.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It seems like 12V batteries going dead and bricking cars while not real common is a severe enough to those affected to warrant OTA update giving us 12V battery charge status on the dash (in a menu is fine) as well as in the app and push notification indicating the 12V is getting low before its bricked.
I believe in the law of unintended consequences. Enabling a system to notify of a dying battery is probably going to mean more dying batteries.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I believe in the law of unintended consequences. Enabling a system to notify of a dying battery is probably going to mean more dying batteries.
oofff, that would be unfortunate.
Bricked R1T when on road trips or at times when it would be particularly inconvenient is now something in back of my mind. My R1t may have no issues but some reassurances would be nice. Maybe Rivian could recommend a jump pack that meets the criteria for using the leads in the hitch compartment. 30A constant output for min 20 minutes with leads that have 0V across them is a unique ask. Then there's the issue of where to keep the jump pack where you could access it with a bricked truck. Emergency tailgate or gear tunnel release is in order.

riviantogo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Lexus Rx350
Apologies if this has been posted before, but RivIan, please link the vent aim settings to driver memory. My wife is one of those crazy people who doesn’t like air on them, and I’d prefer the AC run like a leaf blower in my face. The result is constant vent re-adjusting between driver swaps, which serves to highlight the cumbersome nature of e-vent aiming (and also cannot be done safely while driving). I am hopeful this is an easy request. Vent memory would really turn e-vents into a positive instead of a negative.
I'll second that.
I'd be happy with vent memory for even one person (me) since I drive it most of the time. After all, shouldn't the vehicle sport vent setting at least as good as the vents in a lexus rx 350? You should have to set them once and you are finished. Having to adjust them every time you start up is a disappointment.
Apologies if this has been posted before, but RivIan, please link the vent aim settings to driver memory. My wife is one of those crazy people who doesn’t like air on them, and I’d prefer the AC run like a leaf blower in my face. The result is constant vent re-adjusting between driver swaps, which serves to highlight the cumbersome nature of e-vent aiming (and also cannot be done safely while driving). I am hopeful this is an easy request. Vent memory would really turn e-vents into a positive instead of a negative.
I'll second that.
I'd be happy with vent memory for even one person (me) since I drive it most of the time. After all, shouldn't the vehicle vent settings be at least as good as those in a lexus rx 350? You should have to set them once and then you are finished. Having to adjust them every time you start up is a disappointment.

Sponsored

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV

Dougs22

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SRT 10, Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired Airline Pilot
I don't use Amazon Music, so can't speak to that. But I will say that the sensitivity of Alexa to the "wake word" needs to be turned wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy down. Anything that even vaguely sounds like Alexa (she's been triggered by me saying Lexus, let us, Alex, excess, etc) sets her off, and it's really annoying

Other than that I guess my biggest desires would be:

1) A middle setting for the suspension. Soft is a little too wallow-y for my taste, while Stiff is just plain uncomfortable over anything that isn't smooth road. So something in the middle would be welcome

2) Dog Mode (I know RJ has said it's coming, but you know how that goes)

3) The ability to set the preconditioning for the cabin to a specific temperature rather than what the app says is "Comfortable," and to remotely activate the heated seats/steering wheel (my 2018 XC60 had that function)

4) Make the ACC more usable in bad weather, either by expanding its operating parameters, or giving us the option to use just normal "fixed" cruise control when ACC shuts off. The Seattle area is, well, rainy, and the ACC has a nasty habit of cutting out in medium-to-heavy rain conditions

This next one isn't OTA related, but I wish the Rivian app did more. Again turning to my XC60, the Volvo app let me condition the cabin to a specific temperature, trigger the heated seats/steering wheel, and search for and send a Nav destination to the car before getting in.
Would like to have garage door opener function sync with auto gate Doorking openers

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

I have been facing some really critical & annoying issues listed below,
  1. Navigation screen crashes and refuses to open up while I am on road and in need of navigation help. It also doesn't show navigation/speed limit info on driver display.
    I have faced this issue on multiple occasions and I guess it happens when a start navigation, end it for some reason and then restart it.
  2. Switching between the screen has been slow and lagging, - This is really frustrating especially when I need to quickly open hood/tailgate and at times I had to wait up to 15 seconds for screen to appear.
    IMO, hood, tailgate, charge port should be added to top bar as "touch and hold button" for quick access to frequently used features.
  3. Navigation route planning has been on & off for me, especially during road trips it can be way off from optimal or close to optimal route. On few occasions difference between Google Maps & Rivian Navigation has been 30 minutes to an hour off. This definitely needs major upgrade. I believe it is work in progress.
  4. Driver+ should support lane change when engaged, This has been really annoying part of road tip for us because with 2 lane freeways I was way more busier than expected changing lanes & engaging/dis-engaging Driver+. IMO Rivian can start with basic solution of allowing manual lane change while Driver+ engaged and later come up with more sophisticated auto lane change feature when indicated to do so.
  5. Alexa doesn't understand me 50% of the time, My major concern with Alexa is that it doesn't really understand my Indian origin accent well. I have Alexa speaker at home and it does support English (India), Rivian should offer more language options(already available) for Alexa.
  6. More level and memory option for hood/tailgate, I have a very very tight apartment garage and I already had several incident banging my hood and tailgate while trying to open in garage. If there were at least 2 level for hood and probably 3 level opening for tailgate then those incidents could have been avoided. I believe it was reported by others and just re-iterating the need.
  7. Some of my speakers rattle while "3D Surround Sound" is set to "Enhanced" from EQ. When I set it to "ON" then rattling goes away immediately. I believe this is SW+HW issue.
  8. Music app has been consistently annoying for me, Some of the observed issues are
    1. At times shuffle/repeat doesn't work, or at least doesn't appear as working
    2. Song thumbnail is different from actual song played
    3. I was facing a very weird issue initially (Before I signed up for Spotify Premium), though Alexa was playing song I requested it was still prompting back that it couldn't play it. This was happening after almost every song request

These are some good to have features IMO,
  • Overall Alexa on Rivian is very limited in features compared to its original version, Rivian should unlock more of it.
  • It will be ideal if Rivian could offer mobile screen cast feature for center screen. It could be really helpful and meaning use of huge screen for attending meetings on the go. I do not expect it to occupy whole screen but 60-40 split might work out as well.
  • Automatically turn on camera when garage is opened, front or back view depending on drive mode
  • Web browsing and video streaming addition will be a welcome option
1 and 2 sound like more specific issues than general OTA updates. I do not experience any of those issues in general. Maybe a little lag if the truck just woke up and I’ve gotten inside quickly, but nothing like what you’re describing.

s00n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne S - Jeep LJ Rubicon - R1S
R1S specific:
When in Camp Mode, being able to make camp mode/climate control adjustments from the 2nd row screen would be awesome. When inside on a mattress in the rear, I found myself reaching over the front center console from the mattress to change temp etc. at the main screen. Having the ability to adjust temp/lighting/modes within reach would be pretty nice.

Last edited:

tusharparmar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

1 and 2 sound like more specific issues than general OTA updates. I do not experience any of those issues in general. Maybe a little lag if the truck just woke up and I’ve gotten inside quickly, but nothing like what you’re describing.
In my experience #1 happened mostly when I had to start, stop and then restart navigation.
Do you mind trying to start navigation then end it and then restart it and later after minute or so go to vehicle or music screen? I had issues coming back to maps after that and it was crashing on both the screens. Since everytime I was driving alone, had no chance to capture videos.
#2 is more of a regular issue but time delay varies between 5-15 sec in my experience.

Not sure if any leftover cached data from OTA updates are causing this issue or not but I will try doing infotainment reset and monitor further.

Is there a better place to report these issues to Rivian?

Sponsored

Wefty

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 2008 Fit
I also have delays switching screens. It feels like the car is loading a new app instead of switching between already open screens.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I have a few waypoints saved as favorites that are just lat/long coordinates. Still would love to be able to change the label on them since Rivian seems to be focusing somewhat on improving the navigation experience right now.
Sponsored