Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Canyon Red R1S, Hyundai IONIC 5, Ford Lightning
Occupation
Battery Systems Engineer
Clubs

Hey, folks -

I have an R1S reservation allegedly due sometime in Oct-Dec. I'm not holding my breath, however, since Rivian's moved that Window about 37 times now. Anyway, our house mate has an R1T, so we've had lots of opportunities to look at things that are common to both R1T and R1S, and one item that keeps coming up is electrical power for modifications - and that means learning more about the fuse box. After lots of unnatural bending, contorting and folding of my body parts, this is the best picture I was able to capture of the Interior Passenger Side Fuse Box. Located where the glove box would normally be, behind the passenger knee airbag rubberized panel, upside-down, slightly tilted and placed in a horrendously awful position to support any kind of easy serviceability:

Rivian R1T R1S Interior passenger-side fuse box Interior_Fuse_Box

Unfortunately, and for reasons known only to Rivian, they don't provide any diagram or schematic for this box - you know, like every other car manufacturer in the world does...and I have spent a considerable amount of time hunting for it. At some point, Rivian will be required by law to provide these details per Right-To-Repair legislation, but until they get told by the government to provide this information, it would seem they aren't inclined to help us "stay adventurous" in this particular endeavor. I have asked my worthless guide for assistance, and they tell me to ask the service center who tells me to talk to my guide, etc...

Once I get my R1S, I'll just map the damn thing myself, but I'm really hoping it doesn't have to come to that. People want to modify their vehicles, and going through the fuse box is the best way to do that. Why Rivian thinks that not providing this information up-front in the owner's guide was a good idea is completely beyond me, but someone at Rivian should get their ass kicked for this [in my opinion]. Rivian has demonstrated time and time again that they have some serious customer communications problems, and this is essentially just more of that. Anyway, I digress...

The only modification I have made to the picture is to re-add the 10A fuse that would normally be hidden behind that big metal body panel clip at the top of the photo. The rest of the fuses and their associated values are visible. I have other pictures of the fuse box if needed as this plays out.

So, the question is, has anyone had an opportunity (or desire) to start the process of mapping the fuse box, or am I the only R1 future owner that cares about knowing these details?

UPDATE: See page 2 of this thread for complete layout information for both the driver's side and passenger's side fuse box!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Deleted member 7086

I have had the same communications with Rivian and the same results. It appears they consider wiring diagrams to be classified ā€œtop secret.ā€ It would be so simple to add the fuse box diagram to the ownersā€™ manual like every other manufacturer. When I have asked what happens if you blow a fuse? The response has been they will come and fix it. LOL if you are in the middle of nowhere. For a company who is incredibly talented in developing and brining to market a very complex EV they are very naive when it comes to the actual use of a 4 x 4. These vehicles are not just going to be driven around New Port, CA where help is a phone call away.

Grajjie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M340i, Ioniq Electric, Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
Clubs

As someone that wants to hardwire a dashcam with a fuse tap this is a bit annoying.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Contact your state AG with a ā€œright to repairā€ issue. Perpetrating such jackassery on their customers isn't gonna win them any more direct sales-friendly states.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
I thought the OM actually states there is no fuse box?

Sponsored

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I thought the OM actually states there is no fuse box?
Just searched a copy I have downloaded. The word fuse doea not appear in it at all.

Rally1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, VS30, LR4, LR3
I just popped the rear 12v outlet, am I just supposed to test every fuse?
Starting with the 10Aā€¦

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
When I have asked what happens if you blow a fuse? The response has been they will come and fix it.
for the low, low price of $55 plus $6.50 per mile!

too soon?

Rally1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, VS30, LR4, LR3
So I called support, they were very nice, they dont have a diagram. They (say they) will call me back once they get the info from a Service Center.

After contorting my body in ways I shouldnā€™t at this age I got a decent view of the fuses. I literally put the passenger seat all the way back and laid with my feet past the headrest as one option. Ultimately settled on legs out the passenger door, head under the dash (glasses on, flashlight propped up)ā€¦

I tested continuity on every mini fuse. It says max 180W, so guessing 15A fuse. Took out each of the two 15A fuses for a visual too, all good. So at a bit of a loss.

It certainly no longer has power, and did before. Iā€™d be surprised if there was a secondary/sub fuse panel anywhere.

Not a deal breaker, just a bit if a pain. My own fault for blowing it though.

Last edited:

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

After contorting my body in ways I shouldnā€™t at this age I got a decent view of the fuses. I literally laid the passenger seat all the way back and lay with my feet past the headrest as one option. Ultimately settled on legs out the passenger door, head under the dash (glasses on, flashlight propped up).
Coming this fall to PBS: Rivians, Fuses and You

Rivian R1T R1S Interior passenger-side fuse box 1665310740872

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

So I called support, they were very nice, they dont have a diagram. They (say they) will call me back once they get the info from a Service Center.

After contorting my body in ways I shouldnā€™t at this age I got a decent view of the fuses. I literally put the passenger seat all the way back and laid with my feet past the headrest as one option. Ultimately settled on legs out the passenger door, head under the dash (glasses on, flashlight propped up)ā€¦

I tested continuity on every mini fuse. It says max 180W, so guessing 15A fuse. Took out each of the two 15A fuses for a visual too, all good. So at a bit of a loss.

It certainly no longer has power, and did before. Iā€™d be surprised if there was a secondary/sub fuse panel anywhere.

Not a deal breaker, just a bit if a pain. My own fault for blowing it though.
Are you sure your device doesn't have a fuse in the 12V connector? Most of the ones I've dealt with stick a glass fuse behind the spring loaded center pin.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Just pull more fuses and pop them until it makes the vehicle undrivable.
Might be a global solution to a bigger problem?

I don't really mean this, as I would not ever do this, but it does point out the ignorance of the current new policy.

Deleted member 7086

There is supposed to be a second fuse box under the dash on the driverā€™s side but I have not confirmed this. Why couldnā€™t they put the fuse boxes in the frunk like normal car manufacturers?
Sponsored